Recommend me some Region A Blurays

I'm not going to lose out on a load of great anime titles just because the same distributor might also distribute some other genre I'm not interested in on the side ;p

Teo: I've heard that EzyDVD ( http://ezydvd.com.au/ ) is good, but I have no personal experience with them. Unfortunately there aren't that many Australian stores who seem to ship over here, though if you find any with big discounts I'm all ears!

R

vashdaman said:
There's a delicious irony about you criticizing someone for attacking something from a position of "ignorance". Also, nobody cares.

EzyDVD is fine. I used to buy from Atlantic DVD back when the exchange rate was more favourable. Unlike here it's apparent that Australian stores don't offer big discounts on DVDs, but at least we don't have to pay the sales tax (9% last time I checked).

vashdaman said:
For example I can briefly explain my own definition of God, which was heavily influenced by the teachings of The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali (with commentry from Sri Swami Satchidananda) as I found this to be a delightfully direct and practical text, anyway: Essentially what you could call "God" or "The Supreme soul" or "Supreme Purusha" or "Kami" is everything, incuding us. Or more specifically Godhood or being in "liberation" with God is our innate and highest state, so we all have the spark of god within us but we just need to work towards realizing our true state of oness with what I call "God" the origin of all knowledge and phenomena in the universe. I suppose this is the big difference between traditional eastern and western spirituality (well, organised at least) the idea that God is either a seperate bieng or that we at our highest level are God, personally I find the latter more liberating.
I'm all for self improvement. Wanting to become a god (from what you've written, possibly via Evangelion's Human Instrumentality Project?) is rather different to believing in one in the traditional sense though. Why can't that be purely scientific? The more we learn, the more intelligent we become, the more we understand, and so on. What you've said there, I could put another way by saying "we should work at improving ourselves through learning and better understanding each other and the universe". I don't see why that necessitates any kind of belief at all. Anyone can strive for that, religious or not.

vashdaman said:
But yes, Fundamentally with a scientist like him though, it comes down to empirical evidence. I could say yes I have the best empirical evidence for God one could ever hope for, but unfortuanetly I could not share it with him, it comes down to personal experience. In my opinion God cannot be fully understood with a logical/rational/intellectual brain, since our intellectual brains our made of matter and and God is beyond matter, in my opinion. We have to bypass those parts of our mind to find true understanding. So me and Dawkins would be forced to disagree on that one, but at least he could show more depth of knowledge in his work.
And it would be fine to say "Dawkins, you shouldn't be trying to convince people to abandon their beliefs, be more open minded" if it weren't for the fact that almost every major religion in the world has some kind of programme to convert other people! That needs an atheist countermeasure otherwise all the gullible people will end up religious. As I know you're a spiritual person I understand your anger with people attacking the whole idea of "belief without proof" but I do despair when I hear people like you rail against Dawkins. If you have personal religion which you keep to yourself and influence and harm no-one because of it you are not the enemy. No-one is going to come and force you to renounce your beliefs. This is a fight between opposing ideologues for the backing of the easily manipulated and strategically important majority, like politics. I don't want all those people religious because they'll start to demand laws based on their religion which will then affect me. I don't want other people's beliefs to infringe on my rights or frankly, the rights of others either. I've spoken to people with religious upbringings who have had their lives f*cked up by the religion that was forced upon them and I would rather that never happened to anyone else. My point of view is a very simple one: even if there were gods, for all the harm that's been done in their name they are worthy of neither worship nor obedience. And the less effect people who believe we *should* be worshipping and obeying them have on wider society the better.

Probably we should stop derailing this thread now and (if you want to continue) take the discussion to Random or PMs, since from my experience this sort of thing tends to bore the **** off everyone else.

Back