Paradise Kiss anime!

I think the OP theme and its animation perfectly captures the slick, detailed style and melodrama of Paradise Kiss. Everything is just so well stylized and considered. Although I enjoy the ending theme too, I'm not sure if it meshes well with the series overall.

Paul said:
Although I enjoy the ending theme too, I'm not sure if it meshes well with the series overall.
I think it fits perfectly with the real essence of Parakiss and I think to be honest it's a song about George! The one thing I love about the ed theme are the ending animation credits that go with it ^_^ It's the only fansub where I bother to watch the ed credits every time!

The only complaints I have about Parakiss are: 1/. the so called arty sections of animation where everyone looks pigging ugly and more like something out of a laury painting than an anime! 2/. those, again, so called arty shots where the characters are in the middle of a conversation and the scene is a continuous shot of a coffee cup, or a park bench. 3/. The, so far, lack of excitement between George and Yukari.
The first 2 of course being down to the animation company, the third being down to the scriptwriters! My imagination was more vivid than those scenes so far :lol:
I have one small complaint about Izabella; they shouldn't have given him a female seiyuu, they should have found a man who has an effeminate voice (and there are plenty of them out there in anime!).

Just a little update after watching episode 5 (raw).
I have a major concern with how on earth the rest of the story is going to fit into the remaining 7 episodes and I have this horrible feeling that the affair between George and Yukari is going to be dumbed down to virtually nothing and they'll conentrate on the fashion aspect of the story. I will very very disappointed if they do and my initial love for this will die down quite a bit. The reason I'm feeling so despondent, is after watching Kaikan Phrase where every single flame of passion between Sakuya and Aine was dampened down to nothing, I'm expecting the same with Parakiss now :cry:

To be honest, I'd prefer their relationship to be dumbed down a bit as it takes the focus away from what differentiates ParaKiss from a lot of other shoujo anime. I mean, how many anime are about fashion (forgetting how vain and pointless the world of fashion is for a moment) instead of romance? Believe me, I like my manga and anime with romance in just as much as the next person, but I'd like to see a shoujo anime that emphasized some other aspect over it, without ever completely forgetting the romance. I don't think either of them are the best characters in the anime anyway to be quite honest.

Spee said:
I don't think either of them are the best characters in the anime anyway to be quite honest.
George is the main reason I'm watching Parakiss (I can openly admit to being that shallow :lol: ). I like all of the characters in the anime (can't stand Arashi's accent though), but I think the best portrayal is of Alice ^_^
I will always want the passion in Parakiss, as the main part of the appeal of the story (for me anyway) is the romance side of it. This is also why I was depressed for 3 days after I finished reading the manga, as for a shoujo manga, it was NOT the ending I was hoping for :cry:

I can understand your point of view, I just think the other 3 at the atelier are more interesting characters, especially 'Isabella' - it's not often you have transvestites depicted in anime/manga, though that's not the main reason I find 'her' interesting.

My turn to do a screencap ^_^ This is a poster on Arashi's wall!!

BTW episode 6 gets *hot* :twisted: My fears of the romance between George and Yukari are, thankfully, unfounded. Not quite as sexy as in the manga, but not far off ^_^

Miaka-chan said:
My turn to do a screencap ^_^ This is a poster on Arashi's wall!!

BTW episode 6 gets *hot* :twisted: My fears of the romance between George and Yukari are, thankfully, unfounded. Not quite as sexy as in the manga, but not far off ^_^

:) That's quite the relief; does episode six cover George and Yukari's first time and Yukari moving in with George?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just watched episode 6, it was great as allways, but Im confused, if George and Yukari where in Arashi's apartment, where was Arashi talking to Hiro or whatever his name is.

Ramen89 said:
Im confused, if George and Yukari where in Arashi's apartment, where was Arashi talking to Hiro or whatever his name is.
I think Arashi was at wherever he used to live, while George and Yukari were at Arishi's apartment.

Been enjoying parakiss so far, it has one of the more unique storylines I've come accross so far (which isn't a huge amout though).

Miaka-chan said:
Chomolungma said:
:) That's quite the relief; does episode six cover George and Yukari's first time and Yukari moving in with George?
Yes to #1 and no to #2 ^_^

Thanks; all in all I felt it was a good episode, and I can't wait for more.

Spee: Isabella agrees with you. Observe below:

Ramen89 said:
Just watched episode 6, it was great as allways, but Im confused, if George and Yukari where in Arashi's apartment, where was Arashi talking to Hiro or whatever his name is.
He was obviously at his mothers home - she looked pretty cool, dontcha think?! One of the other things I love about Parakiss, is it doesn't portray "older" people as obsolete hasbeens :lol:

To be fair to Chomolungma and Miaka to a certain degree, I actually thought the, erm, scenes in the 6th episode between George and Yukari were done pretty well, even if neither of them are my favourite characters by far. Having not read the manga before, I'm kind of hoping we'll get to know more about the other 3, especially Isabella, sooner rather than later. I hope we get to see evidence of George's bisexuality also, and that it's not just in there to separate him from the others. What did tickle me slightly is that after the very next day after the first time they'd had sex, she decides to move in with him. :lol:

In retrospect, I'm glad it didn't dwell on George or Isabella's sexuality, and that the latter episodes had more about 'him' and 'his' friendship with George. I think part of the reason which made it compulsive viewing for me was because I despised the 2 main characters; that's a credit to the makers of the anime (as I can't speak for the manga - although this would be ample time to ask if the manga includes a lot that isn't in the anime). The designs made them look older than 18 but mentally neither of them were anywhere near it. I post this now because the anime has finished airing in the last week. I thoroughly recommend it! :D

Having saved them up for a while, tonight I enjoyed the final four episodes of Paradise Kiss! :) The ending was great, and the Isabella revelation totally caught me off guard! The ultra stylish animation really stepped up a notch too and like Gankutsuou, the experimental fabric textures which overlayed the character designs gave the show such an elegent aesthetic, an almost absurd level of Victorian fashion. I wish BECK looked as good as this. The final two episodes were especially engrossing and struck a strong emotional chord with me, the way the characters went about their lives was equally tragic, romantic and heart breaking.

Although it dragged with annoyingly petty melodrama on occasion, Paradise Kiss gets a solid A grade rating from me. And I get the feeling it will be even better when marathoned over a few days.

Back