[Overseas] Anime Expo 2018 / 4th-8th July 2018 / News & Announcements

Some new announcements:​

Dark Horse
Elfen Lied manga series is coming to the west in English. Volume 1 will be available in May 2019.

JAST USA
The visual novel distributor have introduced a Boys Love label recently called JAST BLUE and the first titles revealed for the label are the following:
  • Nitro+CHiRAL's togainu no chi
  • Lamento -Beyond the Void-
  • DRAMAtical Murder games
The main label will also be releasing the following:
  • Flowers autumn
  • Kimi to Kanojo to Kanojo no Koi

Kodansha Comics
Harold Sakuishi's Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad manga and Seven Shakespeares manga will be heading to digital services for purchase or for free if you’re an Amazon Prime or ComiXology or Kindle Unlimited member. Beck's first 14 volumes are available with volumes 15-34 incoming.

NIS America
The video game distributor have announced a few more games that will be published by them for the west:
  • The Caligula Effect: Overdose - PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, PC - Early 2019
  • The Princess Guide (Your Four Knight Princesses Training Story) - PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch - Early 2019
  • RPG Maker MV - PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch - 2019
Thankfully Falcom has been saved for now.

Sentai Filmworks
The following titles coming this Summer season:
  • 100 Sleeping Princes and the Kingdom of Dreams
  • Mr. Tonegawa Middle Management Blues
  • Revue Starlight
  • The Thousand Musketeers
The following titles getting the English Dubcast treatment:
  • Mr. Tonegawa Middle Management Blues
  • Real Girl
  • Tada Never Falls in Love
Home video titles getting the English dub:
  • My Girlfriend is ShoBitch
  • Takunomi
  • UQ Holder
Other Notes:
  • K-On! Limited Edition will be up for pre-order today
  • Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! the Movie: Take on Me will be up for pre-order soon
  • No Game No Life Zero Limited Edition is 75% sold out
  • MIA2018 for free shipping on Shop Sentai Filmworks, expires 12th July

I seriously don't understand Anime Companies these days. Like it's the biggest Convention in the United States, why not announce something interesting and big? (assuming they have anything).

Especially now that these things are streaming online, for a long while it kinda made sense not to bother with announcements at conventions once the internet and Social Media really got going. But now I feel like it makes some sense again. Sentai have been utterly pointless at this Expo for the last few years, they all have pretty much. It's just a really negative way of presenting the company. Asking people to sit in a room for an hour while they waffle on awkwardly about things that anyone paying even the slightest bit of attention already knows.

I sound abit ranty I guess but it's more that I just don't understand why they are bothering with these things anymore. Better to just do Dub Panels with whatever VAs they can get into a room for bit and a Q&A for the VAs and Sentai themselves at the end. I feel thats far better for those attending (who i always feel sorry for at the end of a Panel like that). Pretty sure Sentai have now hyped up Dub announcements as Big or Huge prior to their panel for the last couple of years now.

I seriously don't understand Anime Companies these days. Like it's the biggest Convention in the United States, why not announce something interesting and big? (assuming they have anything).

Especially now that these things are streaming online, for a long while it kinda made sense not to bother with announcements at conventions once the internet and Social Media really got going. But now I feel like it makes some sense again. Sentai have been utterly pointless at this Expo for the last few years, they all have pretty much. It's just a really negative way of presenting the company. Asking people to sit in a room for an hour while they waffle on awkwardly about things that anyone paying even the slightest bit of attention already knows.

I sound abit ranty I guess but it's more that I just don't understand why they are bothering with these things anymore. Better to just do Dub Panels with whatever VAs they can get into a room for bit and a Q&A for the VAs and Sentai themselves at the end. I feel thats far better for those attending.
Yeah it's average at best I won't lie about that. However I would say that Tonegawa is a pretty big one, specifically because it's a Kaiji spin-off series and even dubbed no less. This could provide a window of opportunity to acquire Akagi and Kaiji later down the line.

Yeah I don’t get why they do panels unless it’s a meet a cast etc. As simulcasts etc are Online news and would do better if they just tweeted it out

Yeah it's average at best I won't lie about that. However I would say that Tonegawa is a pretty big one, specifically because it's a Kaiji spin-off series and even dubbed no less. This could provide a window of opportunity to acquire Akagi and Kaiji later down the line.
For me it was more stuff can simulcast on CR then Sentai can get it so raises hope for Food Wars again

I have my fingers crossed but I'm not very hopeful. I mean I'd take subbed DVDs of Kaiji at this point. I mean S2 only got a DVD release in Japan.

Hopefully Maiden Japan will be much better. The guy who runs them is the same dude that ran ADV back in the day if I'm not mistaken. He's pretty old-school as are alot of their releases. I would love for them to be a Discotek lite, I mean Discotek have been so mega successful considering I'm actually really surprised they don't have a clear competitor at this point.

Also curious about the Kraken Releasing side and if we'll get more tokusatsu or in my dreams the Live Action Patlabor stuff.

Back