Our Favourite CLAMP Series: Manga and Anime

I haven't watched xxxholic in so long! Now I really want to revisit it. I may see if anyone in the various simulwatch threads would want to watch it. May be a good one to watch in October in the run up to Halloween.

Only seen and read one CLAMP story. CLOVER doesn't really count as pointed out it never finished, I mean it barely even started!
That one was Chobits which had some good comedy (and some duff "comedy") and some good characters, but not the most satisfying of endings.
The OP for the anime was a bop:
Let me be with you!

Chobits was my first encounter with Clamp, and still holds a fond place in my heart even after 20 years. I have also watched and enjoyed Xxxholic (will we ever see the final episodes released on DVD/BR?) and Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle. Will soon delve into my boxset of Cardcaptor Sakura, to see what all the fuss was about. ;)

I have seen xxxHolic, Chobits, and Blood-C, and really enjoyed all of them, although truthfully I'm not really a fan of the Clamp art style that much. I'm still waiting anxiously to get the Blood-C Ultimate Delay set from AlltheAnime, but I've owned the US LE boxset and Last Dark movie since they were first released over here. I also have the X series on DVD, and the S.A.V.E. Blu-rays for Tsubasa Chronicles I just recently got on a whim when they were on sale, but I have not seen either of those series yet. I really do want to see X, though. Looks like they also did character designs for Code Geass - again I have the Blu-rays for the series and movies, but have not watched any of that series yet either. I'm not even remotely interested in Cardcaptor Sakura, so I probably won't care for Tsubasa Chronicles either.

I've also imported Japanese B2-sized release posters for xxxHolic, Chobits, Blood-C, and X...

xxxHolic Japanese Poster
Chobits Japanese Poster
Chobits Japanese Poster #2
Blood-C Last Dark Japanese Poster
X the Movie Japanese Poster

Last edited:
I'm not even remotely interested in Cardcaptor Sakura, so I probably won't care for Tsubasa Chronicles either.
If you've got the S.A.V.E. Blu-rays for Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, I wonder if you've also bought the OVA set, containing Tokyo Revelations and Spring Thunder. These are a great improvement on the main anime series (IMHO) and could be regarded as self-contained stories. Maybe. I haven't watched them in a long while but I remember them being much more tautly told and better drawn and animated. It's still the CLAMP art style, though, so if you're not a fan, it might not appeal. (It's also interesting to compare the series for which CLAMP did the character designs (but didn't write the screenplay) such as Code Geass with their own projects, like Chobits and xxxHolic.)

I think so, I believe it was 3 Blu-rays, I'd have to check my anime spreadsheet.. opens up spreadsheet. Ok, yes, Season 1, Season 2, and the OVA Collection S.A.V.E Editions. I got all three on sale for $60 total I think when they were going OOP, so I just grabbed them for the heck of it, adding them on to an order I was getting ready to submit.

And it's not that I am turned off by the Clamp art style, it's just not something I necessarily would prefer. I suppose it has it's charms, to some extent... :)

Last edited:
I think so, I believe it was 3 Blu-rays, I'd have to check my anime spreadsheet.. opens up spreadsheet. Ok, yes, Season 1, Season 2, and the OVA Collection S.A.V.E Editions. I got all three on sale for $60 total I think when they were going OOP, so I just grabbed them for the heck of it, adding them on to an order I was getting ready to submit.

And it's not that I am turned off by the Clamp art style, it's just not something I necessarily would prefer. I suppose it has it's charms, to some extent... :)
That was a very good buy! :)

Did you read this

Also I really hope tsubasa eventually comes back on dvd to the uk. I've got the original season 1 set on dvd but then revelation films got out of anime and I've waited years. When ever I go to the anime limited booth at comic con I always ask about it as they'd be the most likely to get it.

Back