One Piece premieres tomorrow

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
One Piece will be premiering on Toonami UK tomorrow (Monday, 11th April) at 5pm and will then be repeated at 7.30pm.

ive got work so im going to miss this. oh well i wont really looking forward to it much anyway but i will have to check what its like when got the time.

Shenny said:
4Kids must die!

I stall havn't forgiven them for raping Tokyo Mew Mew with a rusty fork.
Expect that Mew Mew Power is one of there best dubs to date? and is relatively unedited?

Well its on now.
Lets see what its like

OK the rap is worse than i thought

But the voices dont sound as bad as everyone seems to be making them out to be.

Cant say ive noticed any "obvious" edits yet. I mean they kept in Nami kicking a guy right where it hurts lol

Over all not bad so far (first half)

(aside-Toonami UK are still advertising Big O, which is on today at 8:30PM)

2nd half. Pretty much the same as the first half really.
OMG Zolo not Zoro!! (that was a joke comment)

Cool, a next episode preview!!

Over all, not bad. Me thinks i may like this show

I have to think that all the badness ive heard about this is simply the anti-4kids nutters making it sound worse than it is.

Well just finished watching it myself , didnt particularly enjoy it . But this isnt down to the edits ( really had no idea what was edited actually ) , I dont think the uncut version would have been something for me either. Quite simply I hated the charecter designs a great deal .
That said I actually found it ok enough to sit through the whole episode , I couldnt manage that with Rave Master.

I actually quite like Rave Master, but One Piece didn't do much for me with the first episode. The voice acting wasn't all that bad but the audio track was way too obviously cartoony and the rap was worse than it seemed in the previews. Not a big fan of the visual style either, obviously that's not 4Kids fault, like MangaMinX I don't think the uncut version would be a favourite of mine either. Nonetheless, this was only the first episode so I'll watch a few more and see if it grows on me.

About Mew Mew Power, there may not be any major edits, but there are a lot of small ones. However I'll wait until I see it myself before I pass judgement (although I can't say I think much of the name changes).

Apparently a lot of reviews say that the first 10-20 eps aren't up to much. Its supposed to get better and better. I only caught the last 10mins. I'm usually prefer dubs over subs, but the dub here sounded too cartoony and kiddy.

I suppose it depends on how highly you value original Japanese animation, but for me, 4Kids have rendered One Piece unwatchable. For a start, I'm not a dub fan, but I would have been happy to tune in and support One Piece anyway; however, when you factor in the wholesale soundtrack mutilation (I love how the Japanese integrate music into their shows) along with stupid character name changes and the infamous episode editing/manipulation, it's just about destroyed any interest I had in watching One Piece. I wish I could be more enthusiastic about this, but I just can't, 4Kids are rubbish.

IanC said:
Zoro > Zolo is not a name change really.

You wouldnt of wanted to watch it anyway Paul. Dubs suck arcording to you :roll:

Given the context of the name Zoro, it's a pretty major name change. Zoro is a mythical name and conjures up images all on its own, Zolo sounds like an Arsenal football player. Let's not get carried away though, this name change is just the tip of the iceberg.

And I think you'd be hard pressed to find me saying "dubs suck", Ian. I simply don't watch them and hence, have no opinion either way. However, as you seem have missed in my above post, I would have been happy to watch One Piece dubbed if the show wasn't so hit in other areas too.

IanC said:
They (being translaters/dubbers) change all "R's" to "L's", doesn't even matter if it's not a case of the Japanese mispronouncing their "L's"!! We're lucky Rei Ayanami and Rei Hino aren't Lei :lol:

......and sorry, no I didn't watch it, don't have SKY but most probably would have given it a go, as although it isn't a show I would spend money on, I would have tuned in if I still could :(

Miaka-chan said:
IanC said:
They (being translaters/dubbers) change all "R's" to "L's", doesn't even matter if it's not a case of the Japanese mispronouncing their "L's"!! We're lucky Rei Ayanami and Rei Hino aren't Lei :lol:

......and sorry, no I didn't watch it, don't have SKY but most probably would have given it a go, as although it isn't a show I would spend money on, I would have tuned in if I still could :(

You didnt miss much :wink:

Actually, he was called Zoro in the first editions of vols 1-4 of the manga, then they changed it to Zolo for the reprints and later volumes.

Miaka-chan said:
They (being translaters/dubbers) change all "R's" to "L's", doesn't even matter if it's not a case of the Japanese mispronouncing their "L's"!! We're lucky Rei Ayanami and Rei Hino aren't Lei
But if it's a Japanese word then it's not a case of changing an R to an L, it's just a matter of choosing one or the other when romanising. Neither is really more correct than the other, although R tends to be chosen more often by convention.

Back