Rant time....Naruto style

ZAFF

Kiznaiver
Not a large rant, just want a few other opinions.

What is it with naruto I find it mind numbingly boring and way too aimed towards kids. Yet yesterday at the London Expo everybody and their great uncles were out in Naruto cosplay with those headbands on. Is it me just being weird and not being able to get into it at all or is this sereis just overated.

As I said not much of a rant just want a few opinions.

I agree from what i have seen so far i do think that the show is overrated. I did try and give it a chance but found the series very slow. Although i hear the uncut dvd does make for better viewing.

I'd say Naruto was directed more towards kids, however it is one of those shows that has a lot background, thought in it and well, loads of things I can't put my finger on, whereas I don't like to a degree where I wait weekly for each episode, its just fun in a while to watch it.

I ama Naruto fan and love the series (although the fillers are really getting on my nerves), I love the growth of the character and although this is currently stunted due tot he fillers when the series picks up again and he goes in search of sasake I can see it becoming more violent and Naruto will get some more depth.

But then again I like pokemon too

It's a mainstream family anime about kids trying to kill each other. It has ninja, giant frogs and is very action-packed once you get into the story. Some of the animation of later fights rivals that of Cowboy Bebop's fluidic realism. Episode 133 is a high point of fighting anime full stop. It inspires passion in a lot of viewers because the characters are wonderful, each personality has a (often tragic) history and we root for them throughout the story.

As far as hype goes - it isn't the greatest anime of all time, it is simply the most accessible. Everyone finds a character to love; personally, I think Rock Lee (aka Bruce Lee) is awesome.

I think if you watch Naruto expecting to be blown away, you'll be disappointed. It is simply a very well executed fighting anime that kids and adults can enjoy. It takes 10 to 15 episodes to really get moving, but after that there is an almost spotless run of tense, addicting and exciting action anime with really colorful and inventive situations. On go YouTube and search for Rock Lee or Orochimaru or Gaara, you'll understand why people love Naruto after seeing these characters in action.

I used to like never call it a favourite but with all these fillers it's gone down hill.

At first it's liveable plot seems ok then they redo the plot agian and agian and agian and then they do it agian.

Then they do a clip show just to make sure you don't have a pulse left.

Good things about Naruto:
Fight scenes
Backstory. [cliché.]
Characters. [Except the females, they all too... not girl-like, except Kurenai]
Emotional points. [Which pop up again and again some time in the series. Examples being Zabuza and Haku dying and the Third Hokage funeral and not to mention the most recent in the manga [Don't read if you don't read the manga guys. Asuma dying and his final words to his team.

Bad things:
WAY too many flashbacks.
Horribly over-rated the way people think it's godly. [Not on this forum, but others and it wasn't Naruto-fan.]
Characters are too emotional for their own good.
Naruto lacking any good Ninja abilities and even with training in the 2 year time skip with Jiraiya still only getting a few new moves and what's going to be most likely the spirit bomb of Rasengan's.

Don't read the last part if you don't read the manga. I guess. Anyway, I'm ok with Naruto, but still it's heavily over-rated.

Last edited by a moderator:
If people like it then let them. I you don't like it yourself then don't watch.

I don't mind it, it's fun and nice to watch with your brain turned off. I put it in the same anime bracket as Bleach and Full Metal Alchemist. The intended audiences of these shows are pretty much exactly the same (Bleach and Naruto are are even published in the same comic) but I reckon a couple of people probably wouldn't like the idea of them being as equal shows.

Naruto's fine in my opinion, it's just the hype what spoils it for cynics.

Watch the Gaara vs Rock Lee fight for intense, one of my all time fave eps, and the way it ends is something I have to say I never saw coming coming.

After seeing up to the filler arcs I would say the first arc(the one with the guy who looks like a girl, can't remember the name) is the best. With all the stupid clips of things that just happened and 5 minute recaps at the start of each episode removed it's probably the only the story that wasn't dragged out to the complete point of stupidity. It reached a climax and really shined in the last few episodes of that arc. I might make an edit of it on Adobe Premiere with all the crap cut out so I can enjoy it more.

The chunin exam was dire. I'm talking about the 50 something episodes of the survivor rounds and the like.

I've only seen the episodes shown on Jetix so far, but i've come to the conclusion that, with the huge recap you get at the start of each episode, you could probably miss watching all the odd numbered episodes and still have a perfectly coherent series. :twisted:

It's a mainstream anime, the most mainstream anime right now (probably), and with popularity comes at least a handful of people who are going to think it's overrated, regardless of the quality of the show. Happens with everything.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
The chunin exam was dire. I'm talking about the 50 something episodes of the survivor rounds and the like.

You are aware that saying that to hardcore Naruto fans will get you flamed, badly.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
After seeing up to the filler arcs I would say the first arc(the one with the guy who looks like a girl, can't remember the name) is the best. quote]

Its also one of the first times you get an idea of how powerful Naruto is, he goes demon-fox and kicks his/her ass big time when he sees Sasake get injured

Paul - Can I just say I love the first line of your comment, that is so true, can't believe no-one has said that before.

My own thoughts: I was impressed by the number of cosplayers in Naruto style at this years Expo. Frankly, I thought it was pretty cool - anything that can get kids off Playstation 2 long enough can't be a bad thing, even if it means dressing up as Ninja kids.

I was a bit dismissive of Naruto at first, especially with the hype. But when you watch it, the characters have so much depth, and bad stuff happens and you know what, rather than moaning about it, they do stuff about it. At first I thought Naruto was a brat. But now... he's a likeable brat.

I was watching an episode a while back and Naruto was doing one of his speeches, you know, the one where he says he has a dream and he's gonna be a Hokage and everyone will have to respect him. And my mum heard his little speech and then said to me, I should be more like Naruto.

About believing in your dreams, And not giving up, no matter what. So yeah, even M.G can learn a few things from a little ninja brat.

M.G xx

Rukario said:
WTFDaveMustaine said:

You are aware that saying that to hardcore Naruto fans will get you flamed, badly.
That's popular?? At first I thought it was the filler arcs everyone was badmouthing.

Really? Wow, that seems really odd. I was skipping through those arena fights like crazy. The only glipse of light were the occasional backstory parts.

The Gaara vs Rock Lee fight is meant to be the highlight of the series, peak of excellence. It's one of the few I really enjoyed.

Back