Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Are you a fan of Star Trek? I ask because I can definitely see how it would fit with fans of shows like Star Trek.
Yes, especially the original series, which I was old enough to watch when it originally aired in the 1960's. But I relate Space Battleship Yamato 2199 more with Battlestar Galactica - The one background song played often in 2199 actually uses the first line of music from the original Battalestar Galactica series OP. And my most favorite TV series of all time was the 2004-2009 remake of Battlestar Galactica that aired on the SciFi Channel, I have the series on Blu-ray and re-watch it quite often. I do love space operas!

Yes, especially the original series, which I was old enough to watch when it originally aired in the 1960's. But I relate Space Battleship Yamato 2199 more with Battlestar Galactica - The one background song played often in 2199 actually uses the first line of music from the original Battalestar Galactica series OP. And my most favorite TV series of all time was the 2004-2009 remake of Battlestar Galactica that aired on the SciFi Channel, I have the series on Blu-ray and re-watch it quite often. I do love space operas!

I loved the remake of BSG, but I didn't like Star Trek. I don't even know why, the show did kind of feel like a mix of the two, although I would say I preferred the more serious tone of BSG.

I think the characters in BSG were more interesting/better than in 2199, I didn't really connect with many of them. Domel was a good villain though.

I do enjoy some sci-fi/space films but there aren't many good ones made, and BSG is probably the only space opera I've seen from Western TV that I enjoyed.

Digimon (season 1)

Digimon is a great series and I wish I appreciated it more when I was younger.

It's an isekai anime where the entire main cast can barely tolerate each other. It's got a joke dub with a lot of passive-aggressiveness, plenty of absolutely ridiculous lines and a surprising amount of genuinely funny one liners.

The animation is about as good as you'd expect from a late '90s kids anime and the dub has a few awful voices, but none of that matters.

The story is fun and varied. I actually found the parts of the story in the real world to be a bit more interesting than the digital world stuff, but there's always something going on. It's more centred around adventures than battling, but obviously there are battles too, because there are monsters and they need to battle to get stronger to transform to sell more stuff.

Again, every character seems to hate each other. Every episode is filled with snide comments and it's amazing. They're stuck in a weird world together and I guess they're supposed to win using the power of ~friendship~ but they'd rather just argue and throw bitchy comments around. Excellent.

It does nothing out of the ordinary, but it's a fun story with a lot of silly stuff (and the dub is actually funny).

There are Digimon who are literally just walking turds, a singing monkey Digimon with an Elvis voice (Presley, not Costello), some blood(!), one of the characters' dads smokes (take that, Sanji), actual death gets mentioned (not just "destroyed" or "sent to the Shadow Realm"), there's a 666 reference and a scene where a Digimon does a poo in someone's car - the whole thing is just a wild ride from start to finish - 9/10

New Game!

It's a bit hard to rate this. It’s OK. There’s nothing especially good, but there’s nothing too bad either.

The whole thing is so sedate. Is it relaxing? Is it just boring? I don’t really know.

I’m fairly sure I won’t remember anything about this show in two weeks, but it wasn’t awful enough to give up on. It was a challenge staying focused on it sometimes, mostly because there’s not much to focus on.

The characters generally aren’t interesting and they don’t do much. Someone eats another person's dessert from the fridge once and there’s a minor dispute about the thermostat. There’s also a cat for some reason. That’s about all that stuck out.

Nothing funny or sad or exciting or unexpected happens. Obviously it's a slice of life anime, so I'm not expecting someone to turn Super Saiyan Purple or eat someone's leg or whatever, but New Game! is just...nothing.

There are some really nice settings and backgrounds. The office has a lot to look at - each work area is distinct and looks great. There are also scenes in stores with some very appealing shots. The computers/monitors/etc are all well detailed too. If/when you get bored, you can pause and have a look various bits of gaming equipment.

Again, it's not an awful series. I've seen a lot worse and I've also seen a lot better. I wouldn't recommend New Game! to anyone, but I wouldn't tell anyone not to watch it either - 5/10

Halo Legends - 6/10
It's like the Animatrix, but for Halo franchise. The parody episode cracked me out, other episodes were fine. Must watch for fans of Halo games.

Digimon (season 1)
obviously there are battles too, because there are monsters and they need to battle to get stronger to transform to sell more stuff.
Again, every character seems to hate each other. Every episode is filled with snide comments and it's amazing. They're stuck in a weird world together and I guess they're supposed to win using the power of ~friendship~ but they'd rather just argue and throw bitchy comments around. Excellent.
a singing monkey Digimon with an Elvis voice (Presley, not Costello)

New Game!
The characters generally aren’t interesting and they don’t do much. Someone eats another person's dessert from the fridge once and there’s a minor dispute about the thermostat.
Obviously it's a slice of life anime, so I'm not expecting someone to turn Super Saiyan Purple or eat someone's leg or whatever
If/when you get bored

🤣👍👍👍👍👍
Dude!!! How do you do it?

Tiger & Bunny - 9/10 (Rewatch)
Love this, so much fun. Wild Tiger/Kotetsu is such an awesome character. Still stunned it wasn’t a bigger hit in the west. Especially since it’s got high ratings on MAL/ANN. Hopefully more people watch it now it’s on Netflix.

Watched it with my son this time round and he loved it too. We always watch films at the weekend and he was so disappointed we weren't watching the rest of it till this week 😂

Tiger & Bunny - 9/10 (Rewatch)
Love this, so much fun. Wild Tiger/Kotetsu is such an awesome character. Still stunned it wasn’t a bigger hit in the west. Especially since it’s got high ratings on MAL/ANN. Hopefully more people watch it now it’s on Netflix.

Watched it with my son this time round and he loved it too. We always watch films at the weekend and he was so disappointed we weren't watching the rest of it till this week 😂

I dunno why but I am terribly put off by the name of this one, it sounds like it's aimed at kids to me, but I am just going off the name. Makes me look over it when it could actually be decent.

I've wanted to watch it for ages, but I wasn't interested in those Kaze releases and I never got around to importing it (I own one of the movies AL released though).

I'm glad it's on Netflix - I'll probably watch it soon!

I dunno why but I am terribly put off by the name of this one, it sounds like it's aimed at kids to me, but I am just going off the name. Makes me look over it when it could actually be decent.
I never actually thought about the name but I think that could be the reason more people haven’t watched it. I tend to always look at trailers or clips and when I saw some of this I knew I had to watch it.

I've wanted to watch it for ages, but I wasn't interested in those Kaze releases and I never got around to importing it (I own one of the movies AL released though).

I'm glad it's on Netflix - I'll probably watch it soon!
I got the Kaze sets. Quite nice but I know what you mean.. I like complete sets and Kaze have a horrible history with their releases but I couldn’t wait to watch this one and just went for it.

You shouldn’t go by the name as it’s not aimed at kids at all. Some great villains and intrigue. One of my fave series.
Couldn't have put it better myself. Glad you really like it too.

Bastard - 7/10 (Rewatch)
Enjoyed this first time round and enjoyed it again. I think it’s helped by the fact the show doesn't take itself too seriously and it’s quite humorous. Can’t say I’d normally like that but it works here. Dark Schneider is the kinda character you shouldn’t like but he’s actually quite funny, you know the anti hero type. I love those 😁. Add a bit of violence and a sort of medieval setting and I’m in.. just wish we’d got more 😁

I remember when I first saw a clip for this and it gave me Berserk vibes... it’s nothing like Berserk but I’m glad I thought it was gonna be as its the reason I watched it 😂

Couldn't have put it better myself. Glad you really like it too.
well I do have Japanese release of series (with art box) and both movies since I love it so much and they came with English subtitles. Can’t wait for the 2nd season that was announced.

makes me want to rewatch it.

I never actually thought about the name but I think that could be the reason more people haven’t watched it. I tend to always look at trailers or clips and when I saw some of this I knew I had to watch it.

Yeah maybe so! I'd go and check it out but I still have quite a long list of things on my PTW, so it's a maybe for down the line for me. I do know it's a stupid reason to pre-judge it, but it's a bit like hearing someone tell you their name is Karen when you get a call.

Yeah maybe so! I'd go and check it out but I still have quite a long list of things on my PTW, so it's a maybe for down the line for me. I do know it's a stupid reason to pre-judge it, but it's a bit like hearing someone tell you their name is Karen when you get a call.
🤣 that’s tickled me.. poor Karen 😂

I hear you. I always get my to watch list down and then buy a load more so it’s back at the same level it was before 😂

The Misfit of Demon King Academy

This show is basically a worse version of the Irregular at Magic High School.

I found the story in this was uninteresting, and the magic system that was used was convoluted and confusing.

Things I did like: The MC was actually a bit of a gent and didn't take advantage of his legion of adoring fangirls, and the fangirls weren't accidentally tripping over and falling on top of him naked. The character art was pretty good but a lot of the action and environment art was kind of ropey.

In conclusion, watch Irregular instead if you want something with an overpowered MC.

5/10

Demon Slayer

This has been one of the most hyped series in recent years - and it deserves it TBH.

Firstly, it looks amazing. You know when you watch a show (especially a shonen battle series - hello, Dragon Ball Super) and the animation in the OP looks better than everything else and you feel just a little bit disappointed? Even stuff like Gravity Falls does that. But Demon Slayer doesn't.

Everything just looks so good. The characters, the backgrounds, the forest - Demon Slayer is an absolute joy to look at (and listen to - the dub is perfect too). It's got a great visual style and the battles look frantic and exciting. Even the "next episode" previews have an awesome style (and they're pretty funny as well).

Much like one of the characters, it's more than just a pretty face - the story is very enjoyable too. There's not a lot of variety in settings (it's mostly snowy forests, but it mixes things up here and there - especially towards the end), but it never feels boring or monotonous. It really benefits from having one of the most likeable main characters I think I've ever seen in a shonen battle series.

Tanjiro (the main character) is a welcome change from most Jump heroes - he's not a complete idiot, he's not permanently moody and he's not Naruto but a different colour. He's polite and pleasant and he has a goal other than being the king of ninjas or the ultimate wizard pirate or America's Next Top Model or whatever. It's very easy to sympathise with him. I want Tanjiro to succeed in everything he does and I wish I could help him.

The supporting cast is great too. Tanjiro has a few allies (who are really varied in looks and personality), lots of enemies (demons, as the title might have given away) with loads of unique powers (there's one pair I found particularly interesting) and plenty of people who seem like they could go either way.

It's quite violent compared to most Jump anime (there's a decent amount of blood in some episodes) and there's pretty much no fanservice (one fairly minor female character wears a revealing top, but that's literally it).

I really can't think of any negatives about Demon Slayer. It's perfect visually, plus it's exciting and interesting too. Easily one of the best anime series I've ever seen! - 10/10

I need to give that show another shot one of these days. I watched the first episode back when it was airing, and it did nothing for me, so I just dropped it. I've been baffled by its popularity ever since.
Honestly, it doesn't really vary too much from the general tone/content of the first episode - so if you weren't into that, you mightn't really find much you like in the rest of the series.

I would say you should watch it anyway, but since I completely lost interest in Gurren Lagann after a single episode, I don't think I'm in a position to give that kind of advice. 😅

Back