Rate the Last Film You Watched

It Chapter Two
I happened to watch this the other night as well. Definately not as good as first one, alarm bells started sounding when it was revealed that every single one of these awkward, bullied and abused small-town kids and self-proclaimed "losers" had grown up to be either handsome, sucessful, wealthy and in some cases all three. Come on. I haven't actually read the book so I don't know how accurate the characters are, but when you're no longer rooting for the losers' club to triumph over adversity but the winners' club it (and IT) loses something. Having the bookish, uncool fat kid ultimately get the girl he's been pining over for 20 years, but only once he's a hyper-rich real estate developer with a chiselled jaw and abs, oh and a yacht is kind of sickeningly aspirational, especially for someone as cynical as Stephen King, I would have thought. I just finished reading The Institute (which I bought because the premise was disturbingly similar to an idea I had for a story, guess I won't bother with that now, damn your relentless productivity Steve) and I'm not sure I've read many books with a lower opinion of humanity (it was mostly decent, the ending sucked). Doing this while also having the gay character's unrequited love end in tragedy made it all seem a bit outdated trope-y, which was unfortunate. Perhaps there's some irony in having the first chapter set in the '80s but seeming more up-to-date story-telling and character wise, then having the second chapter set in the present day but feeling more like a movie from the '80s. I can't really fault the direction or acting though, it was still an enjoyable experience but one which left me feeling frustrated at some of the decisions that were made.

It’s been a while since I read the novel but maybe one day I’ll go back and read it and then rewatch the films to see how they stack up against one another.

Interstellar-Actually a rewatch. This is one of the best sci fi movies of the last few years, I love the way the characters interact with each other and their environment. Matthew McConaugey, Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain and the rest of the cast do a fantastic job of bringing the characters to life and Chris Nolan did a bang-up job of directing. The score by Hans Zimmer is eerie and suits the movie very well. All in all I'd give this 8.75 point out of a possible 10.

31 Days of Halloween!

Day XXVI: Return of Fly (1959, Edward Bernds), The Curse of the Fly (1965, Don Sharp)

1603743102269.jpeg
1603743131102.jpeg
The Fly was a successful enough film to spawn a quick sequel within a year or so of its release, with Vincent Price returning and the son of the scientist from the first film now grown up and determined to repair his father’s name. It’s an adequate sequel that retreads some story beats but Price is always good value. 3/5

Curse, meanwhile, doesn’t even feature a Fly fusion but instead feels like a body horror film of its era as it focuses on mutations and more teleportation shenanigans. I wasn’t much of a fan of the film overall but at least it tries something different. 2.5/5

31 Days of Halloween!

Day XXVII: The Fly (1986, David Cronenberg), The Fly II (1989, Chris Walas)

1603821923418.jpeg
1603822001338.jpeg
David Cronenberg’s remake of The Fly is a superb body horror film - one of the best. It’s a gruesome tragedy that works so well thanks to the leads Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis, who have great chemistry and give it their all, Goldblum especially under all that makeup.

The sequel, directed by Walas, who did the special effects for the first film, switches focus to Brundle’s son and is arguably even more cruel and tragic than the original in some places - though isn’t quite as strong a film (Eric Stoltz is a solid lead though). Both are well worth the watch though. 4.5/5, 3/5

Last edited:
What Dreams May Come-this is one of my favorite Robin Williams films. It captures an eerie vision of the afterlife (I mean-who knows?) with the intense colors of the oil painting in the first part of the movie where Robin's character has to accept the fact that he died. The special effects-especially in the vision of heaven sequence are fantastic. Great movie-7.8 out of a possible 10 points.

31 Days of Halloween!

Day XXVIII: Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988, Chiodo Brothers)

1603917702814.jpeg
I usually dedicate some of the last few days for the month to some old favourites and KKFOS is one such cult classic that I find very entertaining. The characters are memorable and the klowns themselves have some great designs. There was apparently meant to be a sequel at some point during the early 2010’s but it never happened. 4/5

31 Days of Halloween!

Day XXIX: Hellbound: Hellraiser II (1988, Tony Randell)
1604001842856.jpeg

The best in a series wherein the sequels are a case of diminishing returns, Hellbound continues from where Hellraiser with lead Kirstey now finding herself trying to save a fellow patient from the grasp of a Doctor obsessed with the puzzle box and cenobites.

I find myself revisiting this film more than the original due to its ambitious ideas and how it expanded upon the original storyline as opposed to rehashing it. 4/5

31 Days of Halloween!

Day XXX: Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (Producer’s Cut) (1995, Joe Chappelle)

1572470558806.jpeg

Though still a flawed film, the Producer’s Cut of Curse is an improvement upon the theatrical version, which is an underwhelming experience that ends abruptly and was another less-than-stellar Halloween sequel.

Donald Pleasance is great here in his final film appearance as Loomis, and the lead character is a sympathetic young mother trying to keep her son from becoming a victim to the goings on within the film. This is my favourite of the post III movies, and even if the cult subplot wasn’t exactly a necessity for the franchise, it tries something different at least. 4/5

Shaolin Soccer

What a comedic masterpiece this film is. For some reason I thought this was going to be a fairly serious if bombastic martial arts film. Instead it was an absurdist, surreal over the top comedy and it was absolutely brilliant.

The first half of the film goes from A to B via X K G as it were and it was so much fun. The characters are crazy and loveable and yet theres an emotional core to them that you can really get behind. The second half gets into the meat and bones of Kung Fu Football and it was a glorious spectacle. Really inspired by OTT anime styling I was hooked to it.

It's a bit rough around the edges in some respects but in terms of pure enjoyment watching it an easy 10/10

Yeah, Shaolin Soccer is very funny, and good movie. When I was gonna see it for the first time, someone recommend me as "Captain Tsubbasa" live action or adaptation of Kunio Kun game from Nintendo. Btw, did you see continuation/spin off "Shaolin Girl"?

31 Days of Halloween!

Day XXXI: The Exorcist III: Legion (1990, William Peter Blatty)

1572554673223.jpeg

Once again I spend the actual evening of Halloween watching this superb film. Author of the original Exorcist novel William Peter Blatty does a great job as director whilst the standout performances from George C. Scott, Jason Miller and Brad Dourif really make the film what it is. Legion is a film that I find a new appreciation for with each viewing, though some aren’t quite as fond of it overall. 4.5/5

Another year, another marathon. My final list of films is presented below:
1. Beyond the Door 3.5/5
2. Universal Mummy sequels: The Mummy's Hand (3/5), The Mummy's Tomb (2.5/5), The Mummy's Ghost (2.5/5), The Mummy's Curse (1.5/5)
3. The Bloodthirsy Trilogy: The Vampire Doll (3.5/5), Lake of Dracula (2.5/5), Evil of Dracula (3/5)
4. Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh 3/5
5. Swamp Thing 3.5/5
6. The Prey 2/5
7. The Exorcist II: The Heretic 3/5
8. The Hills Have Eyes Part II 2.5/5
9. Universal Frankenstein Sequels: Son of Frankenstein (4/5), The Ghost of Frankenstein (3/5), Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (3.5/5)
10. One Missed Call 3/5
11. The House that Dripped Blood 3.5/5
12. The Evil Dead (Rewatch) 4/5
13. Mr Vampire 3.5/5
14. In the Aftermath 2/5
15. The Fly (1958) 3.5/5
16. Universal Dracula Sequels: Daughter of Dracula (3.5/5), Son of Dracula (3.5/5)
17. Universal Monster Crossovers: House of Frankenstein (3.5/5), House of Dracula (1.5/5)
18. The Count Yorga Collection: Count Yorga, Vampire (3/5) The Return of Count Yorga (3.5/5)
19. The Chill Factor 1.5/5
20. As the Gods Will 3.5/5
21. Dario Argento's Opera 4/5
22. Scream 4/5
23. The Omen 3.5/5
24. It Chapter Two 3.5/5
25. Tower of London (1962) 3/5
26. Return of the Fly 3/5 The Curse of the Fly 2.5/5
27. The Fly (1986) 4.5/5, The Fly II 3/5
28. Killer Klowns from Outer Space (Rewatch) 4/5
29. Hellraiser II: Hellbound (Rewatch) 4/5
30. Halloween 6 Producer's Cut (Rewatch) 4/5
31. The Exorcist III: Legion (Rewatch) 4.5/5

To anyone reading these little summaries, happy Halloween!

Last edited:
Yeah, Shaolin Soccer is very funny, and good movie. When I was gonna see it for the first time, someone recommend me as "Captain Tsubbasa" live action or adaptation of Kunio Kun game from Nintendo. Btw, did you see continuation/spin off "Shaolin Girl"?
No I havent seen Shaolin Girl. I only found out about Shaolin Soccer I week ago!

No ratings but here's what horror movies i managed to watch during October. I didn't think i would make it to 31 but it turned out that i could have easily gone over 31 but i wanted to stop there. Still have many horror films left so i'll be still continuing watching them during november

1.StageFright: Aquarius
2.Cat People (1942)
3.The Monster Squad
4.Xtro
5.From Beyond the Grave
6.Jeepers Creepers
7.Black Sabbath (1963)
8.Horror Express
9.Southbound
10.Ginger Snaps
11.Psycho II
12.The Changeling (1980)
13.Possum
14.Scanners (probably)
15.Lurking Fear
16.Pit And The Pendulum
17.Vampire Doll
18.Silver Bullet
19.Company Of Wolves
20.Resident Evil:After Life
21.Doom: Annihilation
22.The Plague of the Zombies
23.Sleepy Hollow
24.Dark Night of the Scarecrow
25.Bride Of Chucky
26.Humanoids From The Deep
27.Hatchet
28.Night of the Living Dead 1990
29.Cat People (1982)
30.Cult of Chucky
31.Black Christmas (1974)

I bolded the ones that i had fully seen before.

Outland (1981)

Some of my friends and I are doing a regular film stream now and, having gravitated towards '70s sci-fi, we felt it only right to watch something in tribute to the late Sean Connery. Zardoz sadly wasn't winning the other folk over, so we settled on Outland, a perhaps lesser known loose remake of classic western High Noon, that sees Big Sean as the sole honest cop trying to stamp out a powerful drug dealing racket on a morally indifferent mining colony in deep space.

The film is perhaps overly straightforward and a little lacking in tension, but Connery shines as the world weary marshall, and Frances Sternhagen hoovers up all the best lines as a spikey doctor who becomes his unlikely ally. Fans of that Alien-era, cassette futurism aesthetic will also find much to revel in, with atmospheric sets and minature work a plenty, along with good attention to incidental details, like a surprisingly plausible virtual golf game.

Inland Empire

snapshot_01.29.20.649.jpg

Many years ago, shortly after discovering David Lynch, I purchased the DVD of Inland Empire. I never watched it. Some time later, I purchased the Blu-ray of Inland Empire. I never watched it. Tonight, after a wait of somewhere between twelve and thirteen years, was the night I decided I was finally in the right headspace for Inland Empire.

I am not sure such a state is even possible to attain.

Colossus (1970)

An early (?) entry for the 'AI decides mankind is incapable of making its own decisions' sub-genre, this is an honest, well-acted rumination on the direction of world politics at the time, but lacks the sort of revelatory drama that would have made it really memorable - it's more like an extended episode of The Twilight Zone. It wouldn't surprise me if it was a big influence on later efforts like WarGames and Demon Seed, however.

Almost Human (1974)

A passable Eurocrime potboiler, with Tomas Milian as a small-time hood who turns to violent kidnapping in a bid to prove he's one of the big dogs. Grim and occasionally quite shocking, the film is let down by some iffy pacing and an underwritten, largely predictable script that doesn't serve Milian's strong turn in the lead role or some interesting character quirks that are not capitalised upon. Genre fans may be amused, however, to see many of the exact same locations used in (the far superior) Live Like a Cop, Die Like a Man, with star Ray Lovelock also turning up in a small role as a sympathetic underling.

Popeye The Sailor-finally got this on bluray and watched it for the first time. As I'm a big Robin Williams fan I just had to watch it. It was pretty badly reviewed when it came out in 1980, I thought it was pretty good but the ending was quite weak. It did a bang-up job of capturing the essence the old Max Fletcher cartoons from the 1930's and 40's. All in all I'd give it 6.75 points out of a possible 10.

Last edited:
THX 1138 (1971)

Many people are probably aware of the name from its appearances elsewhere, but not necessarily that it refers to this early outing from George Lucas, following a young couple living in a dystopian future society regulated by prescription drugs. Visually striking and consistently engaging, the film unfortunately feels a bit overly familiar in how how it handles its thematical subject matter, although it is very inventive in its execution - particularly in a surreal sequence depicting an unfathomably large, empty prison space - and offers an intriguing glimpse of what Lucas might otherwise have done with his career, if he hadn't made Star Wars.

Logan's Run (1976)

The idea of a futuristic society whose citizens lead a hedonistic existence, in exchange for a severely limited life-span, has certainly lodged itself in popular culture, even if this film which (I think) really coined the idea seems to have faded from view. Watching it now, it's a surprisingly dated experience - it looks and feels far more like a product of the late '60s - but still provides a fair bit of old-fashioned, saturday matinee style fun, with Michael York clearly enjoying himself in the lead role. Jenny Agutter and Farah Fawcett are sadly wasted in thankless damsel parts, but it's Peter Ustinov who really steals the film in a late-game cameo.

Spiderman: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)

Unless you particularly dislike Lord & Miller's sense of humour, I think it's hard to fault a very funny and hugely accomplished romp for the Miles Morales version of Spidey, as he finds himself at the centre of a dimensional rift dragging in a host of other spider-sonas, who may or may not be able to help him don the heroic mantle. Perhaps the irreverent meta-commentary (the film almost plays like an all-ages version of the Deadpool movies) undermines the more emotional moments a little, and I would have liked a bit more screentime for Noir and Peni, but I expected to enjoy this film a lot, and I was not disappointed.

Back