Original Dirty Pair TV series licensed

Professor Irony

CYBER FUNKER
According to ANN, Nozomi Entertainment has licensed the original Dirty Pair TV series for a release in the form of two box sets, the first of which is slated for late fall 2010.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... -stuf-adds

I may weep openly; frankly, I would have put money on this never happening. There was a very nice fansub re-release underway, but as it seems to have ground to a halt at episode four, a proper DVD set is more than welcome.

HOLY. CRAP.

Never thought this would happen, not in a zillion years.

With Nozomi releasing Dirty Pair TV and Discotek releasing Fist of the North Star TV, it seems 2010 is the year of 80s anime revival. At this rate it's only a matter of time before we get Urusei Yatsura and Patlabor on Blu-ray =P

fabricatedlunatic said:
HOLY. CRAP.

Never thought this would happen, not in a zillion years.

With Nozomi releasing Dirty Pair TV and Discotek releasing Fist of the North Star TV, it seems 2010 is the year of 80s anime revival. At this rate it's only a matter of time before we get Urusei Yatsura and Patlabor on Blu-ray =P
Uh, is there a point to puting old shows on blu ray like that outside of the "it's never going to happen" idea of puting a season on the one disk?

I was under the impression that film blowing up doesn't work that way for Old TV shows.

ilmaestro said:
Awesome news. Surprised ayase hasn't posted in this thread yet. ^_^
Wasn't here late last night, I was drinking.

F*CKING HELL YES!

Now I think I'll drink some more to celebrate! =D

Under normal circumstances, this would make me sign up for a rightstuf account straight away, throwing caution to the wind and happily scanning my credit card in... But I don't know where I'm going to be living by the time these are released (I'll almost certainly have moved twice by then) meaning I can't pre-order. AAARGH!

I character battled and then disappeared, this hadn't been posted yet and was a pleasant surprise when I woke up at about... 2pm today.

This is interesting news.

Now I must ask the following: The episodes I have seen of this seemed not to indicate the presence of an overarching plot. Are the assumptions warranted by these impressions accurate?

Zin5ki said:
Now I must ask the following: The episodes I have seen of this seemed not to indicate the presence of an overarching plot. Are the assumptions warranted by these impressions accurate?
Indeed your assumptions are correct. Dirty Pair is no more complex than the our Lovely Angels Kei & Yuri kicking ass and causing destruction in a most entertaining manner. With awesome 80s visuals and soundtrack. Back when strong women appealed to people rather than moeblobs. You know you want it.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/38qeJPXPcWM&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/38qeJPXPcWM&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MIhoLehmIlI&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MIhoLehmIlI&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Excuse me while I go watch the Films & OVAs again. Damn I want the 80s back.

Ayase - it appears with your every post that you and I are on the same wavelength. 'Awesome 80s visuals' - weren't they just?

I just had a discussion with somebody who was arguing that animation looks much better now than it ever has. I really disagree, Everything looked so much more fluid and graceful in the '80s. I despair of the prevalence of shows now using static images, 'cardboard cut-out' elements and jarring CG.

You just gave me another reason to pick this up, dude!

I don't think it was all gravy back then, but there were some exceptionally good looking series. The Dirty Pair is certainly one of them.

It's just speculation, but I get the feeling that the popular trend in character designs at the time erred more towards realism than it does now.

Hurrm... I'd say there was just as much diversity in styles then as there is now (and granted, there was a lot of unremarkable stuff).

I got started on the whole 'quality of animation' thing a few weeks back while watching Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory. I'd just finished series 1 of Gundam 00, which is very pretty to look at - but Stardust Memory knocked it into a cocked hat. Everything moved on screen so much better.

And is it just me, or does the occasional grainy, washed-out VHS quality transfer sometimes feel more appealing than a bells-and-whistles remaster or HD ready show?

0083 was a 13 episode OVA back when OVAs really were *O*VAs, and had the production values to match. It was going head-to-head with Record of Lodoss War and there was incentive to look as good as possible. Gundam 00, despite its high profile, is still "just" a long TV series, and never going to live up to that standard animation-wise.

Back