Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Bleach Series 3 boxset 6/10
Gotta say I was a little letdown by this series, considering it's seen as the last of the decent Bleach storylines. I did enjoy the 'important parts' of the story but there was a hell of a lot of filler type stuff, especially in the middle, which kinda took away from the suspence of things. It may be one that I watch again due to watching it in parts over several weeks, I prefer to watch a series over a few days if I can.

Bleach Movie: Memories of nobody 8/10
An enjoyable movie, nothing too spectacular but a solid Bleach movie.

Shigurui: 6/10

A tournament. Stomach removal. Cripple match. Flashback. Irako breaks Fujuki's fingers. Irako gets accepted as a pupil. Irako has sex with a random girl (underage?). Irako plans to have sex with Mie to move up in the world. Kogan has a feel of his daughters breasts and vagina, declaring "She's ready." afterwards. Fujiki and Irako allow two enemies to violate them anally in order to trap them. Irako has sex with a local whore to get her to kill Kogan; the master of his sword school and father of Mie. Fission Mailed. Fukiki watches on as Irako is ordered to rape Mie; his 'love interest'. Fujiki has fun beating the **** out of Irako, his rival, after he falls into a trap set by Kogan. Others have fun burning his balls. Kogan has fun slicing his sword across Irako's eyes. Timeskip. In order for a steady transition, a random girl getting strangled to death was shown prior to the story resuming. Irako comes back and starts killing Kogan pupils. Irako covers his fist and then unleashes it; removing peoples heads with his illogical super saiyan strength. Everyone but Fujiki, Mie and another teacher from the Kogan school die by Irako's hand. The end; the focus never switched back to the present, the story was never concluded.

(FYI, Justpa has a slightly better review on the site he reviews for. Or you could read any decent 5-6/10 review out there.)

School Rumble: 8.5-9/10

A show about a dense guy called Harima chasing after an even more dense girl called Tenma, who in turn is chasing after a possible alien whose only love is curry. (It's about the blind chasing the blind, in short.) Plenty of misunderstandings ensue, usually involving Harima managing to get close to every other girl - even confessing his love to the 'rich girl', Eri, by accident. He also revealed himself to Eri in the nude by accident (twice), and followed that up by grabbing her and putting his hand over her mouth to stop her screaming. This, as you might've guessed, impressed her.

As far as school comedies carried by a neverending series of misunderstandings involving insanely likeable characters go, School Rumble is the best of the best. The JP voice acting is top notch, with every character type - ranging from a stoic girl to a tomboy - having seemingly perfect voices. It's a must watch for anyone depressed - even if you never laugh out loud, like myself.

Hurry up a release a cheapo S2 set, Funi!

Trigun - Complete series 8/10
A fun and enjoyable series. It had been sitting in my collection without being watched for a while now and I only managed to start watching it about a week ago. I thought the early episodes weren't all that great but this slowly built into a great anime series. It became one of those series where I was sadly counting down each episode until the end. It pretty much has a bit of everything. A highly recommended series but you need to give it time to build on you.

Aion said:
School Rumble: 8.5-9/10

A show about a dense guy called Harima chasing after an even more dense girl called Tenma, who in turn is chasing after a possible alien whose only love is curry. (It's about the blind chasing the blind, in short.) Plenty of misunderstandings ensue, usually involving Harima managing to get close to every other girl - even confessing his love to the 'rich girl', Eri, by accident. He also revealed himself to Eri in the nude by accident (twice), and followed that up by grabbing her and putting his hand over her mouth to stop her screaming. This, as you might've guessed, impressed her.

As far as school comedies carried by a neverending series of misunderstandings involving insanely likeable characters go, School Rumble is the best of the best. The JP voice acting is top notch, with every character type - ranging from a stoic girl to a tomboy - having seemingly perfect voices. It's a must watch for anyone depressed - even if you never laugh out loud, like myself.

Hurry up a release a cheapo S2 set, Funi!
I'm not depressed, but school rumble was a very good series.
MY favourite story arc must be the beard one.

Eri and Harima relationship is hilarious, at some point I even think that Harima should just ditch Tenma and keep Eri, but that's not happening.

And I'm buying season 2 in the next expo, possibly.

Yuvie said:
Trigun - Complete series 8/10
A fun and enjoyable series. It had been sitting in my collection without being watched for a while now and I only managed to start watching it about a week ago. I thought the early episodes weren't all that great but this slowly built into a great anime series. It became one of those series where I was sadly counting down each episode until the end. It pretty much has a bit of everything. A highly recommended series but you need to give it time to build on you.
I think that trigun starts okay (ish) with comedy + action mixture, but little content. Like you point it yourself, the story just gets better and better, specially after he main villain appears.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Season 2 - 8/10

episode 1, great, sigh arc (eps 10-14) awesome

e8 - if you ignore episodes 4-8 of this arc, it would have been a 9 or 10, sadly I cant, having watched them!

other than E8 being 5-6 episodes longer than it should have been, I thought season 2 was great, maybe not season 1, but still very, very good

I'd like Eri and Harima to get together, too. They have a chemistry, where as Harima and Tenma have nothing. But it doesn't really matter, SR being a comedy first and foremost and romance being a distant second.

I want S2 but I'm also aware it won't be as good as the first series. All of the main cast were introduced in S1, and the jokes aren't going to be as funny now that the quirks of each character have been made fun of already. Jokes getting reused and the jokes not being as funny is more than likely why there isn't a S3, there being an OVA that jumps forward in time and covers the end released instead.

Aion said:
I'd like Eri and Harima to get together, too.
Even though I know it's not gonna happen, I keep on expeting it to. It adds to the enjoyment of the show, I think.

Aion said:
I want S2 but I'm also aware it won't be as good as the first series. All of the main cast were introduced in S1, and the jokes aren't going to be as funny now that the quirks of each character have been made fun of already. Jokes getting reused and the jokes not being as funny is more than likely why there isn't a S3, there being an OVA that jumps forward in time and covers the end released instead.
The ratings for both season seems to be consistent in ANN and MAL, so hopefully, the new series brings some goodness not related to the characters quirks. The OTT situations can still happen even though we already know the characters now. How they explore it, it's a commplete different story though.

Dogs: Bullets & Carnage 1-4

There was a point at the start of these OVA’s where I thought they were going to be really good.

Mihai, an aging mafia hitman returns to his home town - a response to his employer being killed by an old protégé, Ian. Over the course of the first episode a potentially complex and compelling relationship between student and teacher begins to be established. My feeling was that this would be the focus of the whole OVA series as it felt like a storyline that could run for several episodes.

This wasn’t the case though: the story between the two is abruptly resolved within the space of 15 minutes. Consequently, I felt slightly cheated by this – however it may actually be the best episode of entire OVA series.

In a nutshell, each episode of Dogs features a different character with a short story revolving around them. All are somehow connected to the criminal underworld and on occasion, characters from other episodes make an appearance.

The problem with this lies in the series’ runtime. It’s not as if a good yarn can’t be told within fifteen short minutes, but Dogs either feels rushed and lacking in development or simply leaves us hanging with a pile of loose ends that amount to nothing. While it’s predominantly in the crime genre at first, it attempts to integrate sci-fi elements later which jar horribly with the tone and style of earlier instalments.

I wouldn’t have minded the clumsy narrative so much though had there been any decent action, however this is sadly another area Dogs trips up on. The artwork and character designs are pleasing enough, being reminiscent in style to much of Madhouse’s work. The animation itself though resorts to short cuts and static images at nearly every turn: henchmen stand around waiting to be shot, gunfights are cut short by fadeouts , while most movement seems rigid and unnatural.

Ultimately, how good or bad I consider Dogs to be hinges on my leniency accepting it to be a set of origin stories leading into a larger story. Looking into it, the OVA only adapts the one off manga series which had a sequel featuring a long narrative involving the established characters. As a starting point for something better, I feel it to be unfair dismissing Dogs entirely. All the same, as a standalone set of self contained episodes it’s a disappointment on most levels.

Still, points for the use of hilarious nonsensical engrish. Unintentional as it may be I got a few laughs, who can keep a straight face to bold lines like "**** up, gentlemen!"

5/10

Noir The complete series 10/10
A perfect series from start to finish,truly a series to watch again .The two lead characters Mirielle and Kiriku are well rounded and really compliment each other.I think that labelling this a girls with guns show really does this show a disservice.Mirielle is a professional hit woman who is very good at her job and Kiriku altough technically a girl is anything but and they really made you empathise with them despite what they do for a living(any one who can use variously ,the stem off a pair of glasses,an id card,a tie,a piece of a toy bus and a desert fork as lethal weapons has to be feared and respected).
The music is another highlight,it's rare nowadays to find a anime show where the music both compliments and enhances the show(as I'm writing this I'm listing to Kiriku's theme Canta per me).Exquiste.The action set pieces are well executed and the finale unlike so many series does not disappoint.

Noein The Complete series 6.5/10
How to some up Noein in one word ,confused.Both for me the viewer and partly I think for the makers of the series.I not sure if they really knew were they were going with the series.The sci-fi elements specifically when the characters started talking about other dimensions,multi-universes,paralell universes and exotic particles(I think the makers were trying to be complex just for the sake of it) sometimes made my head hurt whereas the more mundane aspects of the show the interactions between Yuu and Haruka and the rest of their friends were much more enjoyable miho was one of my favourites.The part were Yuu and Haruka's mother's meet up again and get plastered was absolutely priceless.

Basilisk The complete series 7/10
Roughly Romeo & Juilet for ninja's.Had to say that my sympathies really lay with the Kouga clan ninja's rather than the Iga's from the get go.Just seemed able to empathise with them more as they seemed more human if you could use that word.The character designs and animation is very good and I would probably have scored this higher only I knew from the first few minutes of the first episode how it was all going to pan out and sometimes it's nice to be suprised at the end.

009-1 the complete series 2.5/10
Even now I find myself wondering why I paid money for this even if it was cheap .The animation deliberate or not is crap ,the male characters are truly dreadful(I suppose to make the female ones look better).My main bone of contention though is with the main protagionist of the show Mylene Hoffmann who whether by design or not is protrayed as cold ,aloof,unfeeling and downright heartless(now most of you will say well that's what a spy is supposed to be to do their job and normally you would be right)and I just could not drag up a single piece of emotion for this character and by episode 3 was hoping someone would kill her.

Urzu seven said:
he sci-fi elements specifically when the characters started talking about other dimensions,multi-universes,paralell universes and exotic particles(I think the makers were trying to be complex just for the sake of it
Complex, and yet both mathematically and metaphysically ridiculous. I lasted all of one-and-a-half episodes of such a series.

Wildcard said:
Dogs: Bullets & Carnage 1-4
5/10

Yeah, I'm with you on that one, although really I couldn't even muster up the effort to watch past episode one. It's not that there's anything especially terrible about the series, there's just nothing to make it stand out. It just feels like every aspect of it has already been done better elsewhere.

Urzu seven said:
Noir The complete series 10/10
A perfect series from start to finish,truly a series to watch again .The two lead characters Mirielle and Kiriku are well rounded and really compliment each other.I think that labelling this a girls with guns show really does this show a disservice.Mirielle is a professional hit woman who is very good at her job and Kiriku altough technically a girl is anything but and they really made you empathise with them despite what they do for a living(any one who can use variously ,the stem off a pair of glasses,an id card,a tie,a piece of a toy bus and a desert fork as lethal weapons has to be feared and respected).
The music is another highlight,it's rare nowadays to find a anime show where the music both compliments and enhances the show(as I'm writing this I'm listing to Kiriku's theme Canta per me).Exquiste.The action set pieces are well executed and the finale unlike so many series does not disappoint.
Noir is a great series. If you rated it 10/10, you might like El cazador de la bruja y Madlax.
They are not sequels per se, but they are sister series.

I've enjoyed Madlax a lot, but I haven't seen El cazador yet to comment on it.

Noir is probably the best of the girls with guns titles and Madlax is pretty good also. I will have to track down El Cazador. Whatever you do avoid Najica Blitz Tactics.

Dracos said:
Noir is probably the best of the girls with guns titles and Madlax is pretty good also. I will have to track down El Cazador. Whatever you do avoid Najica Blitz Tactics.
At some point I tried to count how many pantyshots they had in that show. I've quit when I've got to over 9 thousand! =D

Fruits Basket Complete Series 9/10
To start with, this series was a winner because I happened to find the official UK release boxset at a car boot for £2 so you can't go wrong.

Secondly, I see myself as a man's man, grrr! So my first instincts were to shrug this off as a girly anime (which it probably is) but don't judge a book by it's cover. I actually really enjoyed this series. It was just completely different and not as serious as the anime I tend to find myself enjoying. It does have a tendency to throw you into all kinds of emotions but still remains fairly light-hearted from start to finish. I guess more than anything, this series makes you appreciate life and those you share that life with. I kinda related to Kyo and sided with him from the beginning, so the last two episodes were fitting and I really enjoyed his 'major' role in those later episodes. If I had to find a flaw, I'd probably say that the ending wasn't all that great but hey that's what you get with a lot of these manga adapted animes.

I wouldn't have given this series a chance in other cirumstances so I'm kinda glad I found it so cheap. It certainly opens me up to other anime that I'd consider 'not my cup of tea'.

Back