Nominations Out for the Crunchyroll Anime Awards

Of the nominations, which anime did/would you vote for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

D1tchd1gger

Shrine Maiden
The nominations are out for the Crunchyroll Anime Awards:

I'll have to have a more detailed look later, but a quick word on the Anime of the Year nominations. Dorohedoro was good, but not AotY worthy and APPARE-RANMAN definitely isn't. JUJUTSU KAISEN has been good, but the series is only half way through, if we're going to do that I would have gone for Chihayafuru 3, but that's probably a very personal pick.

I thought it would be cool to add a poll to see how people voted for AotY, so please vote for the same show that you do in the CAA or your favourite even if you don't vote for the CAA.

Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! was my favourite of the year from episode 1 (cemented by episode 4) all the way back in Winter season a year ago and only a handful got anywhere near.

Last edited:
I went for Keep Your Hands Off, but honestly I think that and potentially Great Pretender are the only ones that deserve it among that batch. Personally I think Deca Dance should have been in there...

My top 10 is very comedy focused, even the more serious shows I liked had comedic moments. So yeah Eizouken and Great Pretender are the only 2 that I had to choose from. The rest of my top 10 in no particular order are: BOFURI, Kaguya-sama s2, Princess Connect, Budoukan, Villainess, Golden Kamuy s3, Sleepy Princess, and Interspecies Reviewers 😏

I went for Keep Your Hands Off
Results say Great Pretender. Did you change your mind last minute or was that a mistake. I set it so you can't change your vote!

Huh, I've not seen a single thing from the AotY poll selection.
3 of them are on Netflix, which I guess could be a problem. I definitely would say you should watch them if you do: Great Pretender, Dorohedoro and Beastars.

Jujutsu Kaisen is a good Shounen, especially the action, and Eizouken is a must watch for anyone who is passionate about anime, which I'm guessing is the vast vast majority of people here, both are on Crunchyroll.

I was put off seeing Eizouken back when it was airing by snobs claiming it shows the 'correct' way to draw highschool girls unlike 'trash' shows.

It's still on my backlog and may eventually get around to seeing it.

My problem is I still and always will view Beastars as 2019 because it was sorry Netflix it just was. Eizokuen has soured me more with time like I just have zero urge to ever rewatch it and for me rewatch ability is what makes a good show a great show. I want GP on BD so I know I want to rewatch it.
It is kinda telling that Netflix has 3 of the shows are CR pandering to Netflix or do they just get a higher proportion of the best shows. Yes I did watch all the Netflix shows nominated so they do seem to appeal to me more than some of the crap CR gets. Just thinking out loud because I think what could save AL from this FUNi stuff is Netflix.

I usually prefer them to focus on CR shows for their awards since I am more likely to have seen them but with CR barely licensing anything worthwhile besides sequels and shounen these days, I was kind of glad they looked elsewhere. There wasn't much variety in the shows across all of the various categories though! And why Appare-Ranman!?

Eizouken was a weird one for me, we paused it after a few episodes then burned through the rest quite quickly when we picked it back up. I liked the more human characters but it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea so I'll be surprised if it takes the prize.

Dorohedoro is the only CG anime that looked ok to me since barely anyone looks normal to begin with (Beastars did a good job too). I voted for Jujutsu Kaisen in quite a few categories but it isn't the anime of the year no matter how nicely it's animated. Great Pretender was good fun. It's hard to call this one as so much depends on the preferences of the voters. CR's viewership leans heavily towards shounen even by general western anime market standards.

R

Here's my votes. I didn't put much thought into them this year, previous years I've tracked what I might vote at the end of the year for each season, but I couldn't be bothered this year. The only thing I had to think about was couple because apart from TONIKAWA, which I dropped, none of them are actual couples! In/Spectre - she thinks they are, he doesn't give a damn; Beastars - maybe right at the end of the season, I forget; Villainess - it's a harem with no winner, yet (if they wanted LBGT representation then Adachi and Shimamura would have been better, although again never actually get to couple status by the end! Any BL fans know if there was any couples this year?); Rent-A-Girlfriend - another harem with no winner yet, plus he's a jerk so any coupling would be out; and Kaguya-sama - it's the whole point of the show that they aren't a couple (I voted for them anyway because the interaction between them is great).

Anime = Eizouken
Animation = Eizouken
OP = Great Pretender
ED = Jujutsu Kaisen
Best Boy = Legoshi (Beastars)
Best Girl = Kanamori (Eizouken)
Score = Kevin Penkin (Tower of God)
VA Jap = Riho Sugitama (Minare, Wave, Listen to Me)
VA Eng = Jonah Scott (Legoshi, Beastars)
Director = Masaki Yuasa (Eizouken)
Character Design = Great Pretender
Best Protag = Caterina Claes (Villainess)
Best Antag = Echidna (Re: ZERO)
Fight Scene = Brawler v Master (Akudama Drive)
Couple = Kaguya x Miyuki (Kaguya-sama)
Drama = Great Pretender
Fantasy = Bookworm
Comedy = Kaguya-sama

Here's my votes. I didn't put much thought into them this year, previous years I've tracked what I might vote at the end of the year for each season, but I couldn't be bothered this year. The only thing I had to think about was couple because apart from TONIKAWA, which I dropped, none of them are actual couples! In/Spectre - she thinks they are, he doesn't give a damn; Beastars - maybe right at the end of the season, I forget; Villainess - it's a harem with no winner, yet (if they wanted LBGT representation then Adachi and Shimamura would have been better, although again never actually get to couple status by the end! Any BL fans know if there was any couples this year?); Rent-A-Girlfriend - another harem with no winner yet, plus he's a jerk so any coupling would be out; and Kaguya-sama - it's the whole point of the show that they aren't a couple (I voted for them anyway because the interaction between them is great).

Anime = Eizouken
Animation = Eizouken
OP = Great Pretender
ED = Jujutsu Kaisen
Best Boy = Legoshi (Beastars)
Best Girl = Kanamori (Eizouken)
Score = Kevin Penkin (Tower of God)
VA Jap = Riho Sugitama (Minare, Wave, Listen to Me)
VA Eng = Jonah Scott (Legoshi, Beastars)
Director = Masaki Yuasa (Eizouken)
Character Design = Great Pretender
Best Protag = Caterina Claes (Villainess)
Best Antag = Echidna (Re: ZERO)
Fight Scene = Brawler v Master (Akudama Drive)
Couple = Kaguya x Miyuki (Kaguya-sama)
Drama = Great Pretender
Fantasy = Bookworm
Comedy = Kaguya-sama
Uzaki-chan really should have been on the best couple list, but you know they don't have the stones to do it.

Uzaki-chan really should have been on the best couple list, but you know they don't have the stones to do it.
Do they get there in the end, she's annoying so I dropped it and thus obviously wouldn't have voted for it, even if it was on the list.
Looking through what I watched I can only see one genuine couple that I would have said could go on the list and that's the mains in Science Fell in Love. Plenty of ships over the year and indeed I've just watched an AniTuber's personal awards and they used Best Relationship rather than couple.
It seems there could actually, potentially, be at least 4 actual couples from this current season (Winter '21) alone depending on how the stories go, so already better picks than last year.

Kaguya-sama - it's the whole point of the show that they aren't a couple (I voted for them anyway because the interaction between them is great).

They're a much better couple than most of the actual couples in anime though, so I think the fact that they're both too silly to formalise things shouldn't be a barrier :D

R

Looking good for Eizouken! Only 2 days left for the Crunchyroll Anime Awards vote, my poll goes a little beyond that.

Looking at who has voted I see there's a few missing who I know from the Viewing Journal watch a lot of seasonal stuff. Mainly: @HWR, @Dragon Slayer and @NormanicGrav
I voted for Eizouken. Great Pretender is very close at second place for AOTY, but its final arc didn't live up to the quality of the first three overall, whereas Eizouken was consistent throughout.

Looking good for Eizouken! Only 2 days left for the Crunchyroll Anime Awards vote, my poll goes a little beyond that.

Looking at who has voted I see there's a few missing who I know from the Viewing Journal watch a lot of seasonal stuff. Mainly: @HWR, @Dragon Slayer and @NormanicGrav
I had a hard time choosing to be honest but went for Dorohedoro in the end. Eizouken! was also a worthy choice, as was Beastars which I also enjoyed.

Went for dorohedoro though for what it's worth I struggle to call it a valid vote when I haven't seen half of the options (yet to get around to great pretender, Jujutsu kaisen and don't have funimation so can't watch appare ranmen unfortunately)!

Thought the poll would be over by now, but I think I must have extended it when I edited it. I edited it again and set it to end in one day, so last chance.
The Crunchyroll vote has ended already though.

Back