[Overseas] Anime News & Announcements

3rd season of Sound Euphonium in 2024 woo hoo

Goosebumps. Honestly, I nearly started crying at that teaser. Season 3 was announced just before the arson attack and there's been radio silence since. At this point I was almost convinced that it had been cancelled, which would have been understandable under the circumstances.

Another two years is going to be a long wait, but that's understandable too considering the logistics of making such a technically complex show.
Just read about this via @ultimatemegax on twitter, he’d been hinting there might an announcement today and here it is. So not only do we get a full final season but an ova next year too (I think full length?). This is great news, especially for the studio, it’s not like kyoani haven’t produced other material since the arson attack but this feels like a huge flag in the sand from them.

Edit: So it looks like the ova is based on one of the short stories called The Ensemble Contest and will be medium length, with a blu ray release and limited theatrical screenings.
That is brilliant news indeed! And yes, though Kyoani have done stuff since the arson attack, the announcement of this for some reason does feel more like the start of a new journey for them. Now we just need AL to announce a collector's edition release of season 2!

First behind the scenes video of the One Piece live action....
On the plus side the sets look fantastic.
On the downside the kid playing Luffy really came off as shouty and cringe.
Obviously he's not in character but if that's the level of acting he's bringing my expectations are set accordingly 😂

Who knows, it could be a masterpiece and the next big thing. I'm not writing it off until I've seen it 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
First behind the scenes video of the One Piece live action....
On the plus side the sets look fantastic.
On the downside the kid playing Luffy really came off as shouty and cringe.
Obviously he's not in character but if that's the level of acting he's bringing my expectations are set accordingly 😂

Who knows, it could be a masterpiece and the next big thing. I'm not writing it off until I've seen it 🤷‍♂️

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would sign off on a live-action OP. It's like a disaster waiting to happen, where Netflix's greatest possible outcome is that the show gains a cult following through the already guaranteed cheesy and campy execution. If Cowboy Bebop failed, this is surely doomed as well.

Not that I am against all live-action adaptations (Oldboy exists after all), it's just that they need to go for stuff that can handle the translation to live-action. Monster, for example, is just waiting to be adopted and would probably be awesome. In contrast, most battle shounens aren't made to work all that well with "realism". OP least of all.

I just don't see how this works out long term? The anime is 1000+ episodes and has been on-going for 22 years, and there are parts of the story that are sprinkled in early on that are only picked back up on 100s of episodes later.

Netflix aren't going to a live action version that keeps all those details, and anything that is cut is going to be potentially damaging later on.

What they should've done is just funded an animated version that starts back at the beginning and brings the animation up to a modern standard, and works with Oda to cut out any definite filler, and just dub that. Basically what DBZ Kai should've been.

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would sign off on a live-action OP. It's like a disaster waiting to happen, where Netflix's greatest possible outcome is that the show gains a cult following through the already guaranteed cheesy and campy execution. If Cowboy Bebop failed, this is surely doomed as well.

Not that I am against all live-action adaptations (Oldboy exists after all), it's just that they need to go for stuff that can handle the translation to live-action. Monster, for example, is just waiting to be adopted and would probably be awesome. In contrast, most battle shounens aren't made to work all that well with "realism". OP least of all.
Yeah, Cowboy Bebop failed in its scripts thinking the were better than the source material.
The aesthetic and acting was pretty good for some parts but they added way to much unnecessary boring stuff.

I'll put money right now on them using Buggy far more than he should be and introducing characters the don't show up for 500 chapters. Damn, I'll go all out and predict Ace shows up in season 1 (like they'll get a 2nd...)

Also Guillermo del Toro has been trying to get a Monster series done for about 10yrs but it's just never happened because apparently the author was very protective.
He did recently cave and let the release it digitally, which he'd also been blocking, so maybe the tides are changing 🤷‍♂️

Crunchyroll September 2022 Schedule.

One Limited Edition and One Steelbook Limited Edition this month.

6th September:
RE-MAIN Complete Series (Blu-ray)

13th September:
Back Arrow Part 2 (Blu-ray)

20th September:
Dragon Ball Super Complete Series (Steelbook Limited Edition)
Shadow House Complete Series (Blu-ray)

27th September:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - Mugen Train Arc (Blu-ray)
How A Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom Part 1 (Limited Edition Blu-ray/DVD)
How A Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom Part 1 (Blu-ray/DVD)
Irina: The Vampire Cosmonaut Complete Series (Blu-ray)

704400105814_anime-back-arrow-part-2-blu-ray-primary.jpg704400107702_anime-demon-slayer-kimetsu-no-yaiba-mugen-train-arc-standard-edition-blu-ray-prim...jpg704400106491_anime-dragon-ball-super-complete-series-limited-edition-blu-ray-primary.jpg704400106743_anime-how-a-realist-hero-rebuilt-the-kingdom-part-1-limited-edition-blu-ray-dvd-a...jpg704400106750_anime-how-a-realist-hero-rebuilt-the-kingdom-part-1-blu-ray-primary.jpg704400107092_anime-irina-the-vampire-cosmonaut-blu-ray-dvd-primary.jpg704400106798_anime-re-main-blu-ray-primary.jpg704400106330_anime-shadows-house-blu-ray-primary.jpg

new Naoko Yamada (A Silent Voice, Liz and the Blue Bird etc etc) film next year
Oh my goodness, I'm super-hyped, that woman is a genius! Can't wait. So she's definitely jumped ship to Science Saru it would seem.

new Naoko Yamada (A Silent Voice, Liz and the Blue Bird etc etc) film next year
Oh my goodness, I'm super-hyped, that woman is a genius! Can't wait. So she's definitely jumped ship to Science Saru it would seem.

Sentai FILMWORKS September 2022 schedule.

One Limited Edition and One re-release this month.

6th September:
Magical Warfare Complete Collection (Re-release Blu-ray)

13th September:
Gunbuster The Movie (Blu-ray)
Sayuki Gaiden: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)

20th September:
Girls Und Panzer das Finale Part 3 (Blu-ray)
Seitokai Yakuindomo The Movie 2 (Blu-ray)

27th September:
Dororo: Complete Collection (Limited Edition Blu-ray)
Yuki Yuna is a Hero: Seasons 1-3 Complete Collection (Blu-ray)

kscr8rE.jpgGirls-und-Panzer-das-Finale-Part-3_816726023854_01_00_1012x1080_b2ae88f8-fbb7-43c0-bb2f-71361b...jpg2w5pXwT.jpgMagical-Warfare_816726022758_01_00_1012x1080_7df8f1cf-829f-4065-ac65-7aac2c9b76d1_500x.jpgSaiyuki-Gaiden_816726023458_01_00_1012x1080_d53b0f55-0aa4-4f0f-8148-d66ff582ee8a_500x.jpgSeitokai-Yakuindomo-the-Movie-2_816726024943_01_00_1012x1080_fbdcf682-46df-4a9a-9da8-3e0895ea0...jpgXBRJ1qQ.jpg

Yuki Yuna is a Hero: Seasons 1-3 Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
Now that's a surprise; I was expecting them to release each season separately. That set is going to have a hefty price tag, no doubt, but it's a definite purchase.

Not sure how I feel about having to buy season 3. I'm unlikely to watch all of it again, since most of the story was a major step down from the first two seasons, but on the other hand it's book-ended by a good episode at the beginning and end. Oh well, it will be worth it to finally own the first two seasons.

Nothing for me out of that Sentai lot for September. I already have the standard release of Dororo, and I'm not double dipping for a boxset that costs $130.

Last edited:
Back