New licenses and boxsets announced at AmeCon 2006

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Over this weekend UK anime convention AmeCon 2006 has been in full swing. Full reports of the event are being posted over at the Anime On DVD forums- but in short, the only company to announce any new UK licenses has been ADV UK (the rest are planning to announce new titles at October's London Expo).
  • ADV UK will be releasing the following anime in the UK during 2007
  • Nanaka 6/17
  • Area 88 OVA
  • Meitantei Loki Ragnarok
  • This Ugly Yet Beautiful World
  • Maburaho
  • Sister Princess
  • Comic Party Revolution
  • Godannar
  • Jinki:Extend

Boxsets will be appearing in the UK for the following series:
  • Battle Vixens (Ikki Tousen)
  • Haibane Renmei
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Movies
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion Platinum
  • Paranoia Agent
  • Serial Experiments Lain
  • Witch Hunter Robin

The box sets for WHR and the Gundam movies look like a good plan, since I have the others on DVD separately. The announcement of so many box sets can only be great news for the industry and buyers though.

Can't say I've heard of any of the ADV releases although iirc This Ugly Yet Beautiful World is a Gainax effort so it *ought* to be interesting. At least I hope so...

Paul said:
Boxsets will be appearing in the UK for the following series:
  • Haibane Renmei
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion Platinum
  • Witch Hunter Robin
Great :) I've been waiting on all three of these series until a boxset becomes available.

As for the Gundam movies getting a boxset, that figures. I'm not sure if i'm enough a nut to sell my single volumes just to get it or not... I'm quite interested on the basis that the volume's spines have such ugly logos.

edit: also noticed from a report on the beez panel:
"Gundam - he thinks it's better to concentrate on one Gundam series at a time, and right now that's Seed Destiny, so he has no plans for any other Gundam titles at the moment. However it does seem likely that they will come out eventually"
I too think this is sensible, and am greatly pleased to hear that there is the chance that some other stuff will come out. My only fear is that Seed Destiny will stop them in their tracks if it gets a lukewarm reception (in which case I have myself to blame after-all. I've done nothing to help its reputation :p)

Andrew Partridge also mentioned the Gundam Wing boxes (the first of which is out soon) as being like the Gundam Wing with Gundam model boxes but without the model (ie two volumes/10 episodes to a box for a five box set). That is the first explanation of that I have heard since I spied it on the Pinnacle Vision website.

Sweeeeeet I have been after Comic Party Revolution, Meitantei Loki Ragnarok and Maburaho for a while now so will have to order them when they come out

McIcy said:
Sweeeeeet I have been after Comic Party Revolution, Meitantei Loki Ragnarok and Maburaho for a while now so will have to order them when they come out
A note on the ADV licences. While ADV UK has the licences to these shows they are not necessarily going to release them over here. They were trialling these series at AmeCon (and will probably do the same again at the London Expo) to guage fans' interest in them and decide which of them to actually invest further in and release. Of that I would say that Area 88 is sure because they have already scheduled that one based upon the poll last year. Jinki is almost a certainty too, given the exceitment of getting that and the (raw) episode shown at the ADV panel.

It would certainly be a crime if Loki didn't appear here given the episodes I saw at Ame and I kind of enjoyed Sister Princess too. The one item missing from that list of licences (although I can't say I liked it, anyway) is Super Milk-chan.

On a boxset related note, when did this Goddess boxset get announced? I just found it on the release dates page, it must have gone under the radar somehow. Ah well, good news regardless of when it was announced.

Gawyn said:
Andrew Partridge also mentioned the Gundam Wing boxes (the first of which is out soon) as being like the Gundam Wing with Gundam model boxes but without the model (ie two volumes/10 episodes to a box for a five box set). That is the first explanation of that I have heard since I spied it on the Pinnacle Vision website.
This news is full of fail.

Back