Psyren

Arbalest

黒い剣士
Right, i said i was gonna make a topic on this, and so here we go. First off, for those wondering "What is Psyren?" Basically, its one of Shounen Jumps latest serialisations to start up....though ok its now hit just over 2 years old.

Here is the Synopsis courtesy of MAL:

Yoshina Ageha is a high school student who offers to help people with their problems for 10,000 yen. He'll take care of your stalkers, find your lost animal, whatever you want. One day when he's heading home, a nearby pay phone rings, and he picks it up. The only thing he hears however is his own voice echoing. After finding a mysterious card with the word 'Psyren' printed on it, his life suddenly changes as he is drawn into a crazy new world.

It's at 106 chapters now and its still going strong. We're still waiting for an official english release, however if it still goes as strong as it is now, i can see that happening in the near future.

As for discussing chapters as we read them. I'd ask you to use spoiler tags where ever necessary.

At present, i'm adoring this. It has a lot more guts in what it does compared to so many other SJ titles. It's going all out, and its doing it as it should. Personal favourites in terms of characters are Ageha and Amamiya. Both are hella strong characters, and for main characters, thats a great sign, as sometimes its quite easy to spot main characters which are mediocre at best.

SO yeah..let discussion commence.

Loving this series, a lot of strong characters and a great plot. One of the few series involving time travel that doesn't mess itself up.

As far as favourite characters go, I think Ageha and Amamiya are great leads, far better then some currently out there. I mean Ageha isn't afraid to get his hands dirty and generally carries out what he sets put to do, not to mention he's a shounen hero that actually uses his head. I do have a soft spot though for the children of elmore wood and their adult forms in the future, especially Marie and Kyle

@Stuart Says Yes

I still think Oboro may have gotten a core though, i think that's what he's hiding underneath the cloak, although he's also probably hiding a mutation of some kind following what happened.

Wonder if they have Ageha meeting Dholaki before their destined first meeting :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going through my second reading of it now actually, up to chapter 45. There are a few things i caught onto when reading the likes of the first chapter which make more sense now.

Going through it again, the bonds between the characters seems stronger than a lot of other shounen too. Amamiya and Ageha are again, the best two to show on that. Perhaps it was down to the fact that they have been friends for years, but you can see the feelings between the two showing a lot, and i'm positive that just makes them far more stronger.

Ageha is only slightly typical in being a shounen lead in that he does run on emotions as well.

In relation to Oboro: He's interesting as well. His power of cure is an interesting one, but not just that. His fight against one of the 5th star generals men shows he's not as soft as he may look. Much like Ageha, they both seem to focus on moving forward, but Oboro also seems a little mischievous in doing so as well

There is one thing which i would really love to know, but i see it not coming to light for a while though is the whole Day of Rebirth. We know who fights whom then, but where are Ageha and co? Dead? Alive? Stuck in Psyren? One mystery which i love since it could change suddenly at any time

Finally caught up with it today, seems chapter 107 came out aswell. Its an amazing series so far, alot of intrigue and awesome battles.

Ageha & Amemiya remind me of Ichigo & Rukia in a number of ways.

But i wonder what will happen to Oboro & Asaga? I find it rather intriguing on how Ageha seems to be capable of the same abilities as Amagi as noted by that crazy insect man ;)

Thing is this current arc wasn't a waste of time though in that sense, the future was changed again and it looks like the two who yoshina fought back when he saved girgori 6 are going to join Amagi...unless they attempt to stop him and Grana but can't wait for next weeks chapter

Think of it this way. This has by no means been a waste of time of an arc. Consider back to the previous arc before they returned from psyren most recently Now we learnt that Matsuri was infected by some form of virus which was incurable due to it being a PSI attack. Yoshina has just killed that bugger, so Matsuri isn't going to get weakened by that attack in the future. So in many ways, they have already done a lot. Its not what they wanted, but its certainly a step up.
Not only that, but you have to consider the other small battles which have gone on around since then. Kagetora has battled against others as well, and again, that changes things. Every small thing is making a difference, its not like they aren't changing things.

As i've said before, i think the next time they head back to the Psyren world, there will be a few people waiting for them, and it wouldn't surprise me if the elmore kids got stronger having better people training them

Yeah i've seen the vid-comics on youtube. it was pretty interesting. Ok so we only really have amamiya and yoshinas voices, but they do work, and hopefully this is a sign for an anime to come. Here's hoping.

Yeah, I kind of got addicted to this a while back and read all the way up to 107 in a few days. :p
oops, I wanted more! I would love for this to be published in English, I'd defiantly but it.

Well from what i heard, it was apparently not the most popular in Jump, so it could be that, but then even so, what about the past arc? it's not going to be suddenly rectified i think after this, so it may still go for a bit longer, but it is a bit....rushed.

I really cannot understand why a series this good is being cancelled. Its far better than most of the other popular stuff being churned out (I'm looking at you Naruto and Bleach), its a real shame cause this ending feels really rushed.

Stuart-says-yes said:
Has it been outright cancelled? I though it was just coming to an end anyway.
It should be fairly obvious, they cancel the bottom places on the popularity polls. If the people who buy the magazine don't like it there's no point it being in there.
Reading above sounds like it could have got axed.

Back