[Overseas] Anime News & Announcements

Wayne Grayson (Joey Wheeler, Michaelangelo) will be playing Richard Jones in the Emma dub. They added some previews from his audition.
Update 10: Wayne Grayson Audition Clips! · Let's Dub ALL OF Emma A Victorian Romance Anime TV Series

And a preview for Eleanor. Many have commented that she sounds too old, but this is just from her audition so the end result might sound lighter.
Update 11: We've hit the $135,000 goal! AND we officially have an Eleanor!! · Let's Dub ALL OF Emma A Victorian Romance Anime TV Series

Last edited:
^Still no word on whether or not they will be True HD though. They are apparently 4 discs a season which should rule out SD-BD. So then it's just question if they are Upscales or New Scans.

^Still no word on whether or not they will be True HD though. They are apparently 4 discs a season which should rule out SD-BD. So then it's just question if they are Upscales or New Scans.

I'm praying to god that these are true HD. If these are upscales my world is over. 7 episodes per 50GB disc is like 6.4GBs per episode (if only using 45GBs of the disc since closer to 50 the more failures you get in reproduction) gives me some good hope.

Discotek Day hasn't officially happened but the whole slate has likely leaked on Amazon.com.

[NEW] Elemental Gelade SD-BD
[NEW] Blue Seed SD-BD
God Mars SD-BD

Lupin the Third Legend of the Gold of Babylon DVD
Hells DVD

A solid month, less of the stuff that I personally want from Discotek but all of God Mars for such a cheap price is pretty exciting. I really wonder if next year SD-BD will take off with Funimation, Sentai and Viz jumping on board, I hope so.

In less exciting news apparently the Slayers BDs coming out in Japan are going to be sodding upscales *sigh*. Not only that but the company doing them is King Records who have an appalling record handling upscales i.e Blue Seed and 3x3 Eyes which were both upscaled from composite masters (basically Laserdisc quality).

This is really sad news, I was honestly pretty hopeful about getting a proper HD release after the Movie and OVAs got such wonderful releases. I really hope there is a solid reason as to why they can't do a proper release i.e the film elements just simply don't exist or are heavily damaged, because if not then it's another angry face I'm making at a Japanese company. Honestly they make the western companies look like gods in comparison at times. For the money they charge I cannot even fathom why they don't put in more effort with classic shows. Pretty much every studio and company over there have a handful of upscales of Cel shows on their track record, it's really sad.

In less exciting news apparently the Slayers BDs coming out in Japan are going to be sodding upscales *sigh*. Not only that but the company doing them is King Records who have an appalling record handling upscales i.e Blue Seed and 3x3 Eyes which were both upscaled from composite masters (basically Laserdisc quality).

This is really sad news, I was honestly pretty hopeful about getting a proper HD release after the Movie and OVAs got such wonderful releases. I really hope there is a solid reason as to why they can't do a proper release i.e the film elements just simply don't exist or are heavily damaged, because if not then it's another angry face I'm making at a Japanese company. Honestly they make the western companies look like gods in comparison at times. For the money they charge I cannot even fathom why they don't put in more effort with classic shows. Pretty much every studio and company over there have a handful of upscales of Cel shows on their track record, it's really sad.
And that's why Discoteks Blue Seed SD-BD is using the old masters that ADV made for their dvd release. Justin Sevakis said the materials sent from the licensor were in a right state.

And that's why Discoteks Blue Seed SD-BD is using the old masters that ADV made for their dvd release. Justin Sevakis said the materials sent from the licensor were in a right state.

I think the issue with Slayers is none of its DVD masters are particularlly that good so unless there is a master just sitting around in JP that is decent we're in trouble.

I'm maintaining my pre-order for now, but I'm hoping we get some footage, or something before it releases.

Madman seems to have added a few more titles to its January 2019 release schedule, including TWO Crunchyroll titles. So Madman now also has Blood Blockade Battlefront and Beyond, Free! Season 1, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, and Seven Deadly Sins Season 1. Interesting that Dragon Maid is also a DVD/BD combo as well.

Fruits basket also. I wonder if this is because the partnership is over.
Didn't mention Fruits Basket because it's a re-release. If it is because of the partnership, that could mean that Dragon Maid and Free! got transferred to Funimation as the other 3 are Funimation titles, since Madman doesn't work with Crunchyroll for titles. (plus it would make sense for Free! to be transferred since Funi has all other seasons and films)

They also announced Testament for jan which is a CR title so...
As maybe if CR and FUNi are separate again they both separately traded with madman. Or yeah Free S1 was given as they had the rest which is kinda plausible

Back