Re:ZERO's Video Quality in UK/US discs Discussion

I can see it, but to me it's just...not that bad. As I said, I just don't care enough about that stuff. It's just...not the kind of thing I'd get up in arms about, personally...I'd rather the disk be functioning properly as in not skipping or crashing.
While having a proper functioning disc is important, for me one of the biggest reasons I buy physical releases is for the picture quality. I can accept a bit of banding when streaming shows, but when I pop in a Blu-ray I want a nice clean image.

These image look pretty bad IMO to a level where I find it hard to believe anyone could not notice it outright (especially in the dark scenes). The sad part is that you're better of watching the Crunchyroll stream than this BD. :(

Last edited:
That's cool and all dude, but, doesn't that detract somewhat from the enjoyment of the show at all if all you're able to do is focus on the technicalities? :confused:
Kind of. If I'm really into the show then it's not a big deal. It's really only during re-watches that it's an issue, as I already know the series and can look for little details I might've missed.

And it's certainly possible to get a good looking Blu-ray with a 9-4 episode split. Sentai's (Animatsu is the UK distributor, I believe?) release of My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU 2 has ZERO artifacts in the video despite a low bitrate, and is the best Western encoded anime BD I've ever seen, so it's certainly possible to get good results with the limited space, you just need time.

Aiming for a lower disc count means a lower bitrate, and it is more taxing on the compressionist than if more space were allocated. I'm sure Kadokawa would never let AL do a 1:1 clone but with subs and the dub added, but it would be possible to get close with a good compressionist, like mp3dom (though he's Italian and while his English is good, language issues would arise when trying to get the best man arround).

Once you see banding you can never unsee it. To me it doesn't look that bad on my 50" plasma but on my 55" 4k it does. And both TVs have any digital tinkering turned off. I haven't watched it through my projector yet but I'm pretty sure on the 100" screen I will notice it :) I don't class myself as a videophile and to be honest banding doesn't really bother me much, I tend to get so engrossed in the film/show that I don't notice any technical faults.

And it's certainly possible to get a good looking Blu-ray with a 9-4 episode split. Sentai's (Animatsu is the UK distributor, I believe?) release of My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU 2 has ZERO artifacts in the video despite a low bitrate, and is the best Western encoded anime BD I've ever seen, so it's certainly possible to get good results with the limited space, you just need time.

Aiming for a lower disc count means a lower bitrate, and it is more taxing on the compressionist than if more space were allocated. I'm sure Kadokawa would never let AL do a 1:1 clone but with subs and the dub added, but it would be possible to get close with a good compressionist, like mp3dom (though he's Italian and while his English is good, language issues would arise when trying to get the best man arround).
I mean couldn’t you give him the material and he get to work. I believe Justin sevakis did the Origin set and (to my knowledge) he doesn’t speak French

I think Kadokawa is possible but I notice nicer menus and JP credits so I still say I’d prefer Frances though that’s not the issue here, (As **** menus and English credits are FUNis hallmark)

I don't class myself as a videophile and to be honest banding doesn't really bother me much, I tend to get so engrossed in the film/show that I don't notice any technical faults.
That's just it. I consider myself to have a good eye for detail, but I know I'd be more focused on the show itself.

I don’t like that mentality “oh the packaging” the disc the show is the key to the product in a way it’s dressing up a turd if the material is rubbish then the packaging means jack

I don’t like that mentality the disc the show is the key to the product in a way it’s dressing up a turd if the material is rubbish then the packaging means jack
The legal product will almost always be inferior to pirating the same show, so as long as the packaging looks nice, I'm content.

Really, though? "A piece of ****"?

Not just "poor" or "substandard"?

It's in almost every single shot in that Imgur gallery. It's beyond "poor" or 'substandard"- those describe most FUNimation releases. This is a whole other level of awfulness up there with Steins;Gate and Psycho Pass.

Really, though? "A piece of ****"?

Not just "poor" or "substandard"?
I've had a look at a bunch of the screenshots provided from multiple sources and the banding is so noticeable that I am disappointed with how it's been handled. Usually I wouldn't notice it but after figuring out what the definition of 'banding' meant I can see why it's a big deal to a lot of people. Funimation if I recall in response to the ANN article mentioned that it was already in that state from the masters they received (usually it would be Funimation causing it).

Since it's Kadokawa (I know TV Tokyo was involved but it seems to be the former this time around) I would not be surprised if Made in Abyss or No Game No Life Zero ended up in a similar situation.

Back