RahXephon Vs Neon Genesis Evangelion!

Hovis!

Vampire Ninja
Talk about opening up a can of worms!

But its an interesting question. What do peeps prefer, RahXephon or Neon Genesis Evangelion?

I opt for the former. Why?

I concede it might not be as "profound" as NGE, but RahXephon does compensate by still having a strong convoluted story mixed with some stunning - STUNNING - animation and artwork.

I suppose I like it as much as I do because it has a great blend of nostalgic mech show appeal and modern, "mature" (there's that word again!) characterisations and story telling. In my opinion, of course!

By the way, does the movie version work in the same way Macross Pus: The Movie did?

Thanks.

:D

All I can say is a good job you started a topic like that here, as you may get some sensible responses :wink:

I like the copncepts of both anime and wouldn't personally compare or favouritise! I still wish I'd never desperately searched for volume 13 of the video of NGE for over a year :lol: but then I bought the VCDs anyway!!

This is a tough one for me since both are big personal favourites but thinking about it, Evangelion has to come out on top.

RahXephon is a much more straight forward action & romance mecha story. It comes across as a carefully planned and well executed anime, but as such, doesn't feel as implusive or human as Evangelion.

Evangelion takes more chances with it's plot and develops an amazingly gritty, realistic psychological side to it's characters. It gets better everytime I go back to watch it.

Finally, I would suggest Evangelion edges out RahXephon for pure aesthetic value. In terms of instantly classic epic spectacle, Evangelion easily matches Akira. Though RahXephon certainly has it's moments too, especially the tragic events of episode 19.

I went through a period of preferring RahXephon to Evangelion, but over the last 6 or so months, I've started to realize just how important Evangelion is. RahXephon is a beautifully told love story but almost everything about Evangelion is different, special and frequently genius.

I'm a sucker for romance, so RahXephon wins.

Evangelion is a huge series, and it probably is the better of the two from a technical standpoint, but I just love the RahXephon characters. In Evangelion, they were really just a psychological case study, in RahXephon they're more human.

Really interesting reading those replies. I suppose the best compromise is to say between them its to close to call. :wink: :D

By the way, has anyone read a trilogy of books under the banner "His Dark Materials" trilogy by Philip Pullman? Reason I ask is after reading them and watching NGE there are certain similarities between themes and character relationships that make me wonder if one didn't have an influence (to some degree) over the other.

Thought I'd mention that. :D

Paul said:
I went through a period of preferring RahXephon to Evangelion, but over the last 6 or so months, I've started to realize just how important Evangelion is. RahXephon is a beautifully told love story but almost everything about Evangelion is different, special and frequently genius.

I think your right there. I think RahXephon is slightly more orthodox (slightly), but Evangelion was like nothing I've seen before.

I mean, the Angels were creations that could only be born out of somewhere like Japan, and the "mechs" were completely different (before and after).

Hovis! said:
By the way, has anyone read a trilogy of books under the banner "His Dark Materials" trilogy by Philip Pullman? Reason I ask is after reading them and watching NGE there are certain similarities between themes and character relationships that make me wonder if one didn't have an influence (to some degree) over the other.

Funny you should say that, I've been reading this trilogy since Christmas Day and am nearing the end of The Amber Spyglass. Great books with some dark themes, especially concerning the implications of religion.

I can definently see the connections with relationships between HDM and Evangelion; estranged, unloving fathers spring to mind ;)

It has to be evangelion for me too. Evangelion is one of the reasons im such a bi fan of anime these days. RahXephon is a very very good serie but evangelion was one of the frist of its genre and will be hard to top.

Paul said:
Hovis! said:

Funny you should say that, I've been reading this trilogy since Christmas Day and am nearing the end of The Amber Spyglass. Great books with some dark themes, especially concerning the implications of religion.

I can definently see the connections with relationships between HDM and Evangelion; estranged, unloving fathers spring to mind ;)

so i wasn't the only one who noticed...i'm part way through the amber spyglass for the second time, and it's absolutely spellbinding. this is the sort of story that would really do well as an anime-style film imho. there are definitely similarities between HDM and NGE (the biblical references and parent/child relationships), but i think Pullman was more influenced by 'Paradise Lost' if i remember correctly.

Concrete badger said:
Paul said:
Hovis! said:

so i wasn't the only one who noticed...i'm part way through the amber spyglass for the second time, and it's absolutely spellbinding. this is the sort of story that would really do well as an anime-style film imho. there are definitely similarities between HDM and NGE (the biblical references and parent/child relationships), but i think Pullman was more influenced by 'Paradise Lost' if i remember correctly.

Not to mention the scientist Richard Dawkins. :D

*looks up in surprise* the evolution thing you mean? i never thought of that before...i guess the inspiration for the wheeled animals had to come from somewhere!

and just to be awkward will throw in the third option - Nadesico!
Much better series than rahxephon or eva (eva damned overrated - i liked it but it isnt the be all end all of mecha shows). Nadesico was funny, the characters were not even half as annoying in eva. the music was boss, and it had ruri ruri. shes so cute.

Concrete badger said:
*looks up in surprise* the evolution thing you mean? i never thought of that before...i guess the inspiration for the wheeled animals had to come from somewhere!

:D

Nah, I mean more of his philosophy side of things. He's the kind of guy who would lap Evangelion up, provided he got around to watching it (though he might of already? Who knows?). :D :wink:

otaku_kei said:
and just to be awkward will throw in the third option - Nadesico!
Much better series than rahxephon or eva (eva damned overrated - i liked it but it isnt the be all end all of mecha shows). Nadesico was funny, the characters were not even half as annoying in eva. the music was boss, and it had ruri ruri. shes so cute.

Now the cat is amongst the pigeons (sorry for the poor way of putting it)!

Hmm. Wish amazon hadn't screwed upi my order the l would have been able to speak more about Rahxephon, as l would have watched up until the last DVD.
Anyway, from what l've seen of all three series, all of Eva +movies, Rahxephon 1-3 DVD + 2/3 Manga, and all of Nadesico series, the order would be Rahxephon, Eva then Nadesico ( though all would be high up in my entire collection rating). And how they would rate after l've finished Rahxephon may be very different as Nadesico would have been top until l saw the last epsiode.
Best way l can describe them is to use food analogies. Rahxephon is good simple food, meat and two veg, bangers and mash. Nothing spectacular, but what you could eat again and again.
Eva was like eating a type of food you've never had before. Some of it is vaguely familiar and eadible, some is like nothing you've ever had before and difficult to swallow until you have become acustomed, and other stuff you just don't like.
Nadesico was like a cinema snack pack, hot dog, popcorn and a drink. Great for stuffing you face while doing some thing else, but at the end not really enough.

This probably makes no sense to you, but after 1/2 a bottle of wine it makes sense to me.
Now l'm hungry... of to raid the fridge.

Both really good series, and it's tough to choose, but I'd have to go with RahXephon. I feel the characters in that show are better. I didn't like the characters in NGE as much. Plus I liked the way it was based around a re-interpreteation of Mayan beliefs about the end of the world. Of course, NGE was based around a re-interpretation of Christian beliefs about the end of the world. That just comes down to pure personal preference I guess.

I also think this is the first RX vs NGE thread I've been in that hasn't automatically degenerated into a flame war. :lol:

Anonymous said:
I also think this is the first RX vs NGE thread I've been in that hasn't automatically degenerated into a flame war. :lol:

That's because my pacifist essence has spilt on to the thread and extinguished all the flames of hate. Or something like that. :D :D :D :D

hopeful_monster said:
Hmm. Wish amazon hadn't screwed upi my order the l would have been able to speak more about Rahxephon, as l would have watched up until the last DVD.
Anyway, from what l've seen of all three series, all of Eva +movies, Rahxephon 1-3 DVD + 2/3 Manga, and all of Nadesico series, the order would be Rahxephon, Eva then Nadesico ( though all would be high up in my entire collection rating). And how they would rate after l've finished Rahxephon may be very different as Nadesico would have been top until l saw the last epsiode.
Best way l can describe them is to use food analogies. Rahxephon is good simple food, meat and two veg, bangers and mash. Nothing spectacular, but what you could eat again and again.
Eva was like eating a type of food you've never had before. Some of it is vaguely familiar and eadible, some is like nothing you've ever had before and difficult to swallow until you have become acustomed, and other stuff you just don't like.
Nadesico was like a cinema snack pack, hot dog, popcorn and a drink. Great for stuffing you face while doing some thing else, but at the end not really enough.

This probably makes no sense to you, but after 1/2 a bottle of wine it makes sense to me.
Now l'm hungry... of to raid the fridge.

I enjoyed reading your way of interpretating the three series. :D

Back