Religion

BlackWolf said:
If that actually happened i would take back all the things i said about communism :D espcially loving the celebrity battle royale idea martin :p just one question what would you air once all the celebrities are dead :?
That will never happen (unless extinction is close at hand...), purely because it seems the celebrity status is easy to achieve compared to what it was before. Shows like "I'm a Celebrity, get me out of here!" just bring in nobodies that no-one has ever heard of.

Anyways, since I've said something, I may as well contribute.
Not religious myself, although I have no problem with others believing in something. I wouldn't say it's for the weak-minded, although I see extremists as that.
The fact that religion is used for war is a joke. What civilised religion would allow pain and sacrifice to be a worthy aspect? As far as I know, holy documents (books or scriptures, etc.) were suppose to teach you about a good and peaceful life. It's the angels that fight daemons, and there are gods/goddesses that are in charge of their own merits/department, so all the public need to do is behave themselves, right? How hard is that?
So if that was the case, aren't these documents about what to avoid and what you need to do to be 'pure'? I want to see what these extremists have been reading, and then I might try to understand them (however, I wont agree with their methods at any time).

I thought communism, as a political structure, was sound. It's just the fact people are instinctly greedy, and like Spyro mentions, people want credit for their work rather than being generous all the time and work for "the greater good." As a race, we cant support a completely pacifist or communist role, as we're too fickle about a range of different thing. But if we were working altogether without a complaint, I would actually support communism. I just dont see it happening (as I too am greedy).

well as china is a communist country and we all share a love for the orients in general....it seems that the AUKN community shall be moving to the promised land....and a bonus....we shall all have jobs working in call centres across there....for the UK :lol:

Tachi- said:
well as china is a communist country and we all share a love for the orients in general....it seems that the AUKN community shall be moving to the promised land....and a bonus....we shall all have jobs working in call centres across there....for the UK :lol:

Yeah, and the second they heard my Wolverhampton/Walsall/Dudley crossbreed of an accent they'd ask to be passed on to someone who spoke English.

The only real good thing is that I once managed to have a conversation with someone in Black Country dialect and leave a room full of people completely nonplussed as to anything we'd said. Phrases like "All round the Wrekin" "Yawm saft" "Arr" and "'e day" ("a long way away", "You're mad", "Yes" and "he didn't" respectively) just don't translate into other dialects.

MrChom said:
Tachi- said:

Yeah, and the second they heard my Wolverhampton/Walsall/Dudley crossbreed of an accent they'd ask to be passed on to someone who spoke English.

The only real good thing is that I once managed to have a conversation with someone in Black Country dialect and leave a room full of people completely nonplussed as to anything we'd said. Phrases like "All round the Wrekin" "Yawm saft" "Arr" and "'e day" ("a long way away", "You're mad", "Yes" and "he didn't" respectively) just don't translate into other dialects.

from you saying that i just had a scene from Airplane! pop up in my mind :p the bit where the two guys were talking in jive then the old lady translates and communicates with them

I'm an atheist. Faith in a God is just not for me. People like Terry Eagleton have done a great job of justifying faith, so I do understand why some people believe.

Also, I detest organised religion for so many reasons, but the rampant and repugnant hatred of gays is top of my list of said reasons.

Given some of the conversations I've had at 4am at university, rocked off my head on some kind of deadly mixture of ale and port this conversation topic seems quite sane.

Anyway, I'd say religion is quite apt here given that other semi active topics on the forum include Evangelion and Hellsing.

CitizenGeek said:
I'm an atheist. Faith in a God is just not for me. People like Terry Eagleton have done a great job of justifying faith, so I do understand why some people believe.

Also, I detest organised religion for so many reasons, but the rampant and repugnant hatred of gays is top of my list of said reasons.

Agreed CG, I had a Jehovas witness at my door recently, and "repugnant hatred of gays" seemed to be top of his list of things to get across to me.
I never understood fully how such intelligent beings as humans can so mindlessly follow somthing, based on what their told it is by people whos agenda are more than questionable.

Anyway, I was nice about it but I gave him a few interesing fats about religion adn the history of Jesus, and sent him looking a bit gobsmacked.^^

Outlawstar said:
CitizenGeek said:

Agreed CG, I had a Jehovas witness at my door recently, and "repugnant hatred of gays" seemed to be top of his list of things to get across to me.
I never understood fully how such intelligent beings as humans can so mindlessly follow somthing, based on what their told it is by people whos agenda are more than questionable.

Anyway, I was nice about it but I gave him a few interesing fats about religion adn the history of Jesus, and sent him looking a bit gobsmacked.^^

As a Christian the whole issue of singling out a group to pick on (regardless of why) is something I find troubling. One of the main tenets of the faith is that we, as humans, are all flawed in some way or another so why should we be allowed to judge the flaws we see in others?

Then again I'm one of these wishy washy new age Christians, you know, the one who believes in a loving god, no hell, and the fact that the bible is a badly translated text manufactured decades or centuries after the fact and that then was edited by a Roman Emperor because he was bored.

Back