Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

CDAdair said:
Going to find me a copy of Banner of the Stars when i get home.
I warn you: much of the second series occupies itself with the doings and conversations of somewhat insipid Abh aristocrats. Enjoy the Jinto/Lafiel moments when they occur.

No anime this season stood out as much as Mitsudomoe did to me.
Ladies and gentlemen, here we have a completist stuck with something he dislikes.
I gave up halfway through episode 4, so I'll have to revisit it later.

So far my main problem with the series is the character design, followed by the repetitive use of the same jokes.
Do I like to watch the same character sliding on urine over and over? Meh.
Do I like to watch a teacher acting overly clumsy (pouring urine on her coffee / eyes)? I don't think so.
Did I like the shots of the karate girl's overly detailed bottom on episode one? Meh.

Episode one was okay despite that, but from episode 2 onwards the quality dropped absurdly. I think this anime must have been inspired by that film where a protagonist ends up in a world full of idiots (forgot the name), literally. Idiocracy, that's it.

Personal: 0.5/10
Technical: Cancelled.

Unlike Strike Witches, this one plays on nasty grounds and has no underage boobies to attract much of an audience by being infamous (free publicity from haters).
The sex jokes got old really fast, and on that aspect we have another anime this season doing it in a much more unique manner.

Zin5ki said:
CDAdair said:
Going to find me a copy of Banner of the Stars when i get home.
I warn you: much of the second series occupies itself with the doings and conversations of somewhat insipid Abh aristocrats. Enjoy the Jinto/Lafiel moments when they occur.
Will do, thanks.

Kei-kun said:
The sex jokes got old really fast, and on that aspect we have another anime this season doing it in a much more unique manner.
Seitokai Yakuindomo? I have to be fair and say that I have actually laughed at every episode of Mitsudomoe (although I didn't enjoy ep 2 that much), but SYD is some really, *really* gentle, repetitive humor imo.

Just in a single episode I could find at least 4-5 unique quotes. They have some creativity there, and that appeals to me more than a bunch of characters slipping on urine.
Could be seen as repetitive because it relies more on what's being said than what's being shown. But if we're looking from that perspective, the same could be said about Mitsudomoe and how it prolongs its jokes for too long (like the hamster being called Nipples, and the drawn breasts that apparently were the focus of at least 10 minutes of episode 4).

I find SYD repetitive just in terms of the tone and content of the jokes, the same way that Mitsudomoe is. I just find Mitsudomoe to be a lot "outright" funnier, with SYD being more "oh, yeah... nice joke" kind of funny. I really don't have any problem or exhibit any surprise at people not like Mitsudomoe that much, but to say that SYD is some great example of originality and varied humor surprises me *a lot*.

I didn't call it original though. I said it's doing it in a unique manner, and that it's got some creativity to it.

The initial set-up has a little creativity to it, but we've seen similar setups in other recent series (similar-but-reversed gender roles in Maid-sama!, girl who loves to talk about sex in B-gata H-kei), and it's really not got any variety at all. Fair enough if you like it though, it's not what I would call "actively" bad.

Black★Rock Shooter

I've been observing all the hype around this OVA for some time and I always knew it was never going to live up to the insanely high expectations people had for it. The whole thing is constantly switching between these battles between BRS & the main girl's best friend's transformation and the times shared between both girls at school (and the latter isn't particularly interesting). Nothing in that other world gets explained. Just where and what is that world? Who/what is Black★Rock Shooter? Why did her friend transform into that and why did they have to fight? At least the animation for the fighting was decent.

So, nothing really gets explained, but hey, at least it's nice to look at.

5/10

Just where and what is that world? Who/what is Black★Rock Shooter? Why did her friend transform into that and why did they have to fight?
They didn't really try to explain that. I'd say it was all about the visuals, and the broken friendship was an acceptable explanation.
Two girls become best friends. After they get separated in college one of them grows apart and becomes jealous.
So, that's where the new world gets in.

Clannad didn't explain the other world in the first season either, but that's not a reason to rate it down, because it did deliver what it tried to (and that's coming from someone who disliked it).

Now, it definitely was a beautiful story between friends, indeed. But I'd easily understand why others wouldn't like it, since it's not really my boat either.
The art, character design, and voice acting alone would get a 10/10 from me, but I'll decide the overall rating later on (you can expect a 7/10).
I suppose you didn't like Comedy (OVA) either, did you? Because they didn't really explain anything about the world or even characters.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few weeks ago I purchased the first five and a half series of Naruto, knowing that I love Shonen series and knowing its popularity, I decided to check it out at last.

Well, where to start? I'll try and make it brief. Naruto as a main character has plenty of things to make you feel sorry for him, but in the end he ended up annoying me more than entertaining me. Sasuke on the other hand went from a one dimensional Shonen stereotype to an interesting character who actually turned somewhat evil. Seeing this slowly develop was the highlight of the series (For the record I don't plan on buying 6:2-9, I don't need to see the filler...)

Other characters ranged from boring to fun to "yeah I've seen it many times, but I always like this kind of character". The Arcs were okay, but an over reliance on flashbacks made me wish for the DBZ staredown (well... maybe not...) and how many episodes did the Third Hokage and Orochimaru stay locked in a stalemate? I had to let out a loud sigh every time they cut to them, they had a few words, and then it went away until the next episode.

Overall I'll give the series 8/10. There were some true highlights that I'll gladly watch again, but I'll watch with the fast forward but on standby due to the padding out that often occurs during pivotal moments in the series, and some annoying Naruto bits. Now for Naruto Shippuden...

Dantes Inferno the animeted epic
7.5/10
Was slightly better than the first time i watched it, but still it could of been much better. they should of just had 1 animation studio animating the film not 6. But there is some good action and gore so it kept me entertained for a while

Kei-kun said:
Just where and what is that world? Who/what is Black★Rock Shooter? Why did her friend transform into that and why did they have to fight?
They didn't really try to explain that. I'd say it was all about the visuals, and the broken friendship was an acceptable explanation.
Two girls become best friends. After they get separated in college one of them grows apart and becomes jealous.
So, that's where the new world gets in.

Clannad didn't explain the other world in the first season either, but that's not a reason to rate it down, because it did deliver what it tried to (and that's coming from someone who disliked it).
Now, it definitely was a beautiful story between friends, indeed. But I'd easily understand why others wouldn't like it, since it's not really my boat either.
The art, character design, and voice acting alone would get a 10/10 from me, but I'll decide the overall rating later on (you can expect a 7/10).
I suppose you didn't like Comedy (OVA) either, did you? Because they didn't really explain anything about the world or even characters.
The thing with CLANNAD was that I believe it was made for those that have played the VN (like I have), which was a little more explicit in regards to the Other World. But it is fair to say they could have explained it a little better.

Also, your "how" of that other world forming can make sense, but there needs to be a "why" with it. Why would it form because of that? Maybe I'm just stupid when it comes to reading between the lines but I just need a plausible reason for everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finished watching The Slayers, 6 out of 10 for me.
It wasn't bad at all, weird and fun, good for a good giggle, although it seemed to take a few episodes for it to get into its stride.

Soul Eater volume 2
8/10
it was good. Good story and decent fights. What bothers me so much is that they talk way too much when they should be fighting instead

The Sky Crawlers, 10/10.

The single most fulfilling cinematic experience I have had this year. I love you Mamoru Oshii, I hope you never change in any way (no, wait...)

Spurred on by the fact that I was falling further behind with the second season, I finally managed to rewatch Strike Witches over the last week or so.

Two years on and the cast of characters is still as much fun to be around, very difficult to have such a large primary cast and make you feel like you know and like all of them in their own way.

About the only failing the story has is that, possibly due to only having 12 episodes to work with, the conspiracy in the military is not given enough room to breathe and ends up feeling a bit rushed. The last two episodes are still awesome and action packed, but a little bit better pacing and it could have been even better. This has the knock-on effect of leaving the mystery of Neu-ko largely unsolved (although it's not hard to guess what is happening), and thus making the wait for the second season far too long!

Production wise, it still looks great, some of Gonzo's best work (and I am actually one of those seemingly rare Gonzo fans). And "Watashi ni Dekiru Koto" holds up as a fine OP. The real standout moments (Mio's shield failing, Perrine's reaction to Gallia being freed) still give the sort of rush that "genuinely" good shows have, too.

8/10

And my list of Witches in order of most awesomeness:

Perrine
Erica~Mio
Eila~Minna
Sanya
Francesca
Yoshika
Lynne
Charlotte
Trude

Cobra The Animation: The Psychogun
Cobra The Animation: Time Drive
Cobra The Animation

Pretty solid entertainment. Never too emotional, and not much fanservice besides naked women all over the place.
The animation was good, and solid for a TV series, but rather average.
Plot was generic, pretty much what you'd expect of a 007 episodic cartoon if it were made, but male lead made is interesting. The setting was pretty good and unusual in anime. Not your usual lazy school setting, and that's a plus from me.

Technical: 7/10
Personal: 7.5/10
This time my personal rating is slightly above because of the setting itself (different planets). And like I said, it's pretty solid entertainment, and the level was the same in the OVAs and TV series.

Strike Witches (first)

Some controversial material here. At first I thought it was quite offensive to look, and be shown, that *cough* material. After a while I simply said to myself "GET THE **** OVER IT AND ENJOY THE THING". And that's what I did. It was a pretty good show after all, but rather slow in the beginning. Although when they start touching the plot (more contact with the Neuroi, and the "type" of Neuroi, if you get it) it becomes much more interesting, and much less slice-of-life-ish.

After all, season 1 was enjoyable and got me wanting more. I've already caught up to episode 4 at Crunchy, and am willing to watch the OVA (which is most likely composed of pure fanservice and slice-of-life, I bet).

Technical: 6/10
Personal: 5/10
Personal slightly below this time because of the much unneeded crotch shots. If you're trying to pass characters as innocent, then don't sexualize them!

Back