Perfect Blue to be released on Blu Ray

It may be that it sold well initially and then did badly on DVD, or vice versa? Otherwise I can only assume the problem was with one party's expectations versus reality (if it was a pricey license they may have overpaid, or been asked to overpay to renew the contract).

I think Manga reps have mentioned a few times that they don't really know everything about what happened before their time there. It would be so interesting to know the secret figures...

R

I asked Manga at their site if they had planned on re-issuing the DVD when Kon passed away, in respect of, but one of them said the licence had only just expired and it wouldn't be worth the money and to re-license and re-release it. I wonder what has changed since then?

I already own this, so it's a maybe for me...

but I do give Anime Limited a big thumbs up, Andrew clearly has decent taste ;-)

Dannielle said:
Rosencrantz said:
Hmm, now that's interesting

Back in the Manga thread in Jan it was mentioned this was a pricey licence that never really sold well in the UK. I know the forum goers here are keen to see a release but how will it pan out in the wider market?

Andrew stated (I think he's the one who runs it) on their facebook page that it sold pretty well, total opposite of what Manga said =/

I do remember the VHS being a fairly big thing, and it was on Scifi as I recall. Perhaps the DvD bombed for them due to lack of promotion.

Re: Anime Limited to Release Perfect Blue

For some reason I thought this had already been released on blu ray.

Great title for them to pick up, be interested to see the pricing on these.

So..this came out today and its already looking like this for the collectors edition on Amazon:

#14 in Film & TV > World Cinema
#65 in Film & TV > Blu-ray

...Bebop Part 1 is No.2 again & Bebop Part 2 is No.17 in World Cinema.

Whatever they're doing, they're doing it right. Bloody hell.

I haven't seen Perfect Blue before even though I was somewhat interested in it, so for me this is a great license. Pre-ordered the CE and Bebop Box 1. I'll be doing the same for all other currently announced titles as the release dates get closer.

At the time of writing, In the coming soon chart Bebop 1 is #29, Perfect Blue CE is #53 and Bebop 2 is #65.
I'm going to take that as "they're doing alright"

Next License when? I need to throw more money at Andrew.

Another pile of my money going to Anime Limited :D They are setting a very high standard for themselves, I hope they can maintain this level of quality in all their future licences.

the only certain thing i'm purchasing from anime limited is the cowboy bebop boxset, everything else is circumstantial, but i probably will get perfect blue, the shinkai films and outlaw star, if there is nothing i want to get more when they are released, but all the same they do seem to be doing absolutely great, if you look at the bestseller lists on amazon the you'd see that they are quite successful

Rosencrantz said:
Dannielle said:
Rosencrantz said:
Hmm, now that's interesting

Back in the Manga thread in Jan it was mentioned this was a pricey licence that never really sold well in the UK. I know the forum goers here are keen to see a release but how will it pan out in the wider market?

Andrew stated (I think he's the one who runs it) on their facebook page that it sold pretty well, total opposite of what Manga said =/

I do remember the VHS being a fairly big thing, and it was on Scifi as I recall. Perhaps the DvD bombed for them due to lack of promotion.

I saw the VHS in Tesco as a kid, so it must've been pretty well promoted then.

Also on a somewhat melancholy note, the release date is a scant 2 days after what would've been Kon's 50th birthday... I'm planning on a full Kon works marathon that day. Lucky it falls on a saturday.

Back