NIS America to release Love Live! dubbed & licensed Movie

NormanicGrav

Quintessential Grav
AUKN Staff
Well I certainly wasn't expecting this.

Courtesy of Fandom Post's Chris Beveridge for reporting this:
NIS America is going to make a lot of people happy today with this news as they’re now announced that Love Live! School Idol Project will be receiving a full English dub for both the 1st and 2nd Season. The new releases that will be coming will feature the English dub, as well as the original Japanese voice track with English subtitles for the North American market. Release details of 2nd Season will be announced at a later date, and the English dubbed version of the 1st Season will only be released as a standard edition.

To commemorate the English dub, NIS America will also be releasing a limited reprint in July of Love Live! School Idol Project 1st Season Premium Edition with original Japanese audio and English subtitles.

In addition to that, they’ve acquired the rights to the Love Live! The School Idol Movie, which will be coming to select theaters in North America! The plans are for the theatrical screenings to be done beginning on September 12, 2015, with the original Japanese voice track and English subtitles. This limited theatrical release will be showing in, but will not be limited to, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Dallas, New York City, and Washington, D.C. with more details to be announced later.

tl;dr

- NIS America have licensed the Love Live! movie
- Season 1, Season 2 and the Movie will be given an English dub
- Season 1's subtitle only premium edition will be re-released in July while a standard edition will be available with the English dub.
- The film will be given a theatrical treatment in America.

Re: NIS America to release Love Live! dubbed & licensed Movi

Great, been hoping for this for awhile, I adore Love Live!. Hope someone from the UK picks it up or the U.S. Release is region B compatible at the very least. Very interested in the dub cast for this one.

Hope I'm not presumptuous in saying I can see MVM getting this now.
They seem to have a good relationship with NISA having gone in with them on A Lull In the Sea.

Elaniel said:
They seem to have a good relationship with NISA having gone in with them on A Lull In the Sea.

There could be a possibility of NIS releasing Season 2 and the film Region A & B for MVM and Hanabee, I can see that happening if they all co-operated together.

It'll probably be terrible. Especially if they dub the songs. I'll stick with my sub only season 1 thanks.

I can see why they've done it though, given how ridiculously popular the show is.

st_owly said:
It'll probably be terrible. Especially if they dub the songs. I'll stick with my sub only season 1 thanks.

I can see why they've done it though, given how ridiculously popular the show is.

How can you make a judgement like that? There hasn't even been a single cast announcement yet. Also I don't think they'd dub the songs. They didn't in K-On anyway.

IncendiaryLemon said:
st_owly said:

How can you make a judgement like that? There hasn't even been a single cast announcement yet. Also I don't think they'd dub the songs. They didn't in K-On anyway.

I find most dubs irritating at best. I'll be pleasantly surprised if this one is any different, but I'm not holding out much hope. K-On isn't released by NIS so that's not a fair comparison to make.

st_owly said:
IncendiaryLemon said:
st_owly said:

I find most dubs irritating at best. I'll be surprised if this one is any different. K-On isn't released by NIS so that's not a fair comparison to make.

I'm very much in disagreement. If a show has a dub option, I always take it, and of the 50 shows I've seen, a good portion dubbed, I can't think of even one that I found irritating myself. Maybe that's just preference. Also, I just named K-On as it's the only other music related show I've seen in English. I think they'd be stupid to dub the music, it's one of the biggest selling points of the show, having it in English would kind of ruin it.

NormanicGrav said:
Elaniel said:

There could be a possibility of NIS releasing Season 2 and the film Region A & B for MVM and Hanabee, I can see that happening if they all co-operated together.
You've got two hopes of that happening, no hope and Bob Hope and Bob Hope is already dead.

Also Madman has the license for Australia, and they're only releasing it on DVD so it's highly likely they won't be doing a BD release.

IncendiaryLemon said:
st_owly said:

I suggest you check the extras on the K-on release as they did do English versions of the first season songs (thankfully Sentai didn't do the same with the second season songs) and from what I've heard they were total train wrecks.

And considering the train wreck that was the dub they did for toradora, I'm not holding out hope that they'll do a better job this time.

I would rather they abandoned their dub plans and went back to sub only releases.

I'm not sure if extras count. I mean, sure, if they want to record them in English as a bonus, whatever, just don't implement them into the show. Also, I thought the Toradora dub was fine.

IncendiaryLemon said:
I'm very much in disagreement. If a show has a dub option, I always take it, and of the 50 shows I've seen, a good portion dubbed, I can't think of even one that I found irritating myself. Maybe that's just preference. Also, I just named K-On as it's the only other music related show I've seen in English. I think they'd be stupid to dub the music, it's one of the biggest selling points of the show, having it in English would kind of ruin it.

Whatever floats your boat. I just think it's too weird having Japanese characters in a Japanese setting speaking English. That and I can't stand the accents of most anime voice actors, but that's very much a personal thing. If I wanted whiny American overacting, I'd watch bad American TV... I do like some dubs, but this is really a discussion for another thread. The magic of technology, unlike the VHS era, means that we can have both on the same disk and everyone's happy (supposedly).

Hmm i also thought the toradora dub was fine.

If you have dub+sub that has to be better than just sub as ecen if you dont like the dub you still have the sub

demonix said:
NormanicGrav said:
Elaniel said:

You've got two hopes of that happening, no hope and Bob Hope and Bob Hope is already dead.

Also Madman has the license for Australia, and they're only releasing it on DVD so it's highly likely they won't be doing a BD release.

Why do you think there is no hope? When Toradora got a dub, MVM released it. There is a possibility unless MVM have said in the past no to the series.

Elaniel said:
demonix said:
NormanicGrav said:

Why do you think there is no hope? When Toradora got a dub, MVM released it. There is a possibility unless MVM have said in the past no to the series.
Is was referring to the chance of NISA doing a zone B capable BD for the dubbed standard release of season 1 and the release of season 2 and the movie since the Australian distributor is only doing a DVD release.

Back