Recommendable J-RPGs

sanji no 1

Vampire Ninja
I've never actually played through an RPG game as its never really been my kind of thing. But now for some odd reason i feel like playing one, just to see what its like. So any body know any good, easy to get into RPG games (not Final Fantasy) on PS3?

Hmm, i've been looking for some good ones myself recently tbh.

They come in 2 flavours so to speak FF style limited to lvl 99 or so, and Grinders where you can level to 999 like Disgaea.

I reckon we'd need to know what kind you'd prefer before anyone can recomend. I know myself that while I liked the comedy & story of Disgaea I couldn't stand the grind to level

Try Tales of Graces F. It's colourful and fun and anyone familiar with anime should feel right at home. The battle system is quite deep and takes some time to become accustomed to, but there are multiple difficulty levels that can be changed at any time so you should be fine.

Also, there's a gaming forum here where you might get a better response, and that's where this thread will end up once a mod sees it. Just a heads-up.

Rosencrantz said:
Hmm, i've been looking for some good ones myself recently tbh.

They come in 2 flavours so to speak FF style limited to lvl 99 or so, and Grinders where you can level to 999 like Disgaea.

I reckon we'd need to know what kind you'd prefer before anyone can recomend. I know myself that while I liked the comedy & story of Disgaea I couldn't stand the grind to level
You regard Disgaea as RPG? It's more a turn based strategy. Also the level cap isn't that low.

You just play the grinding level with your grinding gear equipped and vote to raise the enemies level as needed it's quite fast.

For the PS3:
The Atelier games are generally good (Rorona less so), Ni no Kuni is highly regarded, a few Tales games on there, and the first Valkyria Chronicles.

There's also Record of Agarest War and Hyper Dimension Neptunia, they're divisive and often panned by critics.

Think that's them all covered.

Resonance of Fate.

The battle system for RoF is something you'll need to sit down with to get a real handle on (cross between ye olde X-Com, Vagrant Story and a John Woo film) and the levelling system is a bit "odd" but the world, customisation and Nolan North are worth the price of admission alone.

Definately Ni no Kuni. It's so accessible, beautiful, large and full with just fantastic humour. It'd be a fantastic game for someone to start the genre on.

Come to think of it, it's probably well worth your time having a plunder of PSN's classic games section. Good selection of non FF JRPGs up there for your perusal from what I understand.

the Arland atelier series might be worth a look (atelier rorona, atelier totori, atelier meruru), you could also try tales of graces F, valkyria chronicles or eternal sonata.

I was going to suggest the Penny Arcade: On the rain slick precipice of darkness trilogy, they're essentially JRPGs spliced with Penny Arcade and steam punk but then I found 3 isn't on PSN (it is on Steam though). First two are more homages than straight JRPGs but the third one is practically bleeds SNES era JRPGs.

Worth a look if you can nab them in a sale. You can also skip ahead to 3 without missing out on anything too.

Back