Qur'an quoting anime incites Islamic religious anger

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
A scene from the sixth episode ("The Mist of Vengeance") of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure anime <a href="http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-05-22/jojo-anime-manga-sales-halted-due-to-islamic-images">has provoked angry responses</a> from Arab and Islamic communities, so much so that Japanese publisher Shueisha has been <a href="http://www.shueisha.co.jp/info/index_e.html">forced to publish</a> a (English) letter of apology on its website, explaining its position on the so-called offensive material.

The scene in question depicts the villainous character Dio reading text from the Qur'an, the central religious text of Islam, shortly before talking about how he intends to murder the hero of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Jotaro Kujo. This has been construed by many Arab and Islamic peoples as <em>"Japan insulting the Qur'an"</em> and that, essentially, the scene "<em>depicts Muslims as terrorists.</em>"

In response, Shueisha has explained that the Qur'an text quoted in the sixth episode was used by mistake, as the artists working on the scene in question "could not read a single word of Arabic". As a result of all this, Shueisha has already completely halted all worldwide distribution of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure anime and manga (including in the United States) and won't be releasing newer copies without removing the offending images, concluding that "<em>These incidents have made us more aware of our responsibility to the worldwide audience that enjoys our animation.</em>"

Lupus Inu said:
Aww mayn, this is ********, religion once again ruining another series and this is one that is awesome too.
Maybe, but the people in charge and making this anime should really proof-read and properly translate things to each other. This was neglect.

Chaz said:
Lupus Inu said:
Aww mayn, this is ********, religion once again ruining another series and this is one that is awesome too.
Maybe, but the people in charge and making this anime should really proof-read and properly translate things to each other. This was neglect.
Maybe so, But what does it matter if a villain is reading the Qur'an. Thousands read from the bible and the catholic/Christians don't go up in flames about it. Its not offensive, and shouldn't be called so. ;/

After reading the article i see were the muslims come from but i'm not going to brand the writers are some sort of racist.
The quran was simply to add some depth to the villan.
But people need to stop giving in every time some muslims get pissed because something does not "POTENTIALLY" show them in a good light.

Chaz said:
Lupus Inu said:
Yeah, but it's not exactly unheard of for Japanese to be less than perfectly attentive when it comes to incorporating other cultures or faiths into anime. Eva, anyone?

I would've said that the larger issue here... is that it's stupid. It just ends up making muslims look bad, and they really don't need that at the moment.

Stupid. Basically, they should be worrying about other things, not whether a Japanese person, writing in English, in a comic book, mis-translated a part to be potentially bad.

No offense, but don't they have better things to do? I mean, there is a lot more worse things happening. People are being blamed, bullied, stabbed, etc. because of racism and religions. Why doesn't someone go out and stop that, instead of getting angry at a petty thing like this.

It's kind of weird for a start because it's not like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is anything new. The anime was published in Japan during 2001, so it's at least 7 years between then and now that this controversy has suddenly flared up. It's like someone suddenly objecting to Dragonball Z because its depiction of heaven and hell is a joke. 'Stable door, horse bolted' comes to mind. All that aside, sections of every religion all seem to share this lack of understanding/unwillingness to understand satire and an inability to laugh at themselves every now and then, which, I guess, shows how insecure they are.

I always think of this when I see these sort of things.

"Islam is a peaceful religion, and we will kill anyone that says otherwise".

Be careful Dracos. Though this involves Islam, there are idiots in every religion, just as there is good people in each too.

Dracos said:

Amen to that...

But like Paul said, you get idiots in every religion. But this is my experience from a Muslim family (well, my dad's side) in a muslim community because... my family is muslim.

But they are overdramatic and think of nearly everything as a sin, including mistakes. I remember what my mum told me that there is a story about a guy who studied the quran and then wrote a book about it, disagreeing with it.

Now the muslims want to kill him... So Dracos' quote may be harsh, but true.

Islam seriously need to lighten up... Everyone makes mistake. Even the Christians and Jews don't make that big of a deal.

Chaz said:
Lupus Inu said:

I agree it was neglect. But it's hardly the first time. Just see when they try some english words here and there, and don't even get me started with their pronunciation... and english is a way more accessible language which they are supposed to learn at school...
Jubei chan has a scene with a letter supposedly written in portuguese. While the words are really portuguese, there is not meaning to them. and we could go on and on and on...

Dracos said:

I'm not justifying them, but I think you're wrong mate. Why South America is never attacked by terrorist? It's not rich enough, influential enough? If that's so, why Japan is not attacked by terrorists? It's rich and influential. I don't think we know the whole story and I'm not even sure we ever will.

I think fair consideration should be given for religious beliefs, avoiding excessive stereotyping or negative portrayal. But this sort of hair-trigger reaction I find to be both ridiculous and disturbing. Respect of different beliefs is important, but I think it's important that followers of these religions respect the differing views of others too.

I must admit, it angers me sometimes.

We really can't do anything these days without angering islamic people in someway. Why don't they just mind their own business?

Paul said:
Be careful Dracos. Though this involves Islam, there are idiots in every religion, just as there is good people in each too.

I was just highlighting the sort of silly double standards religions have, especially where Islam is involved. We all see these these statements about the religion being peacful from the sensible well adjusted moderates, whilst on the otherhand the ultra-consirvatives want the death penalty for any little thing they think is against the teachings.

chaos said:
Dracos said:

I'm not justifying them, but I think you're wrong mate.

Chaos please be careful in the way you use the word "mate", in the UK the way you used it here is normally the precursor to a fight.

.Wolfie-kun. said:
I must admit, it angers me sometimes.

We really can't do anything these days without angering islamic people in someway. Why don't they just mind their own business?

I guess they would. if not for something called Israel and Iraq...

Well I technically I am a muslim from Pakistan and have read the quran at least three times too, (even though my friends never believe me at first beecuase my ginger and very white skin), and I really don't feel offended but I can say that it kinda does go over the line so I can understand why some muslims are angry by it.

Dracos said:

I have to agree. Islam is ridiculously sensitive (and violent) when it comes to protecting it's image. 100 people actually died in riots because of those Danish cartoons.

The Bible and Christian imagery is gratuitously over-used in anime and other media, but there is no fuss there. How can it be okay to "mis-use" Christian references, but not Islamic ones?

im a muslim and i can understand what they mean. Islam is very protective of its faith and does not want its text/faith/what have you , missused.

its just like 'chaz' mentioned. they should really research and proof read all of this beforehand.

anyone remember the trouble with that 'Zack & Wiki' game for the wii? they used the islamic call to prayer for a scene where these tribal animal like creatures are dancing around a fire. this is clearley offensive and even to me. but shortly capcom removed this before the games release.

Back