Possible AUKN podcast discussion

Tachi

Mushi-shi
Godot said:
ilmaestro said:
fwiw, I agree that as long as there are threads actually discussing anime (like Godot's GitS:SAC thread) that are active, the overall number of posts is pretty irrelevant. Sure was gutted that we missed out on the 3k by two posts though, haha.

Yeah - I mean I know it seems odd coming from me as I rarely venture from the Random/Gaming/Media sections - but I figured it'd be worth in future just trying to create activity out of things that were just going on anyway. The GitS:SAC thread seems to be going well :)

Kept my eye on that thread of yours spyro, it is a good idea but i'll chip in when you get to 2nd Gig, (as....dare i say it..... i haven't got the first boxset in total)

i've been saying for ages that we could do a podcast. i'm already on skype, i know ryo has wanted one for ages too, maybe we should run a pilot and see how it goes. (who's up for it? if so, tonight?)

a monthly podcast on whats been watched, latest releases, upcoming releases, R1's that should be R2's. A games section (possible competitions, but the games section could also be put down to what anime related games people have been playing)

i'd say no more than 4 people doing the actual podast though, 4 people talking, maybe a person or two in the background doing research or something, or could have a collective AUKN one where the appointed presenters have people "on the show" talking from another perspective, new person every week, in total 4 peoples views on anime/manga per monthly episode, could run for upto 2 hours in total.

what do people think?

(I want to contribute more to AUKN, i think a podcast would be a great way of doing that)

Research shouldn't be happening during the show. You would need to get a proper hierarchy going, assign a producer, editor, presenter etc roles if it were to properly happen. Think up the segments, the music necessary, the time of it.

You can't just stick on skype and record - nobody would listen to that.

Jayme said:
Research shouldn't be happening during the show. You would need to get a proper hierarchy going, assign a producer, editor, presenter etc roles if it were to properly happen. Think up the segments, the music necessary, the time of it.

You can't just stick on skype and record - nobody would listen to that.

I never said during the show, the other person(s) do research on new shows before the show.

And you really can. sure it'll need editing afterwards. but thats how eyeonanime do their podcasts so rather than all meeting up or something costly like that. skype is free and can serve a purpose.

if this is going to be done properly then surely we should have a seperate thread so everything can be finalised in there. who producer is, content and show times, a plan on what (atleast) the first 3 shows will have in them, dedicated time to segments. and who wants to be a presenter (plus how many presenters do people find acceptable)

Maxon said:
If it were to happen, I'd rather have it up to vote or letting chaos decide than just have people volunteer for roles.

was going to create seperate dedicated thread to cause, but works been manic today. but yeah i reviewed what i'd said before and decided to implement a voting system.

i'll post what i've got so far:

May become the UK's number 1 anime podcast with abit of hard graft.

Producer:
Who do you want to spearhead the podcast? can vote yourself or nominate another member.

Job Description: organise paperwork regarding podcasts content, scheduled times, editing of completed podcast recordings and general middleman pulling all the reviews and research together in a decent order and can organise times for the team to record the podcast.

Presenters:
Who's voices present the podcast? can vote yourself or nominate another member.

Job Description: Has to be easy to listen to, can be comical,

I think in terms of the 'Job Description' on Presenter - you're going to need someone who's hot on anime. Heck, I'd love to do it, and I've seen a fair amount, but no where near as much as others here. Unless you had people on who knew their ****, it might be kinda crap for the more hardcore fans here. For that reason Tach, no offence as I know you want to contribute to AUKN more, but I don't think you'd be suited to a presenter.

I think Jayme would be a could idea for Producer/Director/Behind the Scenes stuff though. I get the impression he'd be really good at that.

I have had one planned for a while. Heck i've done trial recordings via Audacity as well on the matter. The only problem is, getting some form of confidence to talk for certain lengths of time on particular subjects. Saying that, i was intent on spending my day off on friday on the matter. Starting as a Gaming style one then moving onto anime and such. Reason being, i know a ton on the gaming side of things, being a gamer since i was god knows how young, so talking about it comes a little easier. Once i get down a routine and style, i'd move onto the anime/manga side of things.

Just so you know what i've had planned since december, what i've done on the matter and such, so that it hasn't just been all talk ;p

Godot said:
I think in terms of the 'Job Description' on Presenter - you're going to need someone who's hot on anime. Heck, I'd love to do it, and I've seen a fair amount, but no where near as much as others here. Unless you had people on who knew their ****, it might be kinda crap for the more hardcore fans here. For that reason Tach, no offence as I know you want to contribute to AUKN more, but I don't think you'd be suited to a presenter.

I think Jayme would be a could idea for Producer/Director/Behind the Scenes stuff though. I get the impression he'd be really good at that.

well, whatever you want. tbh spyro its up to the regulars at AUKN, im not bothered if people want me on it or not, i've wanted us to all do this for ages, spoken to chaos about it alot. but whatever.

just giving ideas across and stuff. not like i was appointing myself jobs here.

Arbalest said:
I have had one planned for a while. Heck i've done trial recordings via Audacity as well on the matter. The only problem is, getting some form of confidence to talk for certain lengths of time on particular subjects. Saying that, i was intent on spending my day off on friday on the matter. Starting as a Gaming style one then moving onto anime and such. Reason being, i know a ton on the gaming side of things, being a gamer since i was god knows how young, so talking about it comes a little easier. Once i get down a routine and style, i'd move onto the anime/manga side of things.

Just so you know what i've had planned since december, what i've done on the matter and such, so that it hasn't just been all talk ;p

I've got no problem talkin at length about things.... regardless of what spyro said i may not talk about anime much about the forums but that doesn't mean im not clued up on previous/current titles.

whatever though, people vote for what you want.

Godot said:

Last i checked, there was nothing in the books suggesting that this only be aimed at the hardcore fans on the site. There should be stuff viable for everyone, hardcore fan or just someone who enjoys the medium every now and then. Tach could more than easily fit the bill with something on those terms, reading the weekly news or whatever, and if you want some hardcore fan discussing something, then that is easy enough sorted too. There is nothing suggesting you can't have more than one or two people doing the talking.

Tachi- said:
well, whatever you want. tbh spyro its up to the regulars at AUKN, im not bothered if people want me on it or not, i've wanted us to all do this for ages, spoken to chaos about it alot. but whatever.

just giving ideas across and stuff. not like i was appointing myself jobs here.

Tachi- said:
maybe we should run a pilot and see how it goes. (who's up for it? if so, tonight?)

I just felt this comment implied that you wanted to do it, that's all. I wasn't saying you shouldn't be a presenter or somethin'. I was just giving my ideas and stuff. Not like I was appointing other people jobs here.

Arbalest said:
Last i checked, there was nothing in the books suggesting that this only be aimed at the hardcore fans on the site. There should be stuff viable for everyone, hardcore fan or just someone who enjoys the medium every now and then. Tach could more than easily fit the bill with something on those terms, reading the weekly news or whatever, and if you want some hardcore fan discussing something, then that is easy enough sorted too.

Eaaaaasy tiger. I wasn't meaning to imply it should be aimed at solely hardcore fans - I wouldn't call yourself, Lupus, or Ryo "hardcore", but you certainly have a far wealthier MAL than Tachi or myself. There's a balance. I'm not saying this podcast should be aimed at hardcore folk - Heck if one presenter was only a casual fan that'd be fine - but if you just get those who are most active on here (i.e. those that post in Random/Gaming/Media in excess, and rarely touch anime sections) you're going to get a podcast being run by people who aren't really best suited to talk about it. So if you went with Tachi's plan of 4 presenters, then I think no more than 1 should be a casual fan.

Arbalest said:
There is nothing suggesting you can't have more than one or two people doing the talking.

I never implied such a thing. I assumed Tachi's proposal of 4 was a relatively good guess. Heck - I've never listened to a podcast with only one or two people talking. They're normally just eBooks. 3 is a minimum for podcasts, unless you have highly charismatic presenters.

Split into its own discussion as you guys were gathering so much steam. Even if it's unofficial to begin with, a podcast by some people here might well be entertaining - though I don't usually tend to listen to them myself.

I want to hear Arbalest's, and I'll give any made by other regulars at least a fair shake ;)

R

Arby, isn't yours more of an audio-blog type thing? It doesn't sound hugely dissimilar to the "Your Anime Sucks" one's (sorry, I'm forgetting the user) posted on here. Doesn't sound bad though. With podcasts usually, there needs some banter and there needs to be some chemistry. Out of curiosity, you're not just talking from your mind, right? Auto-cueing that stuff will help with confidence.

Re: "hardcore" ? What does that even mean? If people have watched a show, that makes them "hardcore" on that particular show? A list of the times different shows are talked about should be posted on a blog.

Have two or three personalities max, and they can share duties. There doesn't need to be a Main Presenter (though in certain cases, it might be helpful - reading advertisements and wrapping things up, etc). The casting is the most important thing, because although they might read well (via text) it doesn't mean they can host and discuss a show. A rapport will have to be developed between the three leads (so off-air skype call or something) and they would need to be knowledgeable about the stuff itself. For instance, its probably easier (in the long-run) to choose people who watch the more recent stuff and there seems to be a couple of people on here who fit that bill*. They can't just read off sheets; it'll be like a Jay Leno interview then. And... of course, the people with the best equipment are more likely to get chosen.

I wouldn't really care for a producer role. I'll chip in if people want me to, or if I see something going drastically wrong but otherwise I'll leave them to do it. Whoever decides to be the producer will have final say over the casting, schedules and absolutely everything. There can be an Assistant Producer too.

(*not everyone having the same tastes will be problematic unless a viewing schedule is given to the presenters so a few shows are absolutely watched before each recording, perhaps every two/three weeks. If we had a moe fan, an '80s buff and a shoujo lover, this stuff of stuff could be real interesting.)

Jayme said:
Re: "hardcore" ? What does that even mean?

I consider it someone who watches 1+ episode daily. Somethin' like that.

WRT presenters, I'd put forward Ilmaestro personally.

Note: This is assuming we get a video feed so we can see his hat.

Jayme said:
Arby, isn't yours more of an audio-blog type thing? It doesn't sound hugely dissimilar to the "Your Anime Sucks" one's (sorry, I'm forgetting the user) posted on here. Doesn't sound bad though. With podcasts usually, there needs some banter and there needs to be some chemistry. Out of curiosity, you're not just talking from your mind, right? Auto-cueing that stuff will help with confidence.

In some ways, it does sound it. I mean, my aim is to put forward some sort of gaming review once a week(Dead Space 2 is my plan this week, if anyone asks), and throw down as much of the gaming news i can find which i think would be valid to the gamers you'd see around here. Getting more people into the loop would probably make it a full on podcast, but i'm not sure who would fit the bill there. Seeing as everyone about here does some form of gaming, you could say everyone is viable, so we'll see. Obviously touching on the Visual novel genre would require someone other than me but, i'd need to think on it.

i reckon i would make a decent presenter. (not to mention i would love it) i can have a laugh with casual banter (although sometimes i will say something which may offend people so editing may be harder but that only happens when i get carried away) i would like to contribute more to this website (i feel like im writing a CV) not to mention the whole reason i came on this site is to talk about my geekiness. (everyone at school knows im an otaku but only one of my friends even watches anime) Not to mention someone said we would need different tastes i like quite alot of violent stuff (hellsing, elfen lied) stuff with an arguably good story (eva, FMA) moe comedy (lucky star, pani poni dash) sod it lets just say my tastes are miscellaneous- the aneous makes it sound cool

I'd like to offer myself for something, maybe editing, or part of that process as the part I don't know is how I'd work getting the files sent to me. If someone had hosting each person could upload files to, and that I could grab from, that'd work.

Provided a rough draw of the "script" is sent to me for approval, I'd sponsor the idea and would love to host it here. not sure on the tech to do so, perhaps skype? pm me your ideas and remind me to look here again later, as I've been away from AUKN for a while.

I would be very interested in helping out with something like this, even if it was in the form of "proof-listening" or something. Most important thing though is to not under any circumstances underestimate how much harder it will be to do this well, rather than simply do this (which won't be that easy in and of itself).

I don't know if it has to be apart of every show, but we try and appeal the show to those who don't always visit the forum/site, then the podcast could be an audio version of written reviews, if the original authors consented.

Basically, if you added a written review to the site then you PM a/the Podcast Writer/Editor and they submitted your written review to be added to the podcast. It shouldn't take much to add too edit into a format to be read, and is less to be created from scratch. Same could be applied to other reviews.

I'd like to be a presenter if possible, as i find it easy to talk to people and never seem to let conversations get to that "awkward silence". although i don't have as many titles on my MAL as some others i'd say that, that also works in my favour. when discussing a show thats "new" to me i'd be able to give my initial thoughts and opinions on the story/characters/design and what sparked interest and what let the show down (if applicable)

Generally laid back and easy to get on with. interested in helping with this podcast and as i said before.... can always look at older anime that's not mainstream - to help new fans see what they may normally never come across.

A script for the beginning and end sounds great. a guideline for each episode - what will be talked about and roughly how long. and bullet points as reference to what needs talking about.

Is this defo a montly podcast? anyone else interested in the "one quarter a week" idea?

Edit:

What about reviews of OST's? have them playing during/before a segment on the show they come from?

Back