Region A Sentai/Viz Media Blurays on Region B Players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Type45 said:
Well after reading these last few posts I decided to try Muv Luv on PS3 and to my suprise it worked with no issues.looks like geo locking has buggered up the sentai method but it's good to know there's another way that works.cheers to all on this topic.

I'm hoping Sentai doesn't fix this because that would pretty much make every title from now on PS3 compatible.

NormanicGrav said:
Type45 said:
Well after reading these last few posts I decided to try Muv Luv on PS3 and to my suprise it worked with no issues.looks like geo locking has buggered up the sentai method but it's good to know there's another way that works.cheers to all on this topic.

I'm hoping Sentai doesn't fix this because that would pretty much make every title from now on PS3 compatible.
It's not something that can be fixed since the default country code that is set in all UK PS3s is the US.

Those regular BD players that have country code selection would most likely work in the same way the PS3 would by changing country code without having to change region code (for those that have region switching abilities), but I should be able to confirm this in a few weeks time when my first geo locked era disc arrives.

demonix said:
It's not something that can be fixed since the default country code that is set in all UK PS3s is the US.

Those regular BD players that have country code selection would most likely work in the same way the PS3 would by changing country code without having to change region code (for those that have region switching abilities), but I should be able to confirm this in a few weeks time when my first geo locked era disc arrives.

Regular BD players that can change the country code do work. I have tried it on a Toshiba player and it could play geo locked disks

I can confirm the following sentai discs are geo locked

Engaged to the unidentified
Golden time 2
Hozukis coolheadedness
Patlabor the new files
Space brothers 1

Not sure how i can change the country code on an region-free Oppo BDP-93, as i cannot find this in the settings. Under what name is this setting normally listed ?

Stiivun said:
Not sure how i can change the country code on an region-free Oppo BDP-93, as i cannot find this in the settings. Under what name is this setting normally listed ?

I'm guessing this is your manual right? Is there an Area Code somewhere on your player?

Yes that is the manual. Only mention of area code i see is under parental controls. Gone test the Chunibyo discs this evening, first without any internet connection, see how that goes.

Also still have an old Dune player here with a region-free BD drive but don't use it anymore as it's a bit noisy. So have two options here.

All in all i was surprised there is something like geo-locking.

A-Channel - The Complete Collection is technically Region Locked; but here is a rundown of what I've tried.

It does not work on Region B players (default settings) and it does not work on Xbox One (default settings).

It does work on PS3 and PS4 consoles (default settings).

None of my Blu-ray players (all Panasonic) allow for the country region to be changed, or for the title search method to be used; so its unclear if either of these methods work or not.

Chunibyo discs work on my Oppo BD player ... yokatta :)

First did cut the internet connection on the player though, but as far as i can tell it wasn't used to check on geo-locking. Still a bit puzzled how this geo-locking actually works. But the main thing for me is that Chunibyo works.

Stiivun said:
Chunibyo discs work on my Oppo BD player ... yokatta :)

First did cut the internet connection on the player though, but as far as i can tell it wasn't used to check on geo-locking. Still a bit puzzled how this geo-locking actually works. But the main thing for me is that Chunibyo works.
Geo locking work by checking the country code set on the player and compares it to what has been set to be allowed to play the disc, and if those codes don't match then it won't play.

It isn't an internet based check (I'd doubt that BD live features would allow that).

Reviving this thread to confirm (since it doesn't seem to have been confirmed by anyone else) that the bodacious space pirates complete collection works with the bypass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back