ROW, ROW, FIGHT THE POWAH!!! Gurren Lagann complete simulwatch

Anyway there's obviously a history to their world whether it's based on ours or no and it does have a bearing on the story
There would arguably be some kind of history to GL's world if you wanted to think about it that hard, yes. But what isn't actually included in the screenplay that Kazuki Nakashima wrote for the show would really be rendered irrelevant anyway.

We had this debate last year.
I... can't even remember. 😅
I'm guessing it was in the war film simulwatch thread?

Now I think about it, I seem to remember quoting bits from The Wind Rises art book somewhere. Was that it? 🤔

I took a look at the menu and didn't find any variation of episode 6, is it in another disc?
Yep, you've caught it ahead of me, João. For anyone else planning to watch the TV edit of episode 6, you can find it on disc 4 of Anime Limited's Blu-ray in the menu for the bonus features. It's "TV broadcast version of episode 6", the second option from the bottom.

To pick up on something else about Star Driver, by the way, I was watching that OP again, and I forgot to mention before that the bit near the end where the Tauburn emerges out of the water is really neat too. I love the animation on the churning water and the robot's movement.

Yep, you've caught it ahead of me, João. For anyone else planning to watch the TV edit of episode 6, you can find it on disc 4 of Anime Limited's Blu-ray in the menu for the bonus features. It's "TV broadcast version of episode 6", the second option from the bottom.
I wasn't planning on watching both, but two seprate disc's, combined with the power of too many devices, my dual screen PC also has a blu ray player near by so I can hook the second monitor/TV upto to that and can watch both episodes at once (what could possibly go wrong).

I meant to pick up on this about episode 2 before we hit episode 4:

Kamina’s dad is obviously Captain Harlock, come on.
Funnily enough, I got strong Harlock vibes from that short prologue at the beginning of episode 1. Only from the character's costume, though; his attitude was rather aggressive and cocky.

And now...

Episode 4

e35Y8WC.jpg

"Who the hell does the guest director think I am??!"

Discuss? 😬

Episode 4

Just what the hell do you think I am?

After the blistering pace of the previous 3 episodes this one didn't really do anything, the main take away seems to be the intro of the black siblings.

Definite quality drop on the animation as well, it's not terrible but it's nowhere near as polished as the others were. Characters in particular looked weird.

I am glad they went back on track for the rest of the show, although 6 was optional viewing also.

Last edited:
Episode 4
If you close your eyes, it sound like a regular episode of GL, but open them and you'd swear they let a 15-year-old fan draw that episode in MS Paint. It's certainly not the worst thing ever; it's just weird to see something from Gainax looking like a low-end webtoon. Plotwise...yeah, there's nothing to unpack here, except that Kamina would rather die than look uncool.

To pick up on something else about Star Driver, by the way, I was watching that OP again, and I forgot to mention before that the bit near the end where the Tauburn emerges out of the water is really neat too. I love the animation on the churning water and the robot's movement.

Alright, I'm just gonna watch both one after the other so I can see the differences. Is it the hot springs episode?

Yeah, I watched it a couple of times after you posted the video and it's cool as hell with the colour, movement and just the concept of side scrolling the entire thing in the opposite direction one is accustomed to. The bit with Tauburn and Takuto turning into light is great, yeah. The close up when the cat appears is also cool.

I double checked to make sure I wasn't spewing nonsense and yeah, Watanabe storyboarded and directed the whole thing. Pretty cool when he turns up in other stuff! I think he was a music producer on Michiko & Hatchin and Fujiko Miine, too, right?

I know Shingo Natsume (OPM director and all around very capable creator and animator) did some key animation for Lagann, too, but there should be some well known animators in there, as I remember quite a few gorgeous scenes and fights.

Oh s.h.i.t, the episode yeah. Had a busy day, let me get on that.

Right, the episode.

4, filmed with everyone's stunt doubles.

I'm OK with the the artsyle (for one ep), it reminds me that I've seen this almost exact animation and artsyle in at least two other anime series, if in not mistaken. It's kinda like the missing-a-frame-in-every-scene-artsy cartoon counterpart to Lagann's animation-flexing cartoon side.

Maybe.

Yoko looking like a Hannah-Barbera character just before going to help Simon was a particular highlight lol

Anyway, I like Kittan, so it's cool he's joined the party and the scene after them combining with the Gurren Lagann surfing in the dirt and the camera going up its frame was pretty cool. Them fighting against a setting sun triggered my Eva-03 getting gored to the sound of Shinji's screams PTSD almost immediately.

Neeext.

I'm just gonna watch both one after the other so I can see the differences. Is it the hot springs episode?
That's a solid idea, dude. You'll see just how different each episode is; the first half of the TV one's been reduced to no more than a clip show. And yeah, it's the hot springs episode.

I'll get back to you on the other things, but in the meantime, my girlfriend enjoys your posts and wants to send you some flames and stuff, so here she goes:
🔥💥🤩🔥💥🤩🔥💥🤩🔥💥🤩

There you go, man. 😅👍
Hope you enjoyed.

Last edited:
Don't suppose anyone has the necessary skills and tools to add the GL glasses into my Ichigo avatar? I could do it but I don't have Photoshop installed atm.

I will promise to use it for at least the remainder of the rewatch, maybe even a bit longer!

Link if anyone fancies giving it a go!

P.S. I know that 002 is the superior waifu, but I wanted an avatar that wasn't as obvious a choice.

Don't suppose anyone has the necessary skills and tools to add the GL glasses into my Ichigo avatar? I could do it but I don't have Photoshop installed atm.
I normally really enjoy doing stuff like this but I have literally been trying to get the perspective right for about 20 minutes.

Untitled-1.jpg

I can't tell any more whether I've actually lost my sense of perspective or there is something a bit wrong with the perspective in that image in the first place. It's driving me nuts. Please advise, or at least put me out of my misery.

I got curious as well, although I just took the lazy option and found and image then used perspective, skew and transfroms on it. it still looks weird, I'm partly guessing the problem is the fact the glasses are just massive. And probably a bit of the angel that we should probably see eye rather than glasses.

Edit just did a quick edit to line the bottom up more
fwoiun1u2.jpg

Last edited:
That's a solid idea, dude. You'll see just how different each episode is; the first half of the TV one's been reduced to no more than a clip show. And yeah, it's the hot springs episode.

I'll get back to you on the other stuff, but in the meantime, my girlfriend enjoys your posts and wants to send you some flames and stuff, so here she goes:
🔥💥🤩🔥💥🤩🔥💥🤩🔥💥🤩

There you go, man. 😅👍
Hope you enjoyed.

That bad, eh? Alright!

Hey, she's right, this thread is sad without fire and explosion emojis WITH HUGE FONT SIZES 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥 This is Lagann after all! Thanks guys 🔥 🌋 💥! I enjoy your posts and your girlfriend's insights too.

I was looking for a gif to post, but all the interesting stuff is 24-hour-le-mans-performance-spoiler tier, so you know, let's not 🤷‍♂️

Saw a late game Simon gif, I swear I got emotional! So dumb. Never realized I like the character this much, but it turns out I really appreciate him.

Episode 5
Enter Rossiu, the character who's such a killjoy that his mere presence drains all colour from the episode. Compared to what we've seen so far, this episode is pretty grim, though it also has some very subtle FOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE-SHADOWIIIIIIIIIIIIIING, since this village's situation acts as a microcosm of the central dilemma for the series. It's unsettling that, after recruiting everyone in sight up to this point, Team Gurren leaves this village in almost the same disturbing state they found it.

I got curious as well, although I just took the lazy option and found and image then used perspective, skew and transfroms on it. it still looks weird, I'm partly guessing the problem is the fact the glasses are just massive. And probably a bit of the angel that we should probably see eye rather than glasses.

Edit just did a quick edit to line the bottom up more
View attachment 17931

Looks good to me, any chance of colour matching them more with the pic? even being almost black would be fine.

Back