One Piece premieres tomorrow

IanC said:
Zoro > Zolo is not a name change really.

It might not be but its alittle annoying, but it was the same in teh Viz translation.

I noticed they changed the 'wine barrel' to a 'water barrel, thats too heavy to contain water'.

Anyone spot the Pokemon and Digimon VA's? Or they sure reminded me of some characters, anyway:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388629/

And yes, Mew Mew Power wasn't _that bad_. Much better than the original 'Hollywood Mew Mew' idea they had. But I still agree with what Paul wrote.

EDIT:
Zoro's VA did Guts in the english Beserk Animation, but the most appear on Sonic X, Pokemon and Ultimate Muscle.

Colin said:
Miaka-chan said:
They (being translaters/dubbers) change all "R's" to "L's", doesn't even matter if it's not a case of the Japanese mispronouncing their "L's"!! We're lucky Rei Ayanami and Rei Hino aren't Lei
But if it's a Japanese word then it's not a case of changing an R to an L, it's just a matter of choosing one or the other when romanising. Neither is really more correct than the other, although R tends to be chosen more often by convention.

Probably, but it's not necessary in all cases. If you're used to a character being called Rui and it's changed to Louie (as in HYD) to accomodate this, that's just plain annoying! Plus Urara sensei becomes Miss Ulala, how lame is that!!

Like I said, it sounds like it's totally square to have liked One Piece now :/ The deadline for getting friends interested has now officially passed because One Piece is out in the public domain in some disfigured way. Zolo instead of Zoro? lol! I thought 4kids were just money-grabbing chumps but apparently they're blessed with sh*t-for-brains as well :)

Shenny said:
Anyone spot the Pokemon and Digimon VA's? Or they sure reminded me of some characters, anyway:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388629
I havn't looked to see who did what but i defiantly heard Brock's voice doing that introduction, Lyserg's voice as Luffy, possibly Misty somewhere (or am i thinking of Azumanga Diaoh there), and who else....i can't remember. The dub was ok for me....although i could probably see Luffy's laugh annoying me a bit. Something that did have a bit of an annoying dub though was the other thing i watched yesterday, Azumanga Diaoh....i mean how many voices does the person who did Yolei's dub in Digimon actually do, half the characters sounded the same.

Anyway back to the topic. I actually enjoyed One Piece because i suppose it's my kind of thing (i can like the commercial anime as much as the rest often), also because i really knew nothing about it before hand i have no idea what had been changed so i can enjoy it for what it is (this would almost cirtainly be different if i had known what had been changed beforehand). I'm not a huge fan of the character design but i don't think it will hinder my viewing in this case. I don't know about the characters personalities yet but i'm hoping that Nami won't turn out to be one of those bossy, overbearing girls i can't stand.
All in all it was a fine first episode for me, not amazingly gripping but still entertaining, i'm looking forward to the next episode and disappointed it's only shown Monday, Wednesday and Friday

kupoartist said:
Zolo instead of Zoro? lol! I thought 4kids were just money-grabbing chumps but apparently they're blessed with sh*t-for-brains as well
I seem to recall reading that they were worried that "Zoro" might infringe on the intellectual property rights of Zorro. I'm not quite sure how, but I suppose 4Kids would rather minimise the risk of being sued. I still fail to see why it's such a big deal, although it did annoy me that Viz changed their minds after four volumes of manga.

Miaka-chan said:
Probably, but it's not necessary in all cases. If you're used to a character being called Rui and it's changed to Louie (as in HYD) to accomodate this, that's just plain annoying! Plus Urara sensei becomes Miss Ulala, how lame is that!!
I don't see why they ought to take what you're used to into account when romanising names. It's certainly possible that the original author intended for the names to be romanised a certain way (like "Louie" over "Rui"), and passed this onto the US company. And what makes "Urara" better than "Ulala"?

Colin said:
I don't see why they ought to take what you're used to into account when romanising names. It's certainly possible that the original author intended for the names to be romanised a certain way (like "Louie" over "Rui"), and passed this onto the US company. And what makes "Urara" better than "Ulala"?
That's not what I meant! His name is Rui, the same as Rei is Rei!!
If we were talking comedy, then yes, Miss Ulala would sound appropriate! but this is drama and as you can imagine, with the American/Canadian accents, it comes out Ooh-lala, which sounds erotic and damned stupid!
The character in question was created especially for the anime, so I have no manga guide but she is a very serious woman in her early 30's(?) with glasses, therefore there is no need for a sexy sounding name, so Urara would have been much better! (Plus reading the manga-ka's comment columns in the manga, again she had little or no say how the anime was made).
And as I mentioned earlier, I'm sure all the EVA fans would be just as disgruntled with Rei Ayanami suddenly becoming Lei (or even worse, to make it more American Leigh) Ayanami :?:

Miaka-chan said:
And as I mentioned earlier, I'm sure all the EVA fans would be just as disgruntled with Rei Ayanami suddenly becoming Lei (or even worse, to make it more American Leigh) Ayanami
But my point was that it isn't a change. It's not like they've started calling her one thing and then changed it to something else (well, I assume not, anyway). Where has she ever been called Urara?

Colin said:
Miaka-chan said:
And as I mentioned earlier, I'm sure all the EVA fans would be just as disgruntled with Rei Ayanami suddenly becoming Lei (or even worse, to make it more American Leigh) Ayanami
But my point was that it isn't a change. It's not like they've started calling her one thing and then changed it to something else (well, I assume not, anyway). Where has she ever been called Urara?
The anime!

I'm now rather confused. You said she was an anime-only character, and that she was called "Urara" in the anime. Where, then is she called "Ulala"? I fear I have missed something rather fundamental in this discussion.

Back