Rate the last movie you watched out of 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
House At The End Of The Street

2/10

This wanted to be more of a romance than a horror, add this to some god awful writing; 'Hi there! We are now instant best friends, join this band.', the mother claiming Jennifer Lawrence just wants to fix this guy like she did before when we'd never seen or heard anything to indicate this previously occured, the mother hates the boy, wants to get to know him so invites him for dinner then at the table yells at him 'don't **** my daughter!' (sadly this wasn't the exact line of dialogue). All of this meant this was well on course to being a contender for worst film of the year. There was zero suspense and scares for majority of the film, again, this was supposed to be horror? The saving grace was I got to stare at Jennifer Lawrence, which I have loved doing ever since Winter's Bone, the highlight of this film is when she starts panting and moaning, I just closed my eyes and let my imagination do the rest :D .

Killing Them Softly

8.5/10

Andrew Dominik is really beginning to rack up a CV, this is another excellent outing after The Assissination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (Chopper is apparently very good as well but I haven't seen it yet). The guy has a real touch and flair about his work, it's modern filmmaking at its best. When Ray Liotta gets beat up it kinda hurts to watch as you feel every hit, the drug scene was one of the best directed I've seen of its kind and avoids coming across cheesy or cringeworthy the way a lot of similar scenes in other films do, and he's a great writer too, some absolutely excellent dialogue in this film.

I think the standout performer is James Gandolfini, his portrayal of a broken down, alcoholic hitman who's past his best is brilliant and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he got a Best Supporting nomination come the Oscars.

Rui said:
With T&B, I thought the main focus of the movie's climax was the relationship between the two partners, and a more complex villain would have detracted from that. It's ok for those of us who have seen the series but as the movies are supposed to be able to stand alone, Kotetsu slowly and awkwardly chipping away at Barnaby's tough shell was the most important thing. A more dangerous villain or one with a greyer morality would have been more interesting if it were a one shot movie, but in terms of storytelling it wouldn't have been able to cover the same development we got from the TV show during the bomb episode etc without taking some major shortcuts in Bunny's characterisation.

Accordingly I had no problem with Robin at all, though if I was to criticise anything about that section of the film it would be the crime itself; while I understand that it was supposed to reflect Legend's success, I thought the claim that letting a petty thief get away with a little statue would destroy the public's faith in heroes was a touch silly. Especially given the magnitude of their earlier rescues.

I'd been under the impression that the film was mostly a recut with a few extra nods to how the heroes met and a small role for a movie-exclusive character, so to find there was actually quite a lot of new material was a very pleasant surprise indeed. I can't wait to buy it on BD. It's possible that Robin will get some more expansion in the supplementary materials too, not that I think he really needs any.

Unless it turns out that he's some low level member of Ouroboros and it's all part of some grand plan to make NEXT supervillains or something in the sequel. He might suddenly become interesting after all >_>

I did wonder how he made his suit on his own. It looked like something which needed a lot of engineering.

R
I wonder if Robin's suit was deliberately misleading to make us think he was a hero in promotional material?

If I remember correctly, Andrew said in a thread somewhere that the second movie is set after the main series, so I expect Sunrise's plan is to give the series a more broad audience with the movie, for them to go out and buy the series on DVD/BD, then to watch the second movie.

I do see your point though and yeah, the finale did have similar vibes to the Jake Martinez thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looper

8/10

Excellent. A lot darker than I actually thought it was going to be and all the better for it. It's a morally grey film, something I always like, it makes you question who is actually in the right in this film, if any of them are? Bruce Willis willing to kill children to preserve the life he'd made for himself was totally selfish and horrible, yet you can kinda sympathise with him at times. Same with JGL, you're backing him to fight for his own life but this is the same guy who kills people without remorse and is honestly wasting his life away on drugs and hookers. One man, but two different people, each willing to fight for something entirely different, it's great stuff. I always love people fighting against fate too, it's a simple theme that can often open up so many different questions. Some of the Emily Blunt stuff dragged, but otherwise a great movie and one definitely worth seeing.

The Campaign

5/10

Comedy and horror are the two most suffering genres of the last decade, particularly the last 5 years or so. Everything has become so bland and so similar, it's mind numbing. All comedy is the exact same these days, all you have in Hollywood right now is people who all think the same stuff is funny, so they're all writing the exact same stuff! So it's safe for you to assume that this film is no different from anything else you've seen before.

Untouchable

8/10

Beautiful! A touching and heartwarming story, real feelgood fare. The opening credits set the tone for the rest of the film. The relationship between Driss/Philipe is just so wonderful and charming, I also thought that they both used the good relationship with one another to hide away from their own problems, something that could've been touched on a little more.

Admittedly though, it's left me feeling quite depressed as I only wish I had companionship with someone I would spend all day, everyday with.

The Perks Of Being A Wallflower

6/10

I'm being a bit kind with the score as I was projecting myself onto this film quite often. Objectively though, it's quite average. Nothing radical or new, that we haven't seen countless times before. Logan's Charlie is a bit of a dick when it comes to his relationship with Mae Whitman's Mary-Elizabeth, personally I would ******* love to have someone as hot as Mae Whitman interested in me and her character seemed nice too. Emma Watson is hot too, of course, and thankfully she still has her short hair here (she's let it get long again recently and it really doesn't suit her). I like Erza Miller, he's been good in both this and We Need To Talk About Kevin.

Oh, and they've never heard of Bowie's Heroes?! And all this mix tapes, when the hell is this supposed to be set?

Taken 2

4/10

Dear God this was dull. Takes about 1 hour before anything really happens and even then all we really get is Neeson in a car yelling at Maggie Grace to 'go faster' with exciting shots of the gearstick being changed. That is not action! Much like the first film the villains are pretty much non-existant and useless, killing someone by hanging them upside down and leaving them for half an hour is the lamest way to kill someone ever!

Despite this a number of people actually got up and appluadedthis film at the end! :eek:

Sinister

6.5/10

Just last week I was complaining about the lack of good horror and then something decent comes along.

It's not particularly scary, but I think it manages to build a genuine creep factor throughout the film, mainly via the "home movies", the lawn mower one in particular. Ethan Hawke puts in a good performance, one that's certainly above what you typically find in mainstream horror flicks.

The appearance of the missing children wasn't so great, both in terms of presence and makeup. I liked that Bagul was being kept at a distance for most of the film, as something like this would tend to be shown too much, but I still think they could've used it just a little bit more, preferably for the ending. There were a couple of other small moments I wasn't keen on, but nothing damning.

Into the Blue

This was on TV the other night, I didn't expect too much from this and in the end I wasn't too disappointed when it pretty much met my expectations, it's your typical Action-Adventure film that features evil guys getting mad because the main characters tried to take something which may or may not be theirs to begin with and obviously this ends up with there being big explosions in the end. The best thing about the movie is that it's visually stunning to see (no pun intended), the water scenes are visually very nice.

Yes, the main reason I wanted to check this out in the first place is simply to see Jessica Alba larking around in the sea, simply phenomenal! I would have loved to have seen this on BD, Ashley Scott is no slouch either, but her performance was kind of a downer, she wasn't the only one though mind...oh also there's some packed guys in it too. :|

This film is definitely not an award winner in the acting department, but I think the majority will not be watching it for that anyway. Overall it's your popcorn film with big explosions and some style to it.

6/10

Sparkle

3/10

Singers are not actresses. Just one of the many problems with this. It's supposed to be set in the 60s but many aspects of it feel contemperary and out of place. The director thinks they're being stylish with their use of slow motion and such but it really just looks silly and amatuerish. Who honestly names thier child Sparkle?!

Ace Attorney

7/10

When you combine Takashi Miike with an over the top video game adaptation there can be only one result: complete madness.

That's exactly what I got from this film, a boat load of fun. Having never played the games I was probably missing on a lot of references but I didn't care I was too busy laughing at people's hair flying off and a parrot being cross examined (possibly one of the funniest scenes in recent years). It's a long film, but doesn't drag things keep moving briskly to each of the next court cases which are all packed full of hilarious brilliance.

So, you've been to SLA today =) I'll be there tomorrow for K-On and maybe Berserk as well.

As I didn't have much to do today, I went on a film binge. Watched Resident Evil 5, Frankenweenie & Looper.

Resident Evil 5
7/10 - it's actually a lot better than the previous one, and the plot almost makes sense!
But then again, anyone who goes to watch this movie or any reason other than get some kick-ass Mila Jojovich action, is going for the wrong reasons.

Frankenweenie
8/10 - Tim Burton's characteristic kid's film. Brilliantly animated, Karen O sings the ending song and has Wynona Ryder singing another song as well. Yes, I loved the film, and I think it's a great re-imagining of Frankenstein.

Looper
9/10 - Wasn't expecting much of it, and I was fairly impressed about it.

chaos said:
So, you've been to SLA today =) I'll be there tomorrow for K-On and maybe Berserk as well.

Hopefully see you there, I'm definitely going to Berserk as it'll be my only chance to see it since I can't get to the Edinburgh one.

Resident Evil 5
7/10 - it's actually a lot better than the previous one, and the plot almost makes sense!
But then again, anyone who goes to watch this movie or any reason other than get some kick-ass Mila Jojovich action, is going for the wrong reasons.

Frankenweenie
8/10 - Tim Burton's characteristic kid's film. Brilliantly animated, Karen O sings the ending song and has Wynona Ryder singing another song as well. Yes, I loved the film, and I think it's a great re-imagining of Frankenstein.

I seriously felt I couldn't put myself through another Resident Evil, the last one seemed to completely suck the soul out of me. Interesting to hear that it might actually be better and make sense this time though, Jovovich in tight costumes is always good to look at plus they've got Li Bingbing in it who is extremely hot...Looking at IMDB now and it seems that Michelle Rodriguez is in it again, how did that happen?! With her added in as well it's getting a bit too much and a certain part of me is wanting to go see this now :oops: .

As much as I hate Burton for most of his output in the last decade or so I've actually been looking forward to Frankenweenie as the trailers have looked quite good for it. I feel more hopeful now with it having gotten a good endorsement here.

Ruby Sparks

7/10

It sells itself as being a quirky, charming and endearing romance, but it's when things get dark and start to go wrong that things go right for this film. You watch as Calvin goes from a helpless sad sack into being a narcissistic control freak. As soon as he starts changing things and trying to control Ruby he just gets so evil and twisted.

Pusher (2012)

4/10

Yet to see the original so can't make comparisons, but I thought this was pretty poor on its own. Everything about the production just screams low end from the acting to the directing. I'm all for open endings but I thought the ending was atrocious, would maybe have meant something more if we felt invested in any of the characters in any way.

Paranormal Activity 4

3/10

It's a real toss-up between this and 3 as to what's worse...Ultimately I think 3 wins it, because that's incredibly stupid while this is more incredibly dull.

I loved the first film, liked the second, but, man, has this franchise plummeted down hill or what? Things just don't make much sense anymore in these films. In the first 2 there is at least reasonable plot excuses for filming things, in this film they're already, and continue to, just film stuff randomly with no explanation, just the odd 'Not the camera again?' line as if to suggest this is some sort of habit/trait though nothing else suggests so. They also start the whole house camera set up after two very minor incidents, there was never enough for them to convincingly start becoming so paranoid they need to have 5 laptops left switched on at all times to record everything. And what kind of batteries are those laptops running on for that to work? Despite setting up these cameras they almost never bother to watch the footage so can't be that paranoid, then after Robbie leaves they continue filming anyway, despite the fact that they believed he was the only reason for anything happening.

The demon's motives are beyond confusing now, what exactly does it want? Now some other boy, who it insists is Hunter despite already having Hunter? Why did it try to make the potential death of the daughter look like a suicide? Is the demon trying to cover its tracks now, are the police onto it? And why the hell is the demon playing Kinect?! :evil:

It's not as overly ridiculous as the last film, but not a lot happens here and it's just so dull, I was constantly checking my watch throughout despite it clocking in just under an hour and a half. The only thing it has going for it is the daughter is SUPER jailbait and I would happily do time for doing time with her.

Frankenweenie

6/10

Better than Burton's other recent outputs, but really it's just kinda there. It doesn't go much beyond the premise, you don't really get to know any characters, if you've seen the trailer you've seen the film. The "Engrish" was also quite racist.

Had this lying for ages; I wish I'd watched it sooner.

Senna (2010)

Gripping documentary about the tragically short life of Brazillian F1 champion Ayrton Senna, following him through his meteoric rise to fame in the mid-80's, his intense and bitter rivalry with French champion Alain Prost, and up to the fatal crash he suffered in 1994.

I'm not the biggest fan of F1 racing (though I do watch it on occasion), so I think it's a real credit to director Asif Kapadia that he forms the film into something approachable and instantly relatable. Rather than getting bogged down in the minute of the sport, the film wisely focuses on Senna the man. From the moment he appears on screen, his passion for racing shines through like a beacon, and we see him learn to deal with the intense pressure thrust upon him, as he becomes not just a champion, but also a symbol of tremendous national pride for his home country.

What makes this all the more impressive is that the film assembles such a compelling narrative entirely from the archives. Scenes are occasionally framed by new voice over from the people involved, but otherwise everything is race footage, television interview and home movie.

The film is fresh, engaging and well worth a look, even if you couldn't care less about those ridiculous cars going round an over-engineered track.

Professor Irony said:
Had this lying for ages; I wish I'd watched it sooner.

Senna (2010)

Gripping documentary about the tragically short life of Brazillian F1 champion Ayrton Senna, following him through his meteoric rise to fame in the mid-80's, his intense and bitter rivalry with French champion Alain Prost, and up to the fatal crash he suffered in 1994.

I'm not the biggest fan of F1 racing (though I do watch it on occasion), so I think it's a real credit to director Asif Kapadia that he forms the film into something approachable and instantly relatable. Rather than getting bogged down in the minute of the sport, the film wisely focuses on Senna the man. From the moment he appears on screen, his passion for racing shines through like a beacon, and we see him learn to deal with the intense pressure thrust upon him, as he becomes not just a champion, but also a symbol of tremendous national pride for his home country.

What makes this all the more impressive is that the film assembles such a compelling narrative entirely from the archives. Scenes are occasionally framed by new voice over from the people involved, but otherwise everything is race footage, television interview and home movie.

The film is fresh, engaging and well worth a look, even if you couldn't care less about those ridiculous cars going round an over-engineered track.
It was like a national holiday when the procession was going through. I remember we asked the teachers to let us go see the procession and pay our respects to him - actually, we just wanted to skip class, but it worked anyway.

All of us Brazilians believe that had Senna not died, Schumacher wouldn't be the biggest F1 racer ever....

Yeah, I can well imagine. It's tragic that he died just as he seemed to be reaching the peak of his career.

On a somewhat lighter note, we finally resurrected this pile of nonsense...

Double Feature: Princess Mononoke Vs. Mr. Vampire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back