Ridiculous avatar sizes

Kaede

Adventurer
Can anything be done about limiting the avatar sizes for those hosted off-site? Certain people (*sigh*) are using gigantic avatars which just scream 'LOOK AT ME!!!11'.

That's annoying enough, but they also make the forum look ugly and advertise to every one in my office that I'm a great big geek on an internet forum

:(

Cheers,
K

To do with the geek thing, I find the banner(s) at the top more irritating since it loads well before anything else, especially if your on a slow internet connection with a awful resolution (a la, my school computers).

In this thread:

People who shouldn't be on the internet complain about the internet. :lol:

But yeah the giant 'cartoons are for kids?' banner (nice as it is) I could do without.

Giant Avatars first though please.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've yet to come to grasp with the admin panel, so i doubt i could do anything about it i'm afraid. However it does seem to just be one user, or maybe two. Most of us have the common sense to use reasonably sized avatars, so i think we should just give them a push to use a more suitably sized one.

remind me later, I'll have it limited then. I'll allow for larger avatars though, for those who wants them, but within reason.

chaos said:
remind me later, I'll have it limited then. I'll allow for larger avatars though, for those who wants them, but within reason.
Yeah, I make larger than usual avatars, but they usually keep to the size of posts (120x160pxl at most). And even with the slight increase, they always keep within the post gap (even a 1 loner post takes up 15 lines, from the persanal info tab under the avatar).

So yeah, I'll keep within the gap between the range of common sense (No image -> 100x100pxl average -> 150x200pxl large). Anything else is excessive.

chaos said:
I'll allow for larger avatars though, for those who wants them, but within reason.
But... why? Pretty much any non-tard infested website gets by fine on 150x150 *at most*. It's not an art gallery.

ilmaestro said:
chaos said:
I'll allow for larger avatars though, for those who wants them, but within reason.
But... why? Pretty much any non-tard infested website gets by fine on 150x150 *at most*. It's not an art gallery.
I presume that's what chaos means by 'within reason' - that people will be allowed bigger avatars, just not huge ones. Very few people stick to the 100x100 rule - even Ryo and Arby are often in violation of it.

indeed, however we...well i generally keep it to a reasonable size anyways, this one for example is probably around the 150x150 mark. I don't mind so long as it doesn't go anywhere near double that.

ayase said:
ilmaestro said:
chaos said:
I presume that's what chaos means by 'within reason' - that people will be allowed bigger avatars, just not huge ones. Very few people stick to the 100x100 rule - even Ryo and Arby are often in violation of it.

Actually 125x125 is a good size....

It has been getting a little silly lately. I'm a tragic human being who always carefully measures her avatars, and the only thing I can do about big ones is delete them manually (which takes as long if not longer than people putting them back ;p) or moan. If the forum can limit them automatically it would be nice.

Maybe scrunching up the big ones to fit the limit so they look weird would be fun, as well as saving those who aren't good with making them from having to resize them themselves.

R

Google has some good image searching options now so its easy to search for 100x100's but back in the day it was horrific to crop other images to that incredibly small size.

I think 125x125 is about the limit before it gets annoying and starts futzing with the layout/getting too close to the borders. That would be a satisfactory happy medium. Though I'd then look legitimately dwarven and have to change.

I quite enjoy the challenge of making a picture look fun in 100x100 but then I don't really go for terrifically complex/artistic efforts :)

R

Back