Recommend me some Region A Blurays

alexrose1uk

Straw Hat Pirate
NoHi guys,
Up til now I've only been able to play Region A BDs on my PC, so I've kinda held off on a lot of purchases so I don't end up feeling the need to have to rip them etc. Now I have the multiregion player, that's not an issue, and it's not only payday this coming week, but my birthday the week after, so I feel like some capitalistic frolics.

So, please recommend me some Region A BD's to get hold!

Ideally they'll be shows that aren't out in the UK, and aren't on my already watched list: (http://myanimelist.net/animelist/tyranuus)
If they're available reasonably priced even better :D

Already on the list:
Dissapearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (Manga has missed thier chance)
Fullmetal Panic S1 and Fumoffu!?
Angel Beats

SUUUUUURE this is a lazy thread; but it also makes a good buyers guide style thread for others anyway :D

FMP is a bit of an iffy transfer from some accounts.

I guess Samurai Champloo now they fixed the issues with it?

Ghost Hound.

SenBasa s.2.

Madoka when that comes out.

This is a hard thread. :-/

FMP is one of those series I'd like to actually own, and I've heard the transfer is far better to the BD than to the DVDs.

I'd figured this might be an easy 'recommend me', what with the far higher takeup of HD over the last year or two outside the UK; but perhaps not haha

I've already grabbed TSR:)

Forgot to mention in the OP that I already have that, Claymore, both Evangelion and Spice and Wolf, and both GITS movies on blu.

I got recommended to grab Clannad elsewhere, already seen it but one of my brothers loves it so not a bad shout.

ilmaestro said:
FMP is a bit of an iffy transfer from some accounts.

I guess Samurai Champloo now they fixed the issues with it?

Ghost Hound.

SenBasa s.2.

Madoka when that comes out.

This is a hard thread. :-/
Champ's Region B anyway.

So is FMP, actually.

I recommend FLCL. It's upscaled, but it's a pretty decent transfer in motion.

Cheers for the recommendations.
Angel Beats was already on my list as a potential pickup, so I'll try and look up the predicted release date and see what I feel like.

DoHS will probably be a US import though at the rate it's going; unless Manga suddenly announce it's going to have loads of awesome extras (unlikely); the US double pack is available cheaply; has the added DVD bonus, and is available NOW unlike Manga's version (plus its a little worrying it takes them 3+ months to sort out a new version because they broke the original one. At least they're fixing it, but still.)

I'll probably pass on FMA:B, because that's more my brother's sort of series than mine.

Where it comes to importing high on my list at the moment are actually stuff from Australia that is DVD-only - Dennou Coil, Kaiba, Higurashi (which is still in print there), Digimon...

Looking for BDs on my import wishlist I find FMP:TSR, Clannad, Ga-Rei and Madoka.
Also the second volume of Xam'd and later volumes of FMP:B of course.

Shiroi Hane said:
Where it comes to importing high on my list at the moment are actually stuff from Australia that is DVD-only - Dennou Coil, Kaiba, Higurashi (which is still in print there), Digimon...

I'm completely ignorant about the Australian market. Can you share some infos please?
Dennou Coil has been announced for an Italian release, so I'll wait for it, and I've never been interested in Pokemon/Digimon (my fault?). But Kaiba and Higurashi are on my "to get list". Thanks.

Teo

Thanks Rui.
Which is the best website where to buy these Australian series? I mean, is there an Aussie equivalent of Amazon or Play where to save some money?

Teo

Rui said:
This is the company you want to look at, Teo:

http://www.sirenvisual.com.au/

They have a growing number of great licenses which the English-speaking world has otherwise passed over.

R

On a somewhat unrelated tangent, what is up with that site! They have a section called the "Enlightenment section" which they claim is a
A rallying call against the corroding influence of religion in the world
OK fair enough so far, but then they follow it up with this
Featuring the works of world-famous atheist Professor Richard Dawkins

Ha..haha.... so do they not realize they have completely contradicted themselves there!? Richard Dawkins "philosophical" works on subjects such as religion/spirituality are some of the most pathetic and poor quality you can find, that frequently display such a high level of ignorance and lack of understanding it's almost a joke (I would also argue that his scientific work is equally as inept and pathetic, but that's another story).

But OK one or two Dawkins DVD's are acceptable as long as they balance it out with plenty of work from more reputable philosophers or maybe some that argue the opposing view....Oh wait every DVD on the list is by either Richard Dawkins or Pen and Teller (let's just say they should stick to the "magic" and that's me being kind!). Is this a complete pisstake or something, just done for a laugh! Why are they pretending to offer a balanced debate when the're only offering the most heavily criticized and heavy handed atheistic work's with nothing from the opposing argument to counter? It should be called the Ignorance section! Is the site run by Dawkin's son or something?

Or did I perhaps misinterpret
A rallying call against the corroding influence of religion in the world
as them being pro religion, when in actual fact it meant "a rallying call to destroy and misunderstand the already corroding influence of religion/spirituality"? Yep I'm now thinking I misinterpreted them. Still its a bloody crap selection of work their offering under a bloody smug and pretentious section title.

I shan't be ordering from them and giving Dawkin's son my money :p

Are you just trying to start arguments with me this evening vash? :lol:

If gods exist they should show themselves. Nothing is worthy of the worship and obedience of humanity, for all our flaws still the highest form of life in the known universe. C'mon god you pansy, come out and play - or are you just frightened we'll kick your ****?

/hubris

ayase said:
Are you just trying to start arguments with me this evening vash? :lol:

If gods exist they should show themselves. Nothing is worthy of the worship and obedience of humanity, for all our flaws still the highest form of life in the known universe. C'mon god you pansy, come out and play - or are you just frightened we'll kick your ****?

/hubris

Ah, we have a Dawkins fan do we *crackes knuckles*.....lol no I'm just playin

Ayase, there's just so many ways I could possibly try and address your post, I'm not really sure where to begin or if indeed I should even begin. But thats part of the big problem with Dawkins, the subject is just too vast and he just doesn't have enough in depth understanding to reasonably be able to make some of the claims he does. Firstly he (like many other athiestic philosophers) only ever attack the easy target: the christian idea of god, or the idea of god that traditionally exists in organiased western religion at least. To only look at those basic example's (without any examination of the esoteric teachings/meanings behind it all) and then categorically claiming anyone who believes in God is "Delusional", well it's pure egotism frankly.

I know the word God does carry some rather strong specific connotaions along with it in the west i.e man with beard sitting on cloud, but it's important to remember that there are many other, maybe more intricate definitions of what you could call "God" or call something else if you wished, and even these definitions might carry many further esoteric meanings behind them, which may be important to grasp.

For example I can briefly explain my own definition of God, which was heavily influenced by the teachings of The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali (with commentry from Sri Swami Satchidananda) as I found this to be a delightfully direct and practical text, anyway: Essentially what you could call "God" or "The Supreme soul" or "Supreme Purusha" or "Kami" is everything, incuding us. Or more specifically Godhood or being in "liberation" with God is our innate and highest state, so we all have the spark of god within us but we just need to work towards realizing our true state of oness with what I call "God" the origin of all knowledge and phenomena in the universe. I suppose this is the big difference between traditional eastern and western spirituality (well, organised at least) the idea that God is either a seperate bieng or that we at our highest level are God, personally I find the latter more liberating. So when you said "we are highest forms of life in the universe" in a sense you were right. This is not so easy to palm off as "delusional" (well it could be, but you know what I mean) this is the core of a detailed explanation of the existence of everything, and I mean very detailed so I am obviously not going into it.

Even if you look at Buddhism, the Lotus Sutras(Supposedly the Buddhas original work) for example describes an immense amount incricate metaphysical activity as does Tibetan Buddhism with it's different realms. And as we discover more and more about quantum (and other kinds) of physics and realize how little we actually understand and how much is possible, it's seeming more and more that science is actually the one catching up, but catching up it is.

So do you now understand clearer my problem with Dawkins? He is writing with such authority about a subject he clearly hasn't even tried to fully grasp, he is writing on such a simpleton(Sorry, I couldn't help that) level.

But yes, Fundamentally with a scientist like him though, it comes down to empirical evidence. I could say yes I have the best empirical evidence for God one could ever hope for, but unfortuanetly I could not share it with him, it comes down to personal experience. In my opinion God cannot be fully understood with a logical/rational/intellectual brain, since our intellectual brains our made of matter and and God is beyond matter, in my opinion. We have to bypass those parts of our mind to find true understanding. So me and Dawkins would be forced to disagree on that one, but at least he could show more depth of knowledge in his work.

ayase said:
C'mon god you pansy, come out and play - or are you just frightened we'll kick your ****?

/hubris
Some would say he has done this on a handful of occasions before, and it didn't go so well for, say, the dinosaurs. :)

Back