Sayonara anime central?

evangelion rocks

Vampire Ninja
Basically a follow up on the other thread i created on the subject of anime central's lack of new programming.As of today anime central is no longer listed on the ofcom website and has been replaced with true entertainment.Now, this isn't definate news of the end(takes grim reeper hood off)as there hasn't been an official statement,but then again we all know how good anime central are at communication :p I will be watching out over the next few days to see if anything crops up.

I'd say what a blow this was but I'm honestly not really bothered. The programs aired too quickly with a new episode a day and they were rerun too often. I won't miss it.

I heard they might start airing some subtitled shows at some point but so far nothing.

If it had ( or will in the future) then I would gladly watch the channel, but since I have a serious dislike of american dubs I have never watched any of it.
Well... I saw a few Cowboy Bebops before the dub became too much to bear.

I really hope it won't go off the air and start showing some un-dubbed shows. Then I'd watch it.

It does not help by only starting programs at 9pm... surly they could show Digimon or Pokemon during the day?
Licence issues?

I'd say that pretty much confirms it will close.

It could launch as a block on True Entertainment (if it's a general entertainment channel) though.

Gundam Junkie said:
I heard they might start airing some subtitled shows at some point but so far nothing.

If it had ( or will in the future) then I would gladly watch the channel, but since I have a serious dislike of american dubs I have never watched any of it.
Well... I saw a few Cowboy Bebops before the dub became too much to bear.

I really hope it won't go off the air and start showing some un-dubbed shows. Then I'd watch it.

It does not help by only starting programs at 9pm... surly they could show Digimon or Pokemon during the day?
Licence issues?

They presently can't show anything before 9pm due to the fact that the channel is shared with pop girl which runs unit 9pm.And if true entertainment is anything like true movies it wil be entirely live action.

I'm just waiting to see what comes of Animax. They seem to be waiting for slots in the Freeview service at the moment... Freesat (just launched) might give them another option though.

Hmm, it is disapointing that it would go this way, but Anime Central really should have made more an effort in regards to scheduling and the like.

Gundam Junkie said:

They did show subs, last repeat of the night was shown in subs for several of the series. When they did show a subtitled ep during the dub slot there was outcry from the sub haters as they didn't want to have to read the subs in order to watch the show.

And being such a niche market there is no way they could please everyone at the same time.

Animax is a pay channel everywhere else, I seriously doubt they'd launch on freesat. Also freesat relies on the Sky EPG and thats full. (hence the no more sat channels problem) They've said they want to launch as a VoD service first.

Well, until I move house, I'm screwed anyway since I can't get Sky.
melonpan said:
I'm just waiting to see what comes of Animax. They seem to be waiting for slots in the Freeview service at the moment... Freesat (just launched) might give them another option though.
I doubt it'll happen, and we'll have to pay for it when it (finally) comes around.

Sad news for the anime community in general, but I feel the same as everyone else. They didn't do a good job on schedule, etc.

I do hope that Animax comes to life and do well. More fans, more sales, more sales, the anime industry here might take off =)

chaos said:
I do hope that Animax comes to life and do well. More fans, more sales, more sales, the anime industry here might take off =)

I'd put money on Animax getting the same reaction as AN/AC got. Sorry guys but you're a picky lot ;)

Also something to note is Animax have done their own dubs. No indication if the European animax channels are sub or dub.

It is strange that the UK is lagging quite far behind most of Europe when it comes to anime on TV.

Project-2501 said:
chaos said:

I'd put money on Animax getting the same reaction as AN/AC got. Sorry guys but you're a picky lot ;)

Also something to note is Animax have done their own dubs. No indication if the European animax channels are sub or dub.

It is strange that the UK is lagging quite far behind most of Europe when it comes to anime on TV.

tbf though anime in most of europe has found it easy to get onto terrestial tv

I remember when i went to spain or france they had plenty of it on

I work with two Italians and they grew up watching Lupin. They're used to non-native language programming so showing subtitled 'cartoons' was OK. Here we have to suffer at the hands of the US animation industry.

As sad as it is, Its been virtually dead since.. Christmas or something. That True Entertainment (even though it says its cartoons, ;/) will probably fit along with the other set of "True" channels like True Movies. Possibly, Airing foregn animation in general, Like that new Kix channel - I saw some awful dubbing of some show on there, the other day.
melonpan said:
Freesat (just launched) might give them another option though.
I've got to say, I want FreeSat.. Just for the free HD channels.

Ryo Chan said:
tbf though anime in most of europe has found it easy to get onto terrestial tv

I remember when i went to spain or france they had plenty of it on
Yep, listening to the Digimon theme in Spanish was awesome. Ah, good times...

Sy said:
I'd say what a blow this was but I'm honestly not really bothered. The programs aired too quickly with a new episode a day and they were rerun too often. I won't miss it.

Yeah, I agree with this. I actually thought the channel was going to be awesome at first, but it quickly turned into a shambles.

Back