Not a bad start, I hope you'll agree...?

where's my cow?

School Idol
This is the second ever attempt at drawing anything and putting some effort into it... (The first was a smaller, more rushed version of the same) And its basically just a copy from a website I found:

http://animeworld.com/howtodraw/faces.html

But I'm quite proud of it, and I haven't had any feedback from the people I've emailed it to so I was looking for some encouragement here :wink:

(Oh yeah, and I've changed my name from Simon_the_newbie, it was only a temporary name until I found something better. This new one is from a Prachett book, and it's here to stay!)

You have done a good job here, of course with practice, you could become much better, i hope to see some more of your work

You did a great attempt! It's tres 1337!

Though I don't think the actual face they use on the tutorial was very good..lol. The eyes on the tutorial is a bit lifeless and 'straight'. Personally I think it's best if you use your own style, I don't use any guidelines on my pictures as it's too much hassle and then it doesn't turn out right all the time. But keep practicing because I want to see more pictures! :D
________
SUBARU R2 SPECIFICATIONS

Yeah I know what you mean about the eyes, but I've found a new way of doing them as well now!

Cheers for the comments, and I'm glad that no one's sugar coating it. Be honest, I appreciate it! Early days still, so I know I'm not going to draw anything ground breaking... Yet... :wink:

thats realy good. Im good at copying pictures but im hopeless at coming up with them :cry: but again as all the other coolio pepole have been saying, keep practising and U WILL BECOME THE MASTER!!!! most proberly :lol:

fatandy said:
thats realy good. Im good at copying pictures but im hopeless at coming up with them :cry: but again as all the other coolio pepole have been saying, keep practising and U WILL BECOME THE MASTER!!!! most proberly :lol:

PS. im not being sarcastic by the way i realy mean it just because i put the laughfing thing at the end :) soz :oops:

Very good :)

I aswell tend to ignore most peoples guidelines as everybody seems to have their own style. The only time I take lessons as they are is from any of the How To Draw series and mebby Jakeman ;)

Nothing against you but I dont like the ears (there too small) , I notice there the same on the website that you were using so oh well, Any way I always get scolded for drawing my ears too big. anyways tis really good for a first effort ^.- Love and Peace! never give up and all that other semi-inspirational stuff

Don't worry about being mean and critical! It's the only way I'll learn! Lol! I must try and get some of my newer pics online somehow... They're much better (although I'll always like this one, probably cos I'll always see it through rose-tinted glasses as my first effort!)

I generally don't like ears at all, so I try to keep them covered up as much as possible with the hair!

Cheers for the comments! It's pretty hard to offend me so don't worry! (But that wasn't a challenge!!! I don't want a string of abuse! Lol!)

Finally managed to get some more up! (And they've got bigger ears this time Smokitt! Lol)

These are all using the book by Ben Krefta. A pretty useful book for complete beginners, cos it takes you through each feature step by step! I'm very proud of these, but I know I've still got a very long way to go (like, anywhere below the shoulder!!!) Be nice to hear your comments. I'll try to update this as often as I can so you can follow my progres... If you want! :)

I can see your progress from your first one, the first and third i think are the best, i think the hair on both is especially good.

Oh hears a good tip, if you hold your picture up to the light and look at it from behind you can see better if everything on your faces looks in the right places (that rhymes, lol), i would do this more often myself if my paper wasn't completely Opaque, lol

I've finally got my scanner working! Hooray!!! Here's an update of some of the better stuff I've drawn since, I think I'm getting better slowly but surely!

One's a self-portrait, well, more a picture of the way I think of myself (I actually wear glasses, but I didn't want to put them in the pic, cos I don't really like em too much) and the other two are characters for a Manga I might one day start to put together, when I'm confident enough!

Any comments would be appreciated, and as always be honest: if you think something's terrible, let me know how I can improve! :)

They're really quite good. :D

Apart from the usual mantra of practice, practice etc... (something I really should take more notice of myself, but hey), I'd say to try and pay a little more notice to the body and the way the clothes hang from it.

The way I'm doing this at present is to draw the body shape and then work the clothes on top. Then, once I've got the hang of that properly, I can go to just drawing the clothes straight off. Adding realistic folds etc will really help bring your characters to life.

That, and work on your hands. Feet can always he hidden in shoes, but hands are really important. I still can't draw them in situ, but I'm working on it, and I think it'll really make a big difference once I get it right!

Keep up the good work. :wink:

Thanks Siobhan! :D I really should keep trying to focus on particular parts (like you did with your hands and feet) rather than rushing a full figure... Ah well, that's what page margains are for in lectures! :wink:

Drew this one today: two more characters from my manga! These two are mercenaries, and the other two were simple farmers/villagers. Again, they're not perfect, but hey, it's still early days for me!

Yeh I like the character design. The only advise I can give you is to practice. Try drawing from real life, if someone wont let you draw them then use yourself and a mirror. Only when you can draw the human figure should you try to stylise it. Also try copying drawing that you lile, dont trace them or youll miss the point. Other than that, keep it up.

Ooooooooooh, I'm getting better! Lol (and if I can do it, anyone can!)

I think the people of Southampton are worried about/afraid of me because I've been paying quite a bit of attention to folds in clothes lately... So here's my first full attempt at putting it into practice. I decided not to use colour in this one, and I think I paid off!

I know it's still not perfect (the shoulders are a bit big, for one thing) but I'm very pleased with it! What do y'all think???

You're not wandering round with a camera, are you...? :roll:

That's coming along very well, you're improving very quickly. I suppose as far as criticism goes, I would say that perhaps you've overdone it a little with the folds on the sleeves, a little tends to go a long way unless clothing is meant to be very baggy, and folds will always pull from stress points.

However, I think you've got the clothing on the torso pretty much perfect, as well as getting her chest right. It curves into her waist realistically, and it's nice to see a guy who doesn't try and draw giant balloons.... :wink:

So, very well done.

Back