NHK World Broadcasting On Sky Platform Ch. 516

Mohawk52

Thousand Master
Someone wrote in to this months NEO about this being on Sky Channel 516, and sure enough. It's just generic news and current affairs in a repeat loop at present.

Imagine-Nation on it shows weekly Japanese Anime, Manga and Game charts along with features and interviews, most of which relate to anime/manga. As long as you can survive the hosts and the rather blatant fact they half of them don't know japanese and nod/go mmmhmmm over and over during interviews...its quite good.

So when you say they show NO anime..that isn't really true, as there are often clips included in it:p

NHK have funded the likes of Denno Coil, specifically to have it on their channel, so it'd be immense if something like that was shown.

I find it absolutely pathetic that Denno Coil hasn't been licensed yet, actually.

Mohawk52 said:
They have listed two pop culture programmes, one "digital Stadium" with the anime director Satoshi Kon as a guest.
Ooh, a possible watch. Here's hoping those with televisions can relay to us what Kon has to say.

You know, even without the anime i have really enjoyed watching this channel since i first heard about it through NEO. There is a wide range of interesting programs covering many topics on Japanese culture. Anyone who is interested in Japanese culture as a whole should have a look. There are programs on Japanese cookery, music, fashion, and of course the 15 minute Nihongo lesson. This lesson is pretty basic, but also pretty good as it teaches you to learn each word as a new word, not as the Japanese translation of an english word.

Just to test the soil so to speak. I sent them an e-mail requesting that they show anime, starting with "Welcome to the NHK". No reply as yet. :wink:

Mohawk52 said:
Then there is "Imagine-Nation" Feature: the Garden of sinners
Creator's Interview: Hiroaki Samura, Manga artist.

Just finished watching this, the footage of Kara no Kyoukai (Garden of Sinners) had me drooling. Although the narrators voice was irritating at times, was quite a good watch despite that.[/quote]

No you will not be able to get this channel off the same antenne you get BBC and ITV. It's a satellite channel so you need a sky box to get.

Well I got a reply after all.
Thank you for your inquiry.

Unfortunately, NHK WORLD TV is a news and information channel, and that's why it doesn't carry anime programs.

As you may know, we have a program called "imagine-nation"
which introduces Comics, Anime and Games, etc.

<imagine>
( http://www.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/t ... index.html )

Thank you for watching NHK WORLD and we will pass on your comments to the person in charge for future reference.

Regards,
NHK WORLD
[email protected]
It's the squeeky wheel that gets the grease. :wink:

Unfortunately, NHK WORLD TV is a news and information channel, and that's why it doesn't carry anime programs.

As you may know, we have a program called "imagine-nation"
which introduces Comics, Anime and Games, etc.
I suppose that's fair. I myself can't fathom a channel of their calibre being able to afford the rights to broadcast much anime anyway.

Back