[Overseas] Otakon 2017 News & Announcements

Mobile Suit Gundam Wing Collector's Edition Set Unveiled:

DHER9KzUIAA_Jih.jpg

CE Contents:
  • 13 Blu-rays - TV Series & Endless Waltz + Frozen Teardrop & Operation Meteor
  • 180-page Artbook
  • 3 Posters
  • 5 Piece Metal Pin Set
  • 5 Artcards
  • 5 Tarot Cards
  • Region A
  • December 5th
  • $269.99 SRP ($175.49 TRSI Price)
Okay, even I'm tempted to abandon the sinking ship that is AL's Gundam releases now.

Kinda sucks for those that have their original set though, skip an important OVA and then re-release the whole thing rather than a standalone OVA release.

I totally agree. I want not happy when I learnt it was not included in the UK release. It's a really important OVA for the series.

I really want to back the Aria kickstarter but no certainty of the sequels puts me off. :(

Rightstuf (Nozomi) Panel: This hand of mine glows with an awesome power!

DHETC-ZUMAEJM6B.jpg

Mobile Fighter G Gundam is coming back in print in 2018 with a Blu-ray version.

I have the biggest shining finger right now...

Glad I didn't import the original funimation release (though it was region locked anyway). Out of curiosity how important is the Redial OAV

When I watched the series and learnt we'd missed an OVA I looked it up, basically explains that very last scene from the series that didn't seem to quite make sense.

(Apologies for the late update, my laptop has finally started to feel old and as such the Wi-Fi is broken, but Eternet works for now)

Discotek Media Panel

We have seven announcements unveiled at the panel.

DHIN3AyUwAAmojd.jpg

Lupin the Third Part IV: The Italian Adventure
This particular title has been hyped up by many, but the actual release is a bit more complicated than we expected. The good news is that it will be a complete series set with all 26 episodes. The bad news is that it's also a weird release pattern. Discotek used the Italian masters for the TMS English dub production and there are differences between the Italian broadcast and the Japanese broadcast. The plus side to all of this is that Discotek will be putting out both versions on Blu-ray, however it will be split up into two different sets similar to other titles like Samurai Pizza Cats. The Italian broadcast will include the English dub while the Japanese broadcast will be subtitled only.

TL;DR - Complete Series set, 2 different versions - Italian master w/Eng Dub, Japanese master w/Eng Sub

Bananya
The cats that live in Bananas have been acquired by Discotek and will also be given an English dub featuring Michael Toole. It will be coming to Blu-ray and DVD.

Cyborg 009: The Cyborg Soldier
Catching the surprise of many, the 2001 TV series adaptation of the Cyborg 009 story has been rescued by Discotek Media. The distributor will be offering the entire 52 episode series on both DVD and SD on BD (Standard Definition on Blu-ray Discs).

Project ARMS
Originally distributed by Viz Media, Discotek have rescued the 52 episode series (technically two seasons) for DVD with both the existing English dub as well as the original Japanese audio with English subtitles.

Hells
A new update for the Madhouse film Hells. An English dub will be produced in collaboration with Team Four Star (of Dragon Ball Z Abridged fame) and Sound Cadence Studios. It isn't a parody but a proper faithful one. The English subtitles will also be updated to fix the mistranslations from the original Japanese Blu-ray release.

Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer
Another update on the second film in the Urusei Yatsura series. The release will have a 16:9 aspect ratio as preferred by director Mamoru Oshii. Both formats will have the English dub from the original master as well as improved English subtitles for the Japanese audio. Extra features include director commentary and theatrical trailers as well as Liner Notes.

NieA_7
The cult anime from the creator of Serial Experiments Lain will be available on Blu-ray and DVD from Discotek. The interesting part is that they will be using a different Blu-ray master to fix the issues that the original Japanese Blu-ray had. The extra bonus videos from the previous Geneon release will also be included.

Ashita no Joe Movie
Discotek have acquired the 1980s remake film of Ashita no Joe. The official English name is currently in approvals but it's under names like Champion Joe and Tomorrow's Joe. The movie will have both Japanese audio with English subtitles and an English dub (with the dub taken from the Tai Seng DVD release). The Blu-ray master is the same transfer as the Japanese Blu-ray Disc release.

Robot Carnival
The classic short films collection is getting a Blu-ray release for the first time. Discotek have teamed up with Justin Sevakis to produce a brand new 2K master of the short films.

Lupin the Third: The Legend of the Gold of Babylon
Licensed in 2005 and never got released until well.. next year. Discotek have finally gone back to this film and will be releasing it on Blu-ray and DVD in 2018.

Lupin the Third Part II: Set 2
A new update for the second part of four of the Part II anime TV series. The set will cover episodes 41-79 which is essentially the remaining dubbed episodes of the series. The video is remastered and the subtitles have been improved. The release will have commentaries and an interview with Richard Epcar.

Last edited:
About 4 eps a disc, plus Endless Waltz and OVAs on a disc.
4 eps per BLU RAY for a 50 episode series just sounds mental.... and unnecessary.

Should be interesting to see if Anime Limited do their own discs.

[Please insert 'by the time they release it humans will have moved on from blu rays' joke here] :p

Back