Possible Missing Evolutionary Link!

Voddas

Symphogear
Possible Missing Evolutionary Link!

I heard this on the news the other day and found it quite intresting. Suprised no one had made a thread about it yet.

This fossil is believed to be the missing link of our evolution, or at least part of it. It's the earliest recorded fossil at a ripe old age of 47-million-years-old that has opposable thumbs. The fossil was so well preserved in fact, scientists could tell that it had hair and even what it's last meal was!

Tbh, if this was infact the missing link, I would have assumed there'd be more hype about it in the news. I've also heard rumours of it being a publicity stunt. I don't know if any of these allogations are true but thought people mite like to discuss it.

Regardless of whether it is true or unfounded allegation, I'm convinced that creationists will soon launch their crusade against it.

In all seriousness now, something i've always wondered

we know how people attack other's because of their religion and such, but why have scientists or countrys supporting their research never been attacked for trying to disprove the existance of their god?

Ryo Chan said:

we know how people attack other's because of their religion and such, but why have scientists or countrys supporting their research never been attacked for trying to disprove the existance of their god?
Some have... just not in an all out war kind of sense. I've heard of attacks on labs and research buildings in the past. It's on a smaller scale but it's definately happening.

I'm not actually sure what to make of it, if its certainly legit then yes its something that could certainly be the "missing link", but as you said Voddas, there wasn't that much hype behind it, whether thats down to the fact that it was just never considered when they person who originally bought it never thought it was anything special or if it was just because noone was that surprised something like this appeared. Hah, then again, it could always have had its hype reduced by the news because of the commotion with politics at present with the speaker and such could easily set the news focus elsewhere.

Ryo Chan said:

:lol: give the man a cookie.

that, good sir. is probably the billion dollar question. and something i don't think anyone will have a reasonable excuse for.

Most of religion, i believe t be the same story but with different cast.
God is the faith, Jesus, his messenger/representative on earth.
Allah is the faith, Mohammed, his messenger/rep on earth.
the only ones that i like tbh are the Buddhists. lovely little fellows who sit under tree's, contemplate life and live a laid back lifestyle. all in the name of enlightenment. they don't push their belief's about as its pretty solitary.

In truth. the day that science proves that we are cause of evolution. and makes religion obsolete. is the day most of these "wars in the name of religion" will stop.

Tachi- said:
In truth. the day that science proves that we are cause of evolution. and makes religion obsolete. is the day most of these "wars in the name of religion" will stop.

You mean all the wars using the excuse of reglion will stop :p In a lot of cases reglion is just an excuse to either nab someone else's land, or take racial hatred to its most extreme's, i don't want to see Reglion wiped out, as everyone is entitled to their beliefs, and as long as they use that to make themselves good people then there's no harm in that.

Besides there's some branches of reglion that have worked Evolution into their beliefs, saying that God started it :p

Ryo Chan said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_Ga ... ontroversy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giordano_B ... .80.931600

These are just the high profile ones I happened to think of with zero investigation. I think people verbally attacking the religious institutions in unity is a relatively new thing compared to some of the ridiculous heresy censorship which has happened throughout our history.

The Catholic Church made a bit of a habit of trying to stamp out any research which questioned their God's absoluteness in the past.

R

Following Galileo's house arrest by Church authorities, other natural notable thinkers following him were very reluctant to publish controversial material. You could argue that the critical discourse in the Modern Period revolved around remaining in check with the religious authorities of the time, the freedom of critique being bound by enforced doctrine. Many works would be deliberately withheld from publication to avoid any ill consequences.

In fairness, the Catholic Church is relatively moderate (relative to American or African Christianity, that is!), depite how extremist the Pope comes across as. Catholics largely (and officially) accept evolution and I think it's unfair to paint that church as hostile to science, especially considering it's Vatican observatory and research labs are so productive. I dislike the Catholic church, but anti-sciene (like Evangelicals, Muslims, etc. are) they are not.

All this talk reminds me of Angels and demons :p
good film...one which you walk away thinking "i can believe thats actually happening"

CitizenGeek said:
Tachi- said:
All this talk reminds me of Angels and demons :p
good film...one which you walk away thinking "i can believe thats actually happening"

It's not actually happening :s

I didnt mean it in the sense your probably thinking...i take it you've seen the film. if so then feel free to read the spoiler and i'll explain what i meant properly :)

I mean it in the sense of science VS the church. and people becoming irrational in the name of what they believe. hell even the point of having church being corrupt. enough to kill each other....maybe. its not completely unbelievable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, right. Now I get you :]

Yeah, people obviously do kill in the name of religion (extremist Islam, for example) and are absurdly irrational as a result of it (denying evolution like U.S. Evangelicals do).

The reason it's not as ground breaking as it wants to be is that the notion of 'the missing link' is utter dangle-berried butt-runoff. There's no such thing. It's a missing link, a possible stage of a series of evolutions that created two vastly different species. A family tree with countless nodes, not just one between 'monkey' and 'human'.

That, and the real reason is that King Louie asked Mowgli for the secret of man's red flower and he refused. Thank god Baloo did his cross-dressed hula-skirt bit, or we'd have all been royally screwed.

CitizenGeek said:
. I dislike the Catholic church, but anti-sciene (like Evangelicals, Muslims, etc. are) they are not.

What? Muslim embrace Science like the Catholic does (if more so). I've read the Qu'ran and despite being contradictory, not once has it contradicted the negative opposition of Science. In fact, Muslim were far better scientists back in the olden days.

I might not like my religion, but really...

Back