New Anime Releases 23/08/2010, FMA: Brotherhood!

Neferpitou

Stand User
New Anime Releases For Monday:

Code Geass: Season 2 Vol.2
(RRP: £34.99)

GEASS-R2.jpg

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Part 1
(RRP: £24.99)

14230076x.jpg

(Blu-Ray) Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Part 1
(RRP: £34.99)

14230090x.jpg

(Re-release) Gantz: Complete Collection
(RRP: £39.99)

13953913x.jpg

Requiem From The Darkness Complete Collection

15413780x.jpg

Rozen Maiden Traumend: Vol 2
(RRP: £15.99)

15412570x.jpg

Anime Legends Gundam Wing: Part 2 of 2

.3D_AL_GundamWing_2_2_copie_m.jpg

Brotherhood was animated in 540p and upscaled to 1080p, so while the BD will definitely look better than the DVD, it's not the kind of improvement you'd see with some other shows.

Actually if the PAL master is taken from the same source the DVD should be as good as the BD. Anime being at ~25 fps anyway. So it's down to the audio.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Brotherhood was animated in 540p and upscaled
The f*ck? Wasn't it only made a couple of years ago at most? What are they doing still animating in standard definition?

I wasn't that bothered about brotherhood (never am with most remakes) but one thing I was looking forward to was some high quality visuals...

That is better than SD if you're not in Europe.
It was made this year, that's the most recent size format.
And it does upscale easier than 720p does as well as being cheaper.
But for those of us in PAL regions it means the DVD (assuing they didn't try some stupid upscale and made it look awful) is as good as the BD

I'd be surprised if the DVD isn't an NTSC > PAL conversion like practically every anime release, in which case the extra resolution is lost. Plus there'll be the conversion artifacts (i.e. ghosting).

It is an NTSC-PAL conversion, but a pretty fine one at that. There's no ghosting, detail levels are high, and pans and scrolls are mostly smooth. It's as good as NTSC-PAL gets.

You would notice if it was native PAL though.

Incidentally, if yoy want to see what a PAL anime looks like, keep an eye out for the second Bleach movie, which is.

How do they remove the ghosting? I remember watching Code Geass and not spotting any blended frames, though the end credits judder like crazy.

Some of Manga's Stand Alone Complex discs are film > PAL transfers, as are some of the Ghibli films.

fabricatedlunatic said:
I'd be surprised if the DVD isn't an NTSC > PAL conversion like practically every anime release, in which case the extra resolution is lost. Plus there'll be the conversion artifacts (i.e. ghosting).
Erm how many shows have had release here that actualy have a better than 480p source. Do remeber that pre 2007 TV anime will all be NTSC.
Don't we only have like 4 shows for comparison.
They'll have to do PAL masters for the DVD anyway why take them from the 480p (30fps) downscale, not the original source.

fabricatedlunatic said:
How do they remove the ghosting? I remember watching Code Geass and not spotting any blended frames, though the end credits judder like crazy.

Some of Manga's Stand Alone Complex discs are film > PAL transfers, as are some of the Ghibli films.

I think they use magic.

Some conversions really suck. You can see blended frames in normal playback. With something like FMAB, you have to pause, frame advance, and then something like one frame in every five or six will show blending, and that's the only way that you'll see it.

It probably boils down to money and time.

I normally screengrab by pausing at random and just grabbing the frame, but with NTSC-PAL, it usually means pausing, frame advancing to find an unblended frame and then grabbing. I didn't have to do that with FMAB.

In fact this is the only grab that has some form of blending to it that I can find, and that's just at the corner at the ends of Cornello's sleeves. There's a slight blur there.

http://images.myreviewer.com/fullsize/0000224930.jpg

The only thing that really said to me that this was NTSC-PAL was the lower resolution. You can't get away from that.

Reaper gI said:
Erm how many shows have had release here that actualy have a better than 480p source. Do remeber that pre 2007 TV anime will all be NTSC.
Don't we only have like 4 shows for comparison.
They'll have to do PAL masters for the DVD anyway why take them from the 480p (30fps) downscale, not the original source.
Well, whatever. This guy seems to know what he's talking about and addresses the PAL DVD issue in the second comment.

Just Passing Through said:
I normally screengrab by pausing at random and just grabbing the frame, but with NTSC-PAL, it usually means pausing, frame advancing to find an unblended frame and then grabbing. I didn't have to do that with FMAB.
Yeah, that's what I was looking for with Code Geass, having been taken aback by the quality of the transfer and apparent lack of ghosting. There were no blended frames that I could see.

Back