Qur'an quoting anime incites Islamic religious anger

I can kinda see their point but as everyone else has said, its not exactly pulling their faith through the wringer or anything, its sad that some members of Islam jump on any small slight, im sure people arent going to make the connection that anyone whos read the Qu'ran are evil from a fictional anime for God's sake.

Some members of the Islamic faith incredibly touchy (like any religion) when it comes to any part of their faith being portrayed - its all a part of the whole multi-cultural society/world we have going here though so i suppose its a case of suck it up! :p

Its always hard trying to draw that line between freedom of speech and broaching on other people's opinion but tis kind of unfair to compare Islam to other more tolerant (at least in ridicule) religions. After all it is a religion, its not a public opinion contest. So long as they dont take it too far i dont care what anyone believes.

Another example of a stupid minority giving their faith a bad name. I'd wager 99% of muslims are indeed as peaceful and tolerant as anyone, and are utterly nonplussed over this fuss over nothing.

I'm sure I'll offend a lot of people in saying this but organised religion as a whole irritates the hell out of me. If you're going to follow a doctrine that says everyone who disagrees with you is wrong and that you should be offended over every little thing, you should be prepared to encounter a lot of occasions when you are indeed offended or in disagreement. You know what? people who force their views onto other people offend ME.

Excuse the rant but I find that overly religious people (of any faith, I might add) have a lot of superiority and little common sense or tolerance for alternative views. We should be free to believe what we like but that freedom extends to reserving the right to not believe in certain things too.

Martin said:
Another example of a stupid minority giving their faith a bad name. I'd wager 99% of muslims are indeed as peaceful and tolerant as anyone, and are utterly nonplussed over this fuss over nothing.

(more words)

Wow, i never thought judging from some of the prior comments in this topic that there would be a post i could agree with. The sheer ignorance of some people here is mind boggling. "wow dude i hate muslims, they're always making a big deal out of things" just like any religion you have people who will go very far about things that don't matter.
How many times has an extremist "christian" wigged out in places (america) and gone on a spree. You don't say "oh man, christians are crazy murderers" Crusades anyone? The catholic church likes to seem all-knowing, "don't allow people to experiment that could save peoples lives because that would be going against the will of God". It is very worrying for me to see religious people in high places of power in government, basing arguments on (IMO) works of fiction from thousands of years ago.
I am not religious myself but it doesn't bother me people having faith, it's up to them. In fact the majority of believers (whatever they believe in) tend to have stronger morals. It does annoy me when people pass judgement over a whole religion beacause of a minority of followers, i have a muslim friend who i have known for nearly seven years and can say he experienes no murderous mood swings when I don't agree with what he says even if i am a heathen.

in the end though, you can proof read and research all you want, you'll still likely insult someone somehow.

Just seems nowedays it's alot easier to be insulted if your from the middle east for some reason

This **** has happened before too, in the FMA manga Greed is held on a cross and they turned it into a rock in the Viz manga. Why hasn't no one complained and raped the **** out of EVA yet? I want justice.

I'm also a muslim and I agree^

When I saw that episode a few years ago I thought I'll give them the benefit of the doubt...

But I have no hard feelings torwards the producers it was a mistake, Even now I still read the Jojo manga.

btw heres the manga version of the scene:
1211501655616eo7.jpg

You know, what strikes me is that they kick up a fuss and say that it shows them in a bad light, but surely what shows them in a bad light is the fuss they kick up. :eek:

I still think that the best line regarding religion is one from 'Red Dwarf' - Religion is just an excuse to be really ****** to one another.

Seriously, how many people have been imprissoned, tortured and/or killed purly because of what they believe?

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against anyone that wishes to worship whomever/whatever they want, just aslong as that worship doesn't cause harm to anybody.

I consider myself religious, and I don't mind the Bible being misrepresented or quoted out of context or whatever for artistic purposes. However, far too often I get the feeling the sole purpose of some opinions or expressions is to cause offense. I am quite open-minded, and I do take opposing arguments into account before anyone starts having a go at me.

Yeah extremists are annoying, but it's not as if it's 100% their fault.
Martin said:
I'm sure I'll offend a lot of people in saying this but organised religion as a whole irritates the hell out of me. If you're going to follow a doctrine that says everyone who disagrees with you is wrong and that you should be offended over every little thing, you should be prepared to encounter a lot of occasions when you are indeed offended or in disagreement.
I could say the same for hardcore atheists. "OH NOES! SOMEONE TAUGHT CREATIONISM IN SCHOOL!" It may go against the curriculum, but damn, some people need to chill.

Wait a second here. Are we actually sure that there has been any angry reaction from muslims? There seems to be a general trend of westerners pointing to things like this and then deciding that they've caused widespread outrage among muslims.

Come on. Are we really supposed to believe that there are fundementalist muslims watching all new anime to see if there is anything offensive to Islam. For goodness sake, there was an entire South Park episode where Mohammed was a character. Where were the riots over that?

Also in regards to the deaths during the cartoon "riots". They were almost entirely Afghans who protested against the Afghan police and got shot. Not westerners being attacked by muslims. I think it's more likely they were attacking the Afghan police over local issues and using the cartoons as a bandwagon otherwise why attack their own police at all?

or maybe it's the media telling they attacked the police over a cartoon so we can think "Oh, these muppets!" or something like that....

Sadly enough, I've seen a research back home where more than 40% of the people said they completely believe in what media tells them. Sometimes conspiration theories seem so belieavable =)

chaos said:
or maybe it's the media telling they attacked the police over a cartoon so we can think "Oh, these muppets!" or something like that....

It's a similar situation when you hear about violent protests in Pakistan over some supposed insult to Islam by the West. There are violent protests in Pakistan everyday. These incidents aren't the cause of the violent protests they just get adopted as a theme to make the participants more angry. The next day the theme will be the arrest of some politician by the government or some other secular issue.

Ark said:
Where were the riots over that?
Apparently they were forced to remove Muhammed from an episode.

On April 13, 2006, Comedy Central issued a statement which appears to confirm that the network did prohibit the show's creators from airing an image of Muhammad. The statement reads, "In light of recent world events, we feel we made the right decision".

The stange thing that in retalliation they added jesus crapping on the American flag to the episode which didn't get censored...

The final scene, where the terrorists broadcast an anti-American film (which includes an image of Jesus Christ defecating on an American flag), serves to illustrate the hypocrisy of the censorship decision. It raises the question, "Why is this acceptable to air, when an image of Muhammad, 'just standing there, looking normal', is not?"

Trey Parker and Matt Stone set out and knew they wouldn't be allowed to show the scene, They removed the scene themselves (after CC telling them, they should, of course.). At the end of the episode prior to the episode where Muhammed was to be aired they said "Or will the network wuss out" or something.

Sy said:
Muhammed was shown in the episode anyway during the opening credits. :p

In the episode with the Superfriends I've seen he's there during the whole thing.

In the case you're refering to anyway it was a case of self censorship not a response to protests.

I don't watch South park - I feel that they cross the line more than often. But on the other hand my protest is simply not watching them are all or supporting them in any way.

Maxon said:
I could say the same for hardcore atheists. "OH NOES! SOMEONE TAUGHT CREATIONISM IN SCHOOL!" It may go against the curriculum, but damn, some people need to chill.

It depends whether it is taught in the context of religious theory or as scientific fact, the former being perfectly acceptable, but the latter being damn crazy.

I think that all religious, especially Islam, need to realise that they do not have the right to not be offended. In fact, they need to take note of the tolerance the western world has for their customs, & be tolerant of our ways in return.

Back