NHK World Broadcasting On Sky Platform Ch. 516

Well, if this channel is a 'hit', they might include a NHK Entertainment Channel or something. it's wishful thinking, but I think people are more interested in Japan's culture than anime, which is why NHK World exist. I wholeheart this anyway as I'm a Japanophile who love their culture (not weeabo, Japanophile. Weeabo is much, much worse)

I liked "Digital Stadium". They show new and independant animations by students and graduates staring out and then critique it and vote on the best to go forward to a final. They even have a audience phone vote as well, though being a pre-recorded transmission, only those in Japan could call in when it originally aired there. Some were really good. It was also surprising to learn Satoshi Kon is a "Guest Professor" (aka Freelance) at a Tokyo university teaching graphic design and animation. I'm glad to see someone else is helping to develop new talent into anime along side Miyazaki. I've series linked this program.

Though they wouldnt show a series, they could include it in a culture show, kind of like the BBC did with Japanorama for example. I watched a bit this weekend and it didnt really set my world on fire... it was a program on stepping stones... followed by one on autumn leaves...

Just watched it this morning, wasnt too bad. I was watching the J-Music program (forgot what they called it again) but that wasnt too bad. the programs seem to differ depending on the day. Which is nice I guess.

melonpan said:
I love this channel, the features are quite hilarious but damn interesting, the acting is ridiculously cheesy :x
Is it a particuarly wide selction of features, or are they prone to repeating things?

here's what I've found in programmes that have any anime content in them

"Digital stadium" (though it's called "Digista" in the opening credits)

"Imagine-Nation" Actual English speaking group of western, (though one is clearly from Spain, or South America, and English wasn't her first language), Japanopliles interviewing anime directors and mangakas with inserts and trailers. The questions are in English, but the answers are in Japanese with English subs.

"J-MELO" A magazine type show about all things J-pop. Presenters speak in English.

Programmes are changed weekly, but repeat during that week.

Zin5ki said:
Is it a particuarly wide selction of features, or are they prone to repeating things?
Each day of the week there are certain programs broadcast, and those programs are repeated throughout that particular day.
I believe the japanese lessons are on repeat, but most of the other programs are new each week.

I think the channel is best watched during the week, i never often find much to interest me on the weekend. My favourite programs to watch are J-MELO, Tokyo Eye, Delicious Nippon, and Japanese Kitchen. Imagine-Nation can be quite interesting, but the hosts are rather irritating.
The only program i have found that i really don't like is Cool Japan. The cultural side of it i enjoy, but the the group of foreign guests on the show each week are close-minded and ignorant, even more annoying since supposedly they even live in Japan.

Charter_Mage said:
The only program i have found that i really don't like is Cool Japan. The cultural side of it i enjoy, but the the group of foreign guests on the show each week are close-minded and ignorant, even more annoying since supposedly they even live in Japan.
What views do these guests hold exactly?

Zin5ki said:
Charter_Mage said:
What views do these guests hold exactly?
The guests on Cool Japan remind me very much of Kelly Osbourne when she made her little attempt at understanding Japanese culture-altogether very cynical. Though i will admit i may be slightly biased on some topics, such as the reading of manga. Something which they thought adults shouldn't be doing.
These are people who apparently live in Japan, and yet seem to hold no grasp at all on the culture.

Back