OK, I'm hoping to get 1 anime series this year...

Which would you recommend?

• Last Exile

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

• Noir

• Wait for (this show), which is coming later out this year (specify show)

• Total voters

subedii

Great Teacher
I would like to buy more (who wouldn't :mrgreen: ) of course, but a budget's a budget.

Basically, I've narrowed my selection down to 3 shows:

Last Exile:-

Seen about half this series in an anime club and really like it so far. Well done characters and an interesting setting. Problem is though that I've heard the ending isn't too brilliant.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex:-

Honestly, I didn't think too much of the movie itself, it seemed rushed and incomplete. But I've been a big time fan of sci-fi and cyberpunk since I was a kid. Since the series has much more time to develope itself (and plus dvdvisionjapan.com rated it their show of the year), I think I could get into it.

Noir:-

I've heard from a lot of sources that this is a great show with a great soundtrack. I don't mind serious themes, and I don't really mind violence unless it's really tastelessly done (unless we're talking cheesy schlock horror, which is beside the point anyway).

Anyway, of the three, I'm currently leaning towards Noir. Mainly becuase I've heard that unlike a lot of anime shows, it has a well done ending. Now to me, this is where a lot of anime falls down. One of the things that can really destroy a good show for me is a crap ending.

Aside from that, it's meant to be a good, stylish, and in-depth show with a good soundtrack. Plus, right about now, it's possible to order for about £10 a volume, which is quite a significant plus.

Price aside though, I don't even want a half price show if it isn't that good. Which is why I'm asking for opinions. I'd like to hear your thoughts on some of these shows.

So, what do you guys think?

EDIT: Oh, and as a final note, I don't really like anything that's heavy on the 'fan-service', which I've heard might be the case with Noir. Is it?

I voted for Last Exile as i Think it is the best of the lot up there. this one dose not have any fanservice and is very enjoyable, try this one.

I went for Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. It's the full package as far as mature, intelligent cyber-punk goes. And an amazing soundtrack provided by Yoko Kanno of Bebop fame too.

Noir, I haven't seen, but have only heard good things about.

Last Exile is a great series, but I agree, it peters out towards the end.

OK I've gone for Noir because it is a fantastic series, and the soundtrack is phenomenal (have all 3 ost's on cd)

but really all those series are good. I myself am in the process of collecting both Gits: SAC & last exile. haven't heard too much about last exile or how it ends (at least not until this thread), buty everything I've heard about how SAC continues is just amazing.

But kinda hard to give a great recommendation about what to buy when I'm unaware of what you already own, and the genres you like. But if you were to hold off purchasing a series till later in the year I would go with Full Metal Alchemist - that is my highly anticipated title of choice for 2005!

otaku_kei said:
But kinda hard to give a great recommendation about what to buy when I'm unaware of what you already own, and the genres you like. But if you were to hold off purchasing a series till later in the year I would go with Full Metal Alchemist - that is my highly anticipated title of choice for 2005!

I'd go with that suggestion too :D

Last Exile , or others have mentioned hang on for Full Metal Alchemist.

Noir is my favourite on that list but I cant wholeheatedly recommend it to everyone as its a slow paced story and not everyones thing.

Full Metal Alchemist would be the choice, but at least 3 volumes of GITS will be out before FMA starts appearing, and GITS deserves watching as well. Plus if you're big on endings, the ending to the first series is fantastic.
I'm tempted to rave about it more than that, but I don't want to hype it up too much.

Going on thew strength of whats been said, I think I'll probably go with GitS.

As for FMA, yes I have been considering it, but I just don't think I can justify it budget wise. It's a 50 odd episode series, so it's going to run at roughly twice the number of DVD's as GitS. Although I might get it in the end anyway, but like Capuchin said, It's going to be a while before it gets here anyway. Maybe I'll reserve that for my next years viewing.

Of course, if I really like Stand Alone Complex, I'll probably be tempted to get 2nd gig anyway.

Incidentally, is SAC as heavy on the fan-service as the movie was or what?

Actually the series may be more fan-service heavy than the movie. So far the series hasnt had any full on nudity like the film, but its the constant wandering around in a leotard, and some of the choice of camera angles that leads me to that conclusion.

I guess it just depends on what offends you more. or whether you are after the fanservice

I have a strong dislike of fan service in anime, but it hasn't really bothered me in Stand Alone Complex. To be honest, I haven't even noticed it that much, since it's only 'the Major' anyway. It's not overplayed and is never referenced by the characters.

I'd strongly suggest Last Exile (and I'm glad to see it's won most of the votes so far!). The ending isn't brilliant, but it's still enjoyable. The thing with Last Exile is that it'll either click with you or it won't; and if you've watched the most part of it and enjoyed it, then I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy the rest!

Paul said:
I have a strong dislike of fan service in anime, but it hasn't really bothered me in Stand Alone Complex. To be honest, I haven't even noticed it that much, since it's only 'the Major' anyway. It's not overplayed and is never referenced by the characters.

Yeah, I also have a dislike of fan-service. It just seems tacky and stupid.

Anyway, like I said, I'm going for SAC. I'm already likely to get to see the whole series of Last Exile anyway, so it's not as if I there's a pressing need to buy that instead. It can afford to wait for a bit. :mrgreen:

i voted for Last Exile, because it is made by the same studio who produced "Peacemaker", which is an exellent series. also Last Exile for some reason, when i read and watch clips about it i get the same feeling of when i watched Full Metal Alchemist, so i guess that must be a Good Feeling! :eek:

Well I just finished my first volume of Stand Alone Complex and have to say I'm happy with my purchase. Sure there are some technical faults with the subtitling, but all in all I was impressed with the release.

The visuals and animation are crisp and clean, they look awesome. The soundtrack is great, and for once, I'm even impressed with the DVD menu's (I don't know what animeondvd were talking about when they said that was dissapointing, those menus are cool).

As for the show itself, I'm glad to see that the characters have a lot more... well... character, than they did in the original movie. I didn't really like the movie all that much, but this series I definitely think, is something that I can get into.

Back