Possible AUKN podcast discussion

I'll be interested in joining some podcast discussions, i've got some knowledge on 'indie' manga and the new anime series.

Again like I said in chat, this podcast doesn't have to be fully anime - short up-to-date game or news segments would be cool.

You don't want to overstuff it trying to appeal to every single fanbase out there. This is an anime site. First and foremost, this is an anime news site; so its well and good to stretch beyond that but don't go too far. It's much better to do something well that only a niche will listen to and love than something everyone just listen to and be indifferent about. (Though getting everyone will always be a struggle).

What podcasts, btw, are people currently listening to? That might give us an ear for what individual people are going for. If you're not, and want to contribute, you should start listening straight away.

(I post cos I care...)

OST, due to the nature of a podcast, could be good. (Though you don't want to separate every part of anime to different people, then you'd have people reviewing character designs and background art...)
If/when you wanted to get bigger, a video podcast could be done for figures. Along similar lines, you could always plaster video over the actual podcast itself, tbh and then stick that on YouTube - would be like an anime version of all them Machinima videos.

Possibly presenters need to work out a schedule too. Scheduling will be hell.

Jayme said:
You don't want to overstuff it trying to appeal to every single fanbase out there. This is an anime site. First and foremost, this is an anime news site; so its well and good to stretch beyond that but don't go too far. It's much better to do something well that only a niche will listen to and love than something everyone just listen to and be indifferent about. (Though getting everyone will always be a struggle).

What podcasts, btw, are people currently listening to? That might give us an ear for what individual people are going for. If you're not, and want to contribute, you should start listening straight away.

(I post cos I care...)

OST, due to the nature of a podcast, could be good. (Though you don't want to separate every part of anime to different people, then you'd have people reviewing character designs and background art...)
If/when you wanted to get bigger, a video podcast could be done for figures. Along similar lines, you could always plaster video over the actual podcast itself, tbh and then stick that on YouTube - would be like an anime version of all them Machinima videos.

Possibly presenters need to work out a schedule too. Scheduling will be hell.

I listen to eyeonanime's podcast. it was easy to listen to and had a great informative base. listened to all their podcasts and they have recordings from expo's as well as special "one off" shows (the dirty dozen) which focus on the best (x amount) of anime brought out this year. includes anime yet to come out and based on a scale of 1 to 10 what the show would be, based on research.

(Though you don't want to separate every part of anime to different people, then you'd have people reviewing character designs and background art...)

no what i mean is... have it like a discussion/debate, where one person reviews it and the others give their opinions. each person has a different show they review for it. the research team dig up the latest anime or start making a vault of "classic must haves" in their collection.

hmmm..... as your taking charge it seems jayme (something i agree with) can you find a way of deciding whats going on with jobs. or atleast set up a vote for people to a, put their name against a job, and b, have the forums vote on who they think should do the job?

I'd really rather someone else do it, but ugh, I'll start it if necessary. People PM me their desired roles, then I'll make a thread. Doesn't anyone else wanna do this ?? I'll leave this open for a couple of days, so either someone can take the job over from me and it gives the chance for people to really think about a role.

Producer - someone who can organise, get people together and make sure everyone knows what's going on. The producer will have absolute creative control, so although they should be approachable, the single vision (ness) makes it easier to get a job done. The Editor, Researchers and Presenters all need to come to you. If people are unsure, they can still apply and I can help you at the beginning to get things running. Needs to have equipment to play the files.

Editor - Audio editing software is a must and they need to be have a level of experience with it - its okay if you don't right now, but are willing to train. This role could easily vary from being a short gig some months to a much larger tasks another month. Around 30-40 minutes per episode should be chopped down to, I think... If segments are clearly defined, creating idents for them etc. May involve working with a Presenter.

Writers/Researchers - Gathering all the latest news and [anime] reviews, and simply complying it for the episodes. Highlighting what it the most important stuff. Writers main roles will possibly include writing episode/show recaps, working with the producer on creating segments etc. All in a easy-to-read manner. Good to have a UK-slant to it all. Bullet-points make a Presenters job easier.

Presenters - Clear and understandable English with ability not to speak over people. MUST have the equipment or are prepared to get a good microphone as soon as possible. Know how to work conversation software like Skype, and record it too. They are recording in a suitable area - no dogs in the background etc. Must be always aware and following the conversation. Producer will need to assign segments, as well as needing to "voice-test" possibly presenters to see who's clicking and who's not.

Shall we have a tentative date of 10th of March for a time to be prepared by/have the episode ready?

Am I taking this too seriously? You're more than welcome just to stick Skype on a record, cos I dunno the quality you want.

I'd be happy enough to try my hand at presenter, if people don't mind the presenter having a fairly slim MAL (in comparison to others here).

Also, I don't think having the forum vote on who should be doing what jobs is a good idea. It doesn't matter if you want to be a presenter - it matters if you're good at the job. Whoever is taking overall control at this should have conversations via Skype/Phone/Vent/Whatever and decide who should present - Heck, if people vote for presenters they've never properly heard we could just get something terrible coming out.

I'd say we establish who's producer, get them to appoint the other roles to those who apply, and they deem best to do so. Being a presenter on this shouldn't be about who can get the most votes (also called a popularity contest), it should be about who can actually do the job well. Some people come across really plain online, but can be really charismatic irl, others can be really outspoken online, but dead silent irl.

Just my views though. No doubt there will be disagreements on this as it's not democratic.

Just want to add, if you're doing stuff on OSTs and unlicensed material, please remember to steer clear of promoting illegal means of obtaining it so that it doesn't cause problems for chaos if he supports the podcast. Tips on picking up the material legitimately, however, would be very useful for UK listeners, especially for newer fans.

I know most of you are cool about this anyway, but someone has to say it and it may as well be me :)

I am liking Serious Jayme.

R

*cough* PM's?

I haven't got many. Nobody wants to be a producer. Nobody?

I'll post up what I've got on Sunday/Monday. (Which is longer than I said but I'm busy).

I really don't think you should be doing it Jayme if you don't want to. It's not going to do much good if the producer doesn't enjoy what he does. Don't get me wrong, I'd like you to do it, but I'd rather you were happy regardless.

Hmm. I think I'm exaggerating to be honest.

I just wanted someone with more of a current/informed anime view but if everyone on the team (and just forum people) help me out, I should do okay. I produce/see enough producing on an almost day-to-day basis so it shouldn't be a problem (let's just ignore the fact they are television productions).

Cheers for the vote of confidence. :)

I'm still open for people wanting to do it though.

I'd be happy for Jayme to do the producing, and then when it comes to putting the schedule together talking with his researchers and presenters as a group about which shows would be best for that show if he's not sure.

Everything is kinda being dealt with Behind the scenes at the mo, just deciding on how to approach things. He'll throw things out as soon as things are sorted really. So no worries there. Things are still being done Jimmeh

Well, sad to have missed all the organising and skype discussions. But glad this is going ahead. I want a nice big announcement when it launched. Britain is really missing a great podcast.

We're still kinda getting things moving actually if you want to give it a bash. Things have been kinda put on hiatus for a wee bit i think because of uni deadlines and such. Need to check about. As soon as i speak with everyone else though i'll throw what be happening on here.

It's usually an 8PM - 10PM and they were fairly regular for a couple of weeks so we'll need to try fitting one into everyone's schedule again.

Brilliant, thank you. Just post an alert in this thread when another one is happening. I'd love to listen in, maybe join in. It's odd when I consider how much I review but I am not in the habit of TALKING to actual people about anime. Heh.

Back