Religion

Robbeech90

Dandy Guy, in Space
Hey heres a place where we can discuse religion and other relaited things^^.

But before you start please tell us what your religion/belife is (this inclueds any belifes that dont fit into any particular religion), tell us alittle about it and tell us why you believe that^^. Or if your an athiest please tell us why^^.

then you can start discussing to your hearts content^^.

Please remember to respect the religions and beliefes of others even if they might not be the same as yours and do NOT try to force your religion on any other users. Please stay open minded and let everyone have a say.

I think religion is a good idea for a way for people to rationalise the unknown but I think its a bad idea for it to become a belief system based on the moralistic views of people who lived thousands of years ago when the world was a very different place to exist in.

I don't think any "Religion" threads have been made yet, but it almost always rears it's scaly head into most of the threads in the Random Chit-Chat section.

=|

Though... This thread is asking for a flame war >_>.

Quite simply, religion is for weak minded people who need to believe there's more to life than breeding and dying. Putting faith in God pushes away those thoughts, replacing them with the hope that our creator has a cave of wonders waiting for people who die. It's pathetic.

I believe in nothing. But, if I were to believe in a powerful existence that created everything, the image in my head would be of a demon and not something that created life out of the goodness of its heart. Something that created this world is fairly odd if it wanted life to be happy.

I'm probably an atheist, I'm not sure. I guess I believe that the big bang started us all, but, whatever it is, I honestly don't really care - I'm here, so who cares now? I pretty much hate religion. In my eyes, it's the creator of wars, death, pain, and suffering. If we didn't have religions, the world would be a better place. Another reason I don't believe in religion is that why would this 'god' make such an aweful world? Anyway, I could be here all day, and I don't want to disrespect anyone elses religions or views, so I'll stop now :p.

I'm supposed to be Christian since I believe that a guy called Jesus existed at some point in history and had good ideas in regards to peace, love and tolerance. Humans are an aberration and as such ought to be more responsible about screwing over the planet (and each other). Beyond that I have a very vague spiritual reverence for the wonders of nature and the universe that I can't really attribute to any particular faith. There's a lot of stuff I don't understand although zen buddhism/shinto might cover some of it. Religion confuses me at the best of times so I don't try to think about it too much.

Religion is after all intended to explain the inexplicable, but in practise is used to justify actions that are unjustifiable.

Believing in something is fine but using it to perpetuate human greed, ignorance and stupidity isn't.

Aion said:
Quite simply, religion is for weak minded people who need to believe there's more to life than breeding and dying. Putting faith in God pushes away those thoughts, replacing them with the hope that our creator has a cave of wonders waiting for people who die. It's pathetic.
I don't see putting faith in something you can't prove as pathetic. Having faith requires a person to have differing views from what is an essentially athiest society. People have died for their religion and other human beings as an act of protection.

Does religion make sense? To many it doesn't.
Is it pathetic? Of course not. What I find pathetic is attitudes like that that intentionally try to weed out so-called weaklings in order to try to prove a point. Personally, I think it's a front to try to hide inadequacies or an act of insecurity since it doesn't hold well in a moralistic or scientific argument of religion and is trying to point out the flaws in people rather than actual points made (as well as people who follow it being irrelevant). As we all know, not everybody is the same and everybody's circumstances are different, so calling everyone pathetic for having faith is extremely ignorant.

Anyone who calls someone else weak and pathetic because of beliefs and faith is the truly pathetic one.

Maxon said:
I don't see putting faith in something you can't prove as pathetic.

Re-read that sentence and tell me what you just said isn't stupid.

Anyone can put faith in something that doesn't exist; I could create an imaginary friend (called Sasuke, btw) and argue with everyone that he does exist even if no-one can see him; that wouldn't make me brave. It would also be rather pathetic if I blew myself up because I thought it was what Sasuke wanted me to do.

Weak minded people grouping up and trying to make others believe in something that no-one will ever be able to prove exists defines pathetic in my (wonderful) mind. If your glasses are tinted different than mine are then I recommend you get new ones.

Aion said:
Maxon said:

I don't think it's pathetic - but I don't understand why people are so willing to do it either. I don't think people on either side of this debate are able to understand why the other is/isn't willing to have faith. Actually, I think it's the biggest problem with any dialogue between the faithful and faithless.

Weak minded people grouping up and trying to make others believe in something that no-one will ever be able to prove exists defines pathetic in my mind.
[edited for egotism]

I will agree with this. I have no problem with anyone believing whatever they like, as long as they keep it to themselves and don't think others should believe it as well, or that their beliefs are somehow more "right" than anyone elses and deserve to be the basis of law. So Nuns & Monks, fine. Evangelicals and Islamic Extremists - not good.

As for myself - I don't believe in a god, or in miracles. I believe what I think is right - and perhaps some things Jesus, Buddha or Mohammed said I agree with, just as I do with say Karl Marx, Stephen Hawking or Richard Dawkins. But I consider them all human and flawed, not divine. I think elevating any of them to the status where their word is law a bad thing.

Slicedbreadno2 said:
rofl Aion your as bad as the bible bashers by forcing your ideas onto others! IRONY

Educating people about the truth, and explaining to them why their irrational beliefs are all a load of hogshit will do nothing but good.

I am religious, not very hardcore but judging by the views of people in here im not gonna go there. Mine just runs in the family though; so its nothing too major.

Aion said:
Maxon said:

Anyone can put faith in something that doesn't exist; I could create an imaginary friend (called Sasuke, btw) and argue with everyone that he does exist even if no-one can see him; that wouldn't make me brave. It would also be rather pathetic if I blew myself up because I thought it was what Sasuke wanted me to do.

Well I'm going to ignore the pathetic part and point out what you said right.

People can make something up and then believe in them. That's the meaning of a 'God'.

God is God simply because you believe in it. If God doesn't have any believers, then he/she is not God. Since the dawn of time, people make up Idols and worship them, worship a prophet or worship an invisible entity. They call them a God and worship them.

Heh, even I can be a God. All I need is believers and voila, I'm a certified god. That's because people believe in me as God, therefore I am God. We have so many Gods in every religion.

Allah, God, Adonai, Brahman... They are the same thing, yet people class them as different. In the end, it truly lies on the believers. They believe in God, making the unreal entity real.

That's why I don't class God and Creator as one.

In all honesty, the world would be a better place if people thought of me as God. I'd listen to peoples cries for help and even answer the prayers of the attractive females - Much better than how people currently pray to no-one who can hear them.

Lupus Inu said:
I have a religion - It's called Scientology, is this awesome, Y/N?

I believe Charlie Sheen will one day invent a bottomless bottle of single malt whiskey, and provide enough hookers for us all to go to sleep in the warm musk of sexual satisfaction for the rest of our lives.

Personally I do believe in god, and I have a pretty strong faith but in a way that most people don't really look at as any form of recognised Christianity. The closest I can get to some kind of label is that I'm a Quaker, a belief that you have to find God for yourself, and that that belief and relationship is something very personal to you; we are all unique and so our relationship with god has to be too. I've got no problem with people not believing in god, or a different god, or anything for that matter....what you believe in is entirely down to you, and I think any change in that has to come from within.

As for religion being for the weak minded, and being a wheel clamp on science, as well as "believing in something you can't prove" I have a question. Can you personally prove every single scientific fact that you've ever been told? You probably can't, you might be able to fill in some background details, show a couple of experiments, but mostly you're putting faith in something someone more intelligent than you has gone off and gathered evidence about. Now don't get me wrong, I think science is the cornerstone of civilisation, we need it for the overall advancement of humanity and any kind of technological leap that benefits mankind is a good one, I believe in evolution, the big bang theory, all the major stuff you can rationally prove existed. But like I said, there's a catch...I haven't witnessed evolution in action, all I've seen are some historical evidence, and the words of some fairly good geneticists...I have faith that those guys are right or at least on the right track because they largely seem to agree, and have spent good portions of their lives investigating this stuff. That common belief in science is just as much faith based as most religion to my mind.

MrChom said:
Personally I do believe in god, and I have a pretty strong faith but in a way that most people don't really look at as any form of recognised Christianity. The closest I can get to some kind of label is that I'm a Quaker, a belief that you have to find God for yourself, and that that belief and relationship is something very personal to you; we are all unique and so our relationship with god has to be too. I've got no problem with people not believing in god, or a different god, or anything for that matter....what you believe in is entirely down to you, and I think any change in that has to come from within.
I like the sound of that. It's fairly similar to the views of one or two methodists I know, who seem to have a more 'laid back' and open-minded stance while still maintaining Christian values. Interesting.
MrChom said:
As for religion being for the weak minded, and being a wheel clamp on science, as well as "believing in something you can't prove" I have a question. Can you personally prove every single scientific fact that you've ever been told? You probably can't, you might be able to fill in some background details, show a couple of experiments, but mostly you're putting faith in something someone more intelligent than you has gone off and gathered evidence about. Now don't get me wrong, I think science is the cornerstone of civilisation, we need it for the overall advancement of humanity and any kind of technological leap that benefits mankind is a good one, I believe in evolution, the big bang theory, all the major stuff you can rationally prove existed. But like I said, there's a catch...I haven't witnessed evolution in action, all I've seen are some historical evidence, and the words of some fairly good geneticists...I have faith that those guys are right or at least on the right track because they largely seem to agree, and have spent good portions of their lives investigating this stuff. That common belief in science is just as much faith based as most religion to my mind.
That's a really good question. The "We are right. Do not question us," attitude I was getting from certain religious types was what turned me towards science. Unfortunately, when scientific theory is attempted to be passed off as truth in this way, it might as well be religion! Insofar as you have to unquestioningly have faith that it's right, without understanding it.

Good science is I think an approach where every theory is put forward with the awareness that it could be replaced by a better idea later on. I believe there is some form of higher power or consciousness in the universe without any experiments or equations making me think so; I go along with evolution and the Big Bang theory until the boffins come up with something more convincing.

Back