Robert Pattinson lined up for 'Akira'

To be honest, that's a ******* good shortlist. That Twilight stigma* will die down soon enough. I'd be surprised if they can get Andrew Garfield, I can't imagine him having much downtime in the next few years, especially for a major project, if he's playing Spidey.

*Let's not forget, a few years back when Justin was at the height of popularity he'd be the one this thread would be devoted too.

I love Chris Pine since Star Trek (2009) so more of him would be lovely.

WTF, Tetsuo is like 25 now? And it is being set in New Manhattan? So it is effective be ing set in NEW NEW YORK?

If any of this comes off it's going to be the biggest bag of balls since Dragon ball!

Justin already has a sci fi flop to his credentials, it was called Southland Tales. I can't imagine who they are trying to market this toward. I had more hopes when DiCaprio was attached to the project.

I can't wait to see how this turns out, Akira has so many ingredients just ripe for a great sci-fi blockbuster. Moving the story from Tokyo to New York really isn't a big deal at all. I will enjoy the coming months of pathetic weaboism on the internet :D

I call BS on this, I saw an article from Entertainment Weekly or something on ComicBookMovie.com saying Joaquin Phoenix and Fassbender are lined up for Kaneda. That's just wrong however you slice it.

Omaru_SD said:
Justin already has a sci fi flop to his credentials, it was called Southland Tales. I can't imagine who they are trying to market this toward. I had more hopes when DiCaprio was attached to the project.

DiCaprio still is attached to the project - he is one of the producers of the film,

Andrew Lazar is producing with Appian Way’s Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Davisson Killoran. Akira has been one of Warner Bros' high priority projects since the studio with Legendary Pictures acquired it for a 7-figure sum 2 years ago from manga publisher Kodansha. The intention has been to make 2 films, each covering 3 books in the series. Akira was first adapted for the screen in 1988

http://www.deadline.com/2011/03/akira-f ... s-rewrite/

So wait, they're keeping the names of Akira and Tetsuo but moving the film to Manhattan?

And I'll just keep my opinions of Robert Pattinson to myself; because Twitards search the internet for the slightest 'off' comment and unleash their stupidy on the poor soul that said it.

This is going to end up as Kanada and his bunch of vespa driving mods up against the clown's motor bike riding rockers. In a Mad max meets quadrophenia mashup with physic powers set in new new york.

gah, why can't they just let this die already? It's not that a good Hollywood adaptation of anime or manga is not possible but everything I've read about this sounds like a horrible idea. The very thought that an Akira movie could be in any way associated with twilight just made me throw up in my mouth a little. :(

Yeah, said this on twitter but, if he does get in it? I think it's easy to say that i probably would avoid this film like a plague. As much as i do thoroughly enjoy Akira, this holywood attempt is becoming more of a disaster. Though 99% of us expected as much for this anyways no doubt.

Way I see it, there's exactly ONE way to do this movie right. Set it in japan, stay faithful to the books. And Hollywood clearly ain't going for that.

It's not a story that you can fiddle about with - a really poor choice for Americanisation, I'd say. Sure, Hollywood gets the action and the set pieces, but trying to adapt the actual books is going to be a nightmare. It's quite subtle stuff in places.

Frankly, as a huge fan of the books and the 1987 movie, there ain't a power in Heavon or on Earth that could persuade me to give this my time.

Hokum said:
If any of this comes off it's going to be the biggest bag of balls since Dragon ball!
So that you can better acknowledge why the alterations have been deemed necessary, there is a certain cinematographic principle of which you must become aware.

In spite of any preferences for the story's original settings and character cast which you may hold, you must nevertheless accept that Warner Brothers have got to have…
We_have_got_to_have_money.png

…money.

I understand that people grew up with this story, but as said, it's really not very adaptable. It could be interesting, but it's such a Japanese tale. However, I think in the next decade we might start seeing other things that film-makers grew up watching. It took a while for Hollywood to get to grips with them, but comic-book films are now anticipated instead of reviled so I think a similar thing will happen with the anime fandom... it's either that or we're getting genuinely good game adaptations. (With games, I'd argue that they are getting more cinematic and eliminating the Hollywood overall from their businesses - am curious about Uncharted though).

Don't understand the R. Patz hate as expected as it is. I absolutely loathe the Twilight saga (for many, many reasons) but it's not like he respects it either.

I think you've made a good point there Jayme. We do see certain trends that run against the way things used to be. Comic book movies are more likely to be pitched as blockbusters these days.

BUT...

(And please don't take this as me trying to be all clever and argumentative)

Here's the thing - As somebody who takes a great interest in comic books and stuff that relates to them, I'd argue that comic book movies may be more popular, but they still ain't necessarily guaranteed to be great movies. And Hollywood STILL hasn't got over its incessant need to tinker with things.

Look at the three X Men movies. They slowly declined in quality, and there's a fair bit of fanboy angst surrounding them. Wolverine Origins was a pretty average movie that baited the fans with some decidedly odd use of popular characters. And I hear a wave of discontent already in advance of the X Men: First Class movie.

Look at Watchmen. Not a bad movie, by all accounts. Opinion's are divided on this one among fans of the book, though. It's more faithful than some adaptations, but the deviations from the source material that are there REALLY infuriate some of the fans.

And there are others that run the gamut. There's Surrogates, starring Bruce Willis, which features changes to the comic book storyline that just make it feel dumb in comparison. Or From Hell - and this is the one Akira fans should really be worried about, as one half of the directorial team behind this is helming the US remake - which bears so little resemblence to Alan Moore's graphic novel it really is laughable.

I've always struggled to see what the point is of bringing these stories to the screen if important details from them must be changed. Obviously, the studios will make decisions they perceive will equate to financial success, but some things have to be sacred.

Bottom line, if it's not adaptable, then don't bother. Use it as a baseplate for something else, sure, but don't pass it off as something it's not.

Hollywood's remake of Akira may well turn out to be a passable American science fiction movie. But if they follow through with the changes that have already been proposed, it just won't be Akira.

I've said it before on the subject, and I don't mind repeating it again. Do it properly or not at all.

I just wrote a huge post in response, but I lost it. The jist of it, besides arguments about Watchmen etc, was that the films overall are off a higher quality. We might be getting "The Last Stand" and "Elektra" but we got also got "Spidey 2" and Nolan "Batman". You're never, ever going to please everyone, especially geeks.

Aw, absolutely true Jayme!

My bigger point, aside from the quality of the product, is really the issue of adaptation, though. I'm really just sounding off and throwing those other movies about as examples.

I do think it's worth mentioning that there seems to be an appreciable difference between adapting a popular US comic book and adapting a foreign property for cinema, though.

I mean, WHY in the name of all that's good and holy, must fans suffer gigantic tweaks of the magnitude that are being proposed for Akira? What possible logical reason for them can there be?

Does it not strike anybody behind this project, who's done their homework, that this is a property that has been popular in the west for a couple of decades now? That its legend is pretty well known? That maybe - just maybe - the Japanese setting and characters are intrinsic to the storyline, and that there's an audience in place that won't have a problem with that? Or that a wider audience could still be attracted to an adaptation that preserved those aspects?

There aren't many things in this world that provoke my mighty nerd-rage. but this is surely one of 'em.

Back