News Ghost in the Shell Arise Anime's 1st Full Trailer

bracing for fangasm. And people thought I was being silly posting a predicted Neregate poster on chat. Now just need that MD Geist release.
Took me a while to realise that it was a younger Major, I was thinking she changed bodies or PI.G changed styles. I was thinking "Oh poor Makoto, she has to be jailbait to entice the modern demographic." to "I wonder if William F.Knight will still be around to do Chief Monkey." Providing of course they will be a company to pick it up, what with Bandai being the way it is or not is.

Maybe I've been all Ghost in the Shelled to excess, but I'm getting a JJ Abrams Trek reboot vibe from this that doesn't sit well with me. Everything from the character designs, the world design, the feel of the show is putting me off. It looks like yet another continuity, one that won't fit in with either the movies or the TV series.

I would much rather have had more Stand Alone Complex.

I guess they know it is going to sell well domestically and to a lesser extent internationally so have obviously spent a fair bit on the animation judging by that trailer.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Motoko begins :p

Looks very promising. Is this set in the GITS movie universe or the SAC universe, or an entirely new one?

I don't think they've said explicitly, but my money's on it being a new continuity. Judging by the relative ages of the other characters (particularly Togusa), I think it's unlikely that it would fit into either existing canon.

Professor Irony said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Motoko begins :p

Looks very promising. Is this set in the GITS movie universe or the SAC universe, or an entirely new one?

I don't think they've said explicitly, but my money's on it being a new continuity. Judging by the relative ages of the other characters (particularly Togusa), I think it's unlikely that it would fit into either existing canon.

I kinda got a vibe that it could be a follow on from the 1st Movie with Motoko considered dead but in her new body. (2nd movie ignored)

Setting up a new continuity just seems like they'd be milking the franchise, though I guess they'd get accused of that either way

Holy...

My God. That looks way better than what I was expecting from samples of the concept art! Suddenly psyched to check it out. It'll all depend on the stories, of course, but goddamn, Makoto looks kick-**** without being semi-naked. YAY!

EDIT: Oh wait, I just saw who is in charge of the direction and script. *goes back to not caring until she hears it is awesome from trusted individuals*

VivisQueen said:
EDIT: Oh wait, I just saw who is in charge of the direction and script.
ANN said:
Tow UBUKATA
Staff in:
Le Chevalier D'Eon (TV) : Series Composition, Script (ep 1), Original creator
Mardock Scramble: The First Compression (movie) : Screenplay, Original creator
VivisQueen said:
*goes back to not caring until she hears it is awesome from trusted individuals*
Wut in the wut wut?

My God. That looks way better than what I was expecting from samples of the concept art! Suddenly psyched to check it out. It'll all depend on the stories, of course, but goddamn, Makoto looks kick-**** without being semi-naked. YAY!
You mean Motoko looks kick-**** (yay) without actually looking like Motoko (boo)? Hearing her voiced by Mary Elizabeth McGlynn in the dub will undoubtedly improve my perception of the new chaacter design... if not then it'll be table flipping time.

Well Motoko can look like anything they want her to look like, that's a element of her character established throughout the entire franchise. As much as loved Stand Alone Complex, I was glad when they did away with the thong suit near the end of the first season. From an intelligent character who's working as a high ranking member of an anti cyber terrorism division it makes more sense to pop on a pair of trousers when going on a potentially dangerous mission. Would you take Jack Bauer as seriously if he were taking down terrorists in a pair of shorts? Prorobably not.

Sy said:
As much as loved Stand Alone Complex, I was glad when they did away with the thong suit near the end of the first season.
I don't have the slightest problem with the costume change, it's the character design that I'm not particularly taken with. It's a nice design in its own right (and certainly better than a lot of contemporary character design) but it just looks too different to what came before. It's not likely to ruin the experience for me, but it's a little disappointing.

Also Sy and Vivi both posting? What's going on? Do some posters hatch once a year like May Bugs?

^ See, it's interesting. I barely took note of how different her face/hair looks. She is still female, and she has blue hair with the front longer than the back part. The Motoko in the movie looks quite different to the Motoko in the manga. And the Motoko in the series looks quite different to the one in the movie. So I barely blinked when Arise also went with a slightly different design. For me, it was all about the costume.

Also, we just recorded a podcast with Sy. Probably reminded us both that we haven't posted anything in a while. I browse the forum every other day, just don't really find much to comment on.

Rosencrantz said:
I kinda got a vibe that it could be a follow on from the 1st Movie with Motoko considered dead but in her new body. (2nd movie ignored)

It's not impossible, especially given that Batou does look quite similar to the way he was in the film, but I dunno... My spidey-sense tells me that they've pushed the reset button for this one. It's wearing on for 20 years since the first film came out, so I think it would make more sense for them to start a new continuity than try to continue that one directly. Although saying that, I suppose Solid State Society was kind of a retelling of the Puppeteer storyline, so I could see them making oblique reference to it.

As for ̶K̶a̶n̶e̶d̶a̶k̶o̶ Motoko Jr, I actually don't mind her new design, even if I'm not wild about it. What bothers me more is trend amongst the male characters to have tiny eyes which are really close together. It's less noticeable in the newest trailer, but Paz and Borma certainly suffer from it.

ayase said:
I don't have the slightest problem with the costume change, it's the character design that I'm not particularly taken with.
Apologies, I thought you meant that it didn't look like Motoko because she wasn't semi-naked.

VivisQueen said:
Also, we just recorded a podcast with Sy. Probably reminded us both that we haven't posted anything in a while. I browse the forum every other day, just don't really find much to comment on.
This.

Professor Irony said:
What bothers me more is trend amongst the male characters to have tiny eyes which are really close together. It's less noticeable in the newest trailer, but Paz and Borma certainly suffer from it.
I'm just glad that Paz looks less like Butthead in this version. Every time he turned up in Stand Alone Complex I couldn't unsee the connection.

Back