Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Fooly Cooly
9/10
What the **** did i just watch? Probably the wierdest thing ive ever watched in my entire life. hell i thought Bobobo-bobo-bobo was weird..but THIS! However, it was a good show. The animation was great, it had some of the best animated fights ive ever seen in a anime and the whole growing up thing was pretty smart.

Good things:
fantastic animation and action, it was quite funny, its original.

Bad things:
some things werent explained like thet robots comming out of the boys head. I just pressume when ever he got horny a giant robot came out of him, a lil too weird for me, ending was rushed

Zin5ki said:
Heavens ilmaestro, you seem highly taken by that series. Have any R1 licensors been considering it as an acquisition?
Unfortunately, not yet. :(

It's the highest selling TV anime of all time, bar Evangelion of course, so I can only imagine that the asking price is a sticking point atm.

School Rumble S2 - 7/10

At its best, the second series of School Rumble is every bit as good as the first. Unfortunately it's weighed down by a lot of unfunny parody and its attempt to give screen time to every member of what had become a very large cast.

Where the first series had a structure underpinning the silliness, and always seemed to be going somewhere, the second is all over the place. There's some plot progression in the middle and towards the end, where it returns to the hilarious romantic comedy it was before, but otherwise there are just too many duds.

Still, the high points trample over just about every high school romantic comedy ever made, and the second ED is quite adorable. Great dub as well.

I had been considering doing a review of Bakemonogatari as well, but basically I'm with ilmaestro on this one. I'd find it difficult to really look at the series objectively. To paraphrase Yahtzee, the video would be more like a ten minute marraige proposal than a review...

fabricatedlunatic said:
School Rumble S2 - 7/10

... and its attempt to give screen time to every member of what had become a very large cast
Yep, very true. Whilst there are a lot of good characters, none of them are as awesome as the main cast. I could do with either a re-read or re-watch of School Rumble, I think.

Professor Irony said:
To paraphrase Yahtzee, the video would be more like a ten minute marriage proposal than a review...
Heh, I'm no massive fan of Yahtzee, but I like that line. What was the original quotation?

Familiar of Zero - 6/10

Fantasy adventure romantic comedy that does the romantic comedy bit much better than the fantasty adventure bit. Some of the characters who annoyed me at first had grown on me by the end (including that bitch Louise), and I enjoyed the fanservice/raunchy humour.

I can't, however, say the same about the underdeveloped plot, which was more a peksy distraction from the amusing japery than anything else. There was one twist near the end that totally took me by surprise, but otherwise it was all fairly predictable.

A fun watch overall. But... did I fall asleep during the part where it was explained how Saito knew how to fly a fúcking plane!?

Last edited by a moderator:
King of Braves - GaoGaiGar

Wow. I'm in awe. I never anticipated this series to get me so emotionally attached and showing me some of the most epic moments in anime. You get through the monster of the week formula and BAM! Everything turns freaking awesome. I can't see a super robot show beating GaoGaiGar.

I don't have many words to describe it. It's just too good.

10/10

Strike Witches - 7/10

*BOOOOOM* - the sound of what remains of my credibility going up in flames.

As much as I wanted to, or believed I should, I just couldn’t dislike this show. That each of the characters are (loosely) based on actual WWII pilots; that the story is half decent; and that it has relatively high quality visuals all elevate it above the usual fan service fluff.

Ah, yes, the fan service. While I didn’t find the many close-up shots of loli crotch particularly arousing, I do have an appreciation for shows that push the boundaries of good taste, and Strike Witches often does. Much like Aika and Najica, there’s a humour and playfulness about the crotch and hindquarters fixation that somehow prevents it from being creepy. Not to mention that several characters are more, um, developed than others...

Being a graphics whore, good visuals can help me overlook deficiencies elsewhere. Not only does Strike Witches have one of the best art directors in anime (Hiromasa Ogura), its flight scenes are brilliantly staged and animated, and that’s what had me watching past the first episode. Also on display is some of Gonzo’s best CG work.

What kept me watching was a combination of that and an entertaining bunch of characters. Early on the episodes played out in predictable fashion; one of the witches had some kind of personal issue that would be resolved, with the help of rookie Yoshika, within the episode itself. Not exactly deep stuff, but entertaining and often quite endearing. That I didn’t find any of the characters annoying was a pleasant surprise.

The story concerning the appearance of mysterious life forms known as Neuroi and a shady military conspiracy is probably the show's weakest aspect. It's serviceable but there wasn't enough time to fully explore everything, and it comes to a fairly abrupt conclusion in the last couple of episodes.

Yay, the guy didn't die.
Just watched Banner of the Star 1 & 2. 7 out of 10.
Blowing stuff up everywhere, and really routeing for the characters. Although i hate it when anime obviously has a perfect couple and just leaves the relationship hanging, as if they'll finish it off later. BUT THEY NEVER THEN CONTINUE! :evil: They do that alot.

Just watched Code Geass for the first time. It was very Gundam-y but with a supernatural twist and a bit of Death Note "quick thinking a way out of an impossible situation" scenes. That being said, I did enjoy the series a lot, even if some scenes between Lelouch and Suzaku seemed like they were lifted from Gundam Seed...

As for the final disc, the parts with Euphy accidently getting Geass'd and killing "all Japanese" was horrifying and a great twist, leading into a fun final two episodes with one hell of a cliffhanger.

Sometimes an Anime gets such high ratings you wonder if it's overrated, in this case I agree with most of the positive ratings. 9/10

I'm glad I ordered R2 with the first series, as now I can go straight into it!

Last edited by a moderator:
CDAdair said:
Yay, the guy didn't die.
Just watched Banner of the Star 1 & 2. 7 out of 10.
Blowing stuff up everywhere, and really routeing for the characters. Although i hate it when anime obviously has a perfect couple and just leaves the relationship hanging, as if they'll finish it off later. BUT THEY NEVER THEN CONTINUE! :evil: They do that alot.

It is still continuing. Currently there are 4 Banner of the Stars novels, three of them have been animated. Only the first two series have been released in the west.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banner_of_the_Stars

&

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... hp?id=4899

YAY!
Although I still get the impression that the writers like not cementing romantic relationships with their characters in a lot of anime stuff. maybe they're just waiting until they know the series over?

Back