[Overseas] The Anime Expo 2016 Thread

NormanicGrav said:
Makoto Shinkai's Kimi no Na wa. (Your Name.) will be released in North America by FUNimation
Another one I expected Sentai to get. I can't help but get the impression that Funimation is literally throwing money around at the moment. They seem to be pushing the Funimation films thing.

That Code Geass set will be mine. I've been wanting to replace my BBFCed DVDs for a while and didn't want to support Kaze so this will do nicely.

Also, yay for more Code: Realize! I'll probably pick up all of the Vita otome games eventually; hope they get physical releases since my Vita is set to JP.

R

Mangaranga said:
Edit: Seems the other thread answers my question... Can't say I've ever seen Funi include both Stereo and Surround options before, although in this case it seems like more of an Eva situation where the two audio mixes will be entirely different. Still, it would be nice if they did it more often.
I wonder how they're going to handle this. The subtitles can't be accurately timed to both audio tracks at the same time as they actually moved some lines in the 5.1 remix (only when no lip flaps are visible obviously). Will they provide two subtitle tracks? Sounds like more work than they'd actually want to do...

I actually prefer the stereo mix because they moved/changed the soundtrack a bit and the last episode just isn't as good imo.

This hasn't been mentioned, presumably because it's not relevant to us, but Daisuki will be launching a premium service in North America. It will remove or reduce the time delay on their simulcasts, and in addition to this features three Gundam series (Wing, SEED, SEED Destiny) and some other stuff, exclusively for premium members. However there is a catch-- all of that content, except one series (Vegetable Fairies NY), disappears on August 31st. Apparently Daisuki expect everyone to be able to finish 150 episodes of Gundam, 46 episodes of Ginga Hyōryū Vifam and Magical Sisters Yoyo & Nene in just under 2 months.

Anime Consortium Japan (owners of Daisuki) also launched their own news and editorial site, Anime NOW!, which will also feature news, editorials, reviews and cast and crew information about present and future anime. One it's aims is to encourage legal streaming, which would explain the editorial on Macross Delta...

Their own introductions contains such trust-inspiring gems as:
While any and all anime can be subjected to negative criticism, we at ANIME NOW! are focused on exploring what we love about anime and why we love it. Because of this you’ll see far more positive coverage on the site than negative coverage...

Of course, our anime reviews will be nothing less than the completely honest opinions of our authors...

As a part of Anime Consortium Japan, a company whose shareholders include Aniplex, Bandai Namco Holdings, Kodansha, and Toei Animation (just to name a few) we have a level of access to today’s anime that is simply unparalleled. As such, we will have inside access to industry professionals—writers, directors, animators, etc.—that other sites will not have. So you can look to ANIME NOW! for fresh content not found elsewhere.
(Obviously, that's been edited for personal facetiousness, but that's how it came across to me when I first read the full thing.)

AX Day 3 Recap

Aksys Games

Aksys Games have gone through a ton of new acquisitions for the gaming fans. Zero Escape players will be able to play 999: Nine Hours Nine Persons Nine Doors and Virtue's Last Reward remastered & ported onto other platforms (chosen formats to be announced). 999 will also include Japanese voices and keep the puzzles (which the mobile version omitted). For Otome visual novel fans, they will be able to play Bad Apple Wars, Collar X Malice, and Period Cube: Torikago no Amadeus on the PlayStation Vita in 2017. There's also Code: Realize Future Blessings, a fan disc with new routes, but the news is confusing people as to whether it's referring to PlayStation Vita or PlayStation 4.

Fans of Falcom (Legend of Heroes, Ys) will be able to play Tokyo Xanadu when it finally hits the west on PlayStation Vita and Steam at some point in the first half of 2017. Steam owners will also be able to play Aegis of Earth: Protonovus Assault and XBlaze Lost: Memories soon. For Nintendo 3DS owners, Chase: Cold Case Investigations – Distant Memories will be coming to the device as a digital download, this is the same franchise as the Hotel Dusk title released way back on the original DS. Last but not least Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters: Daybreak Special Gigs World Tour (an updated version of Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters) will be heading west for PlayStation 3, 4 and Vita.

In addition to these new acquisitions, they are also working on acquiring and localising Hakuouki: Sweet School Life for the PlayStation Vita.

Daisuki

Daisuki have announced a new premium subscription service for their website. The monthly fee is $5 and will allow users access to anime instantly when it airs without having to wait a week as well as granting access to certain catalogue titles including Mobile Suit Gundam Wing, Mobile Suit Gundam Seed, Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny, Round Vernian Vifam (Ginga Hyōryū Vifam), Magical Sisters Yoyo & Nene, and Vegetable Fairies N.Y. Salad (Yasai no Yōsei - N.Y. Salad). All except for Vegetable Fairies N.Y. Salad will be available for premium members until August 31. Current titles that will be part of the subscription deal (but will still be available for free viewers after 1 week) include Tales of Zestiria the X, Love Live! Sunshine!!, planetarian, Tsukiuta. THE ANIMATION, Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars, The Disastrous Life of Saiki K., Sca-red Rider XechS, and Time Travel Girl.

Funimation

Funimation didn't offer much news but they did showcase some new pieces of info. They reminded folks that they have acquired the live-action Rurouni Kenshin movie trilogy which will receive a US theatrical release during the summer. In addition they also showed off The Vision of Escaflowne sets that they have planned to release very soon - in fact it's now scheduled for 18th October 2016. The non-backers will be able to own the series across two parts and the movie, in addition to a collector's edition that includes the TV series and films together on Blu-ray. The Blu-rays for Escaflowne will be Region B compatible, and both dubs will be included on the discs regardless of what version you choose.

However they also unveiled another huge title for the same month. Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion will be back in print for 4th October 2016 with Season 1 and 2 released separately on different formats (Season 1 Blu-ray, Season 1 DVD etc.) in addition to a collector's edition with both seasons together on Blu-ray plus 16 artcards illustrated by CLAMP. All on-disc versions will have over 3 hours worth of bonus features plus 5.1 Japanese audio mix. Unlike the Kaze version the series as a whole will have 8 Blu-ray discs instead of 4. No content or format is missing compared to Haruhi Suzumiya's Ultimate Collector's Edition. Afterwards Funimation also acquired the upcoming anime adaptation for Drifters and acquired the new Makoto Shinkai film Your name.

Other Notes

Production IG have confirmed Funimation rescued the film Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence. While Miss Hokusai has also been picked up, but the license holder is not revealed.

Play Asia on their social media have put out a request form to ask their customers on what titles they would like to see gain an English release (in Asian English form). The winner so far ended up being The iDOLM@STER: Platinum Stars but other titles selected include Tales of Innocence R, Digimon series, Phantasy Star series, Natsuiro High School, Uppers, & way more other games.

Only one piece of info was new to Viz Media's Sailor Moon panel and that was a release date for Sailor Moon S Part 1. Like the previous seasons, Part 1's limited edition will include a box to hold both parts plus a booklet. The release date for this is set to November 15th 2016.

Visual Novels: Other Notes

Degica (the same folks who helped bring Muv-Luv to the west) will be localising Kimi ga Nozomu Eien and may consider a Kickstarter crowdfunding campaign.

VisualArts have released the Clannad spin-off Tomoyo After ~It's a Wonderful Life~ on Steam. This is the All-Ages version.

Visual Novels: Sekai Project

Sekai Project have a few titles up their sleeve from their latest panel. Coming soon are the following:
  • A Magical High School Girl | Developer: illuCalab - Coming to iOS and PC
  • Baldr Sky Dive1 “Lost Memory” & Baldr Sky Dive2 “Recordare” | Developer: Team Baldrhead - Coming to Steam
  • Boku to Koisuru Ponkotsu Akuma | Developer: SMILE - Coming soon
  • SakuSaku | Developer: Palette - Coming to Steam
  • Japanese School Life | Developer: Code:jp - Original IP from Sekai Project, Coming soon
  • Shining Song Starnova | Developer: Love in Space - Coming soon
  • WORLD END ECONOMiCA | Developer: Spicy Tails - In partnership with Limited Run Games, the PS4 and Vita versions will receive limited physical releases in 2017
In addition these titles, they're also working on a NEKOPARA anime Kickstarter.

Visual Novels: MangaGamer

MangaGamer have formed a new partnership with Chuablesoft and their first few titles, but the one announced first is If You Love Me, Then Say So! (Watashi ga Suki nara “Suki”tte Itte!). The publisher will also be bringing over the black humor BL title Hadaka Shitsuji – Naked Butlers with their second new partner Mada Koubou, as well as being uncensored plus available for Mac and Linux. From their third new partner Kalmia8, they'll be bringing the Otome game Fashioning Little Miss Lonesome (Bocchimusume x Produce Keikaku.) with both an All-Ages version for Steam and an uncensored version on their main website. From their continuing partnership with Circus (the folks who made Da Capo), MangaGamer will be bringing the Da Capo successor D.S. – Dal Segno – with both an All-Ages version for Steam and an uncensored version on their main website. And last but not least from ClockUp (the folks who made Euphoria) comes Maggot baits, with no more news yet to reveal. More licenses will be announced at Otakon later this month.

Visual Novels: JAST USA

JAST USA have a few titles to announce. These lot will all be due for 2017:
  • Katahane - An'call Belle' - HD release
  • Eiyuu Senki - Uncensored, coordinating with Fruitbat that recently released the PS3 localisation
  • PrincessX - My Fiancee is a Monster Girl
  • Sweet Home
In addition both Flowers and Nymposensei Ryoko are coming soon.

I have wanted Daisuki to have a paid option to get rid of the ads for a while but a region-locked paid service sounds like a bad direction for them to be heading in. They'd better handle it right outside their preferred territories.

Don't mind the idea of Anime Now but when I visited it neither helped me check out legal sources of the anime they had written about nor addressed the massive elephant in the room of making region locks on streaming easier to understand, so it seems pointless. The outdated list of streams links to US and Australian sources but doesn't even tell you which is which. It's a mess.

R

Rui said:
I have wanted Daisuki to have a paid option to get rid of the ads for a while but a region-locked paid service sounds like a bad direction for them to be heading in. They'd better handle it right outside their preferred territories.

Don't mind the idea of Anime Now but when I visited it neither helped me check out legal sources of the anime they had written about nor addressed the massive elephant in the room of making region locks on streaming easier to understand, so it seems pointless. The outdated list of streams links to US and Australian sources but doesn't even tell you which is which. It's a mess.

R

Not to mention the paid service apparently won't remove the ads.

One of the former Kotaku writers is part of Anime Now also.

Rui said:

R

There's another reason to be disappointed. They only promise "a lower frequency" of adverts. The service probably won't be ad-free and there's still no console apps.

I have to say I don't really understand Daisuki's game plan. When they started out, I thought they'd be a useful resource since when the US companies gobbled up the lion's share of rights Daisuki could help Japanese companies broadcast to the rest of the world through a centralised service and help push their promotional messages to boost sales in each region.

What we got, however, was a lame version of Crunchyroll with about 10% of the functionality and 1% of the catalogue.

R

Just Passing Through said:
^^

And the premium only catalogue titles expire on August 31st...

That weird NHK vegetable show stays.

I'm confused about Anime NOW!, it seems to be an attempt to take on ANN, but do people really want a service that looks highly biased, and kinda reads like a glorified PR outlet for it's corporate owners?

Buzz201 said:
I'm confused about Anime NOW!, it seems to be an attempt to take on ANN, but do people really want a service that looks highly biased, and kinda reads like a glorified PR outlet for it's corporate owners?

I'd compare it a little more to something like the Anime Limited or FunimationNOW UK blog - those outlets aren't going to see anyone slagging off shows they hate or find to be terrible, but do give an opportunity to focus on the "bright side" of forthcoming content.

It's more of a complement to neutral sources rather than a rival to them.

I don't mind the bias of Anime Now (there's not a single anime site on the Internet without some kind of massive bias deep down). I do mind that Anime Now aren't really justifying their existence by doing anything different to the established sites and don't seem to understand the issues with worldwide streaming and diverting people to legal sources. If I'm going to add it to my bookmarks I expect to see some unique kind of content other than a vague promise about exclusive articles which are unlikely to be relevant to my interests often enough to keep me visiting.

R

Hanners said:
I'd compare it a little more to something like the Anime Limited or FunimationNOW UK blog - those outlets aren't going to see anyone slagging off shows they hate or find to be terrible, but do give an opportunity to focus on the "bright side" of forthcoming content.

It's more of a complement to neutral sources rather than a rival to them.

That's an interesting way of reading it, but the articles I've read on it, made it sound like a more serious news website. Some also said they planned to list the cast and crew for works, so I kinda read it as an attempt to go after the ANN crowd. I guess that explains why they aren't exactly bothered about sounding more neutral.

Not exactly sure whether to put this in the News Thread or AX thread, but considering it was announced the other day I'll shove it here.

Can't say I'm fond of Saitama's dub voice. He sounds far too monotone here whereas I get more of a goofy vibe from the Japanese voice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back