New Anime Releases 07/09/2009

Wildcard said:
unellmay said:
Sorry
I just never though I would hear the words disappointing and worthy purchase in the same sentence 8O

I've rarely seen an anime, film or TV series that hasn't been disappointing in some regard. Nothing's perfect, everything's flawed in some way but I'm less concerned about what a show does wrong than what it does right. Berserk delivers gripping drama, engaging character development and gritty action. Part of the reason the ending is a disappointment is because the build up was so good.

I could rave about all the flaws in your beloved Gurren Lagann or Naruto and tell you not to buy them, but unlike yourself I have a sembalance of respect for others' opinions. So please no more spiteful remarks, I can't be bothered to lock horns over mention of a boxset.

They don't have flaws

Just Passing Through said:
I wouldn't call Berserk's (anime) ending disappointing. In fact, given the build up that the show offers, it's a downright awesome and thrilling conclusion, simply because of the build up and the character development. If I have a nitpick about it, I'd say that the very first episode ought to be ditched, or at least left till last.

If you have to call Berserk's ending a disappointment, it's only because it's the textbook definition of leaving you wanting more. The disappointment is in that there is no more, no more animated at least.

Well said, better to be left wanting more than wishing it would end sooner. Despite failing to resolve certain plot threads and leaving the fate of the characters hanging, it delivers an exciting and emotional final episode. Not perfect but far from terrible.

unellmay said:
They don't have flaws

A fine example of how one sided your opinions are unellmay.

unellmay said:
Wildcard said:
unellmay said:
Sorry
I just never though I would hear the words disappointing and worthy purchase in the same sentence 8O

I've rarely seen an anime, film or TV series that hasn't been disappointing in some regard. Nothing's perfect, everything's flawed in some way but I'm less concerned about what a show does wrong than what it does right. Berserk delivers gripping drama, engaging character development and gritty action. Part of the reason the ending is a disappointment is because the build up was so good.

I could rave about all the flaws in your beloved Gurren Lagann or Naruto and tell you not to buy them, but unlike yourself I have a sembalance of respect for others' opinions. So please no more spiteful remarks, I can't be bothered to lock horns over mention of a boxset.

They don't have flaws

Nothing is without flaw, unellmay.

Tasker said:
Ahh, I see, I tell the truth and the post gets deleted, he calls me a Peadophile and nothing happens...

Personal attacks, even if trolling was involved, aren't appropriate. I haven't seen a post calling you that that I recall but if you PM me details I'll sort it out.

R

unellmay, you should calm down a little. You really should understand that when you make comments like that it makes you look bad. There are several people here who make no secret of the fact they want you banned, so if you want to beat them, you have to prove them wrong by not doing things that could annoy other people here. I know you can play nice, so for all of us here, please do. The admins here keep having to justify why they haven't banned you to some people & they shouldn't have to. It is up to you now.

On another note, consider it good practise for when you may want to attract a girl. When you make comments like you have done that pissed off Tasker, sex has never been more out of reach for you. So please behave, for the sake of your penis if nothing else.

Rui said:
Tasker said:
Ahh, I see, I tell the truth and the post gets deleted, he calls me a Peadophile and nothing happens...

Personal attacks, even if trolling was involved, aren't appropriate. I haven't seen a post calling you that that I recall but if you PM me details I'll sort it out.

R

I believe it was a joke (I hope otherwise it's just a lie)

My apologies to Mr Unellmay, i've double checked and it wasn't him that said it, it was Skikes, Unellmay quoted the post and as he sometimes goes out of his way to wind people up it stuck in my head that it was him that said it. :oops:

I'm really sorry for blaming him for something he didn't do.

I've had a really bad day today, which I realise is no excuse, but it's caused me to snap and rant at people when I normally wouldn't.

My apologies also to anyone else I may have caused offence to.

Tasker said:
My apologies to Mr Unellmay, i've double checked and it wasn't him that said it, it was Skikes, Unellmay quoted the post and as he sometimes goes out of his way to wind people up it stuck in my head that it was him that said it. :oops:

I'm really sorry for blaming him for something he didn't do.

I've had a really bad day today, which I realise is no excuse, but it's caused me to snap and rant at people when I normally wouldn't.

My apologies also to anyone else I may have caused offence to.

I'll forgive you if you give all the crappy amvs I made when I was 14 all 5 star ratings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF6cxuA7 ... re=channel

Funktion said:
I watched bits of the Blu-Ray release of Ghost In The Shell: Innocence last night, and I must say I'm extremely disappointed with this release.
While most of the times the film looks ok, I was easily able to see what looks like compression artifacts in the background of dark scenes (and in scenes with white or very light colors), especially in the beginning.

Frankly, of all animation releases I own on BD, this has to be the worse of all of them, and my first disappointment.
The screenshots I saw of the Japanese and US releases seem miles better than this release, with no apparent problems. I know screenshots can "lie", but this release is probably the first BD where I noticed what seems like compression problems.

Additionally, for those who can only watch Region B BDs like me, this is probably the best we will get for the time being: based on the menus and logos at the beginning, this is the same disc that is going to be released in both Spain, and Australia (through Madman Entertainment).

If anyone bought this disc give us your impressions, I'm curious to see what you think of it (and if you noticed the same flaws on the transfer; it can always be a calibration problem on my end or a bad disc, but I highly doubt it).

This is the problem with this current generation.

I have no idea what I'm going to do - either get on the import bandwagon and get an Oppo/hack it to play Region A and completely ignore the UK market, like I did for the whole DVD era since I realised how ****** UK DVDs are in comparison to US ones - or wait it out a bit longer to see if UK companies will use the same encodes as the US companies, so I can be happy to buy from the UK, but then miss out on my chance to get in on the US Blu-ray market from the start if the UK market turns out to be ****.

The same trend from the DVD era's releases has continued to Blu-ray already, with non-simultaneous releases, Funimation are putting out tons of Blu-rays, and plans for a lot of series, but over here we're getting hardly anything in comparison, and already several months, or it will be years later than the US.

The only thing that's going to change my mind about this market and put it from the 'lost cause' box to 'I'll give this generation a chance' box is what encodes they use, and if Manga have gone and made their own encode and it's worse then I won't be happy and won't be giving the UK market my money.

There is zero reason to use a different encode now, as the HD standard is universal (more or less).

As for GITS:Innocence, if I remember correctly I don't think the hype around the release was glowing, video-wise, I might have a look back over the posts though.

That's also what I like about the US industry, the wealth of information on releases, compared to the UK market where absolutely no one seems to know, or care about the quality of the release. If you're going to stand being given ****, then the companies will milk your money by giving you ****.

I was in two minds about the whole Blu-ray situation as well. I'm certainly annoyed that they're still using region coding (kill it with free trade agreements!) and even moreso that the US is region buddies with Japan this time instead of us which frankly makes the region coding look doubly pointless. Except if the point was just to really piss Europe off. Now that I have a UK PS3 (I wasn't gonna get hit with import charges for something that pricey) I'm stuck with R-B discs for now.

I really hope that Manga pick up all these Funi BDs, and that Beez get their **** in gear and pick up where they left off with more of those awesome worldwide simultaneous releases. Otherwise... Yeah, it'll look a lot like another case of 'Shaft the UK for no good reason'. We won't even be able to import without one of those £250 Oppos you mention.

ayase said:
We won't even be able to import without one of those £250 Oppos you mention.

They're more than that!

Blu-ray's been out for a few years now, I wonder how long it took until universal DVD players started coming out after DVD arrived; that'd be a good estimate as to when cheap universal players will come into existence. I guess a PC Blu-ray reader hooked up to a TV would always work (assuming you can change the region on those), but everything I've learnt about video encoding and whatnot - and the fact that any pre-HD anime will be in 1080i, thus making deinterlacing relevant into this generation - you need a good video processing chip (ala the Anchor Bay chip in Oppo's) to make the picture look good, because Funimation/other companies have a bad habit of messing up encodes so you need something that will fix it. I don't think any computer video card would be up to the job of doing that, although they have come on leaps and bounds since a few years ago.

I'm also going to have to get a UK PS3, (off topic: I've already got a little stockpile of games (Civilization Revolution, Little Big Planet, Eternal Sonata, Disgaea 3 and soon to have Valkyria Chronicles and 2010's huge amount of offerings), so if I don't go down the UK route I'm going to be stuck with a good Blu-ray player (because the PS3 is very good) that can only be used to read games.

This whole generation has been tainted by the region fiasco in my opinion. I'd bet that the majority of importers of anime will be Americans importing Japanese products, most certainly more than Europeans importing Japanese products, so I am at a total loss as to why America and Japan are in the same region this time.

The only good thing going for HD DVD was the region free.

Can't have your cake and eat it though I guess.

I'm pretty sure I saw a region free BD player for $450, which in today's market is apparently... £272.42.

DVD players were largely software encoded though (which is why all it takes is a simple remote hack to unlock them) Blu-ray region coding however, from what I'm aware, is actually built into a chip in the player. And if you mess about with that, well... bye bye firmware updates, I'm guessing.

Not all pre-HD anime will have to be in 1080i - only that which was digitally produced at a lower resolution which there'd be little point buying in HD anyway. Older cell animation was shot on real film and can look absolutely stunning when remastered in HD - films aside the Gunbuster and Bubblegum Crisis Blu-rays were both in 1080p for starters. As it seems are the Zeta and ZZ Gundam sets.

I'd be more inclined to think that Japan and America sharing regions would result in a massive loss for Japanese distribution companies. If Japanese fans can import HD anime from America for up to ten times less than they can buy it at home, why the hell wouldn't they? (unless Japan has import taxes even worse than ours - even then they'd have to be like 500% before it actually became more expensive to import).

And melonpan, we should never stop trying until we have neverending supplies of cake which it doesn't matter if we eat because there'll always be more. ;)

ayase said:
Not all pre-HD anime will have to be in 1080i - only that which was digitally produced at a lower resolution which there'd be little point buying in HD anyway. Older cell animation was shot on real film and can look absolutely stunning when remastered in HD - films aside the Gunbuster and Bubblegum Crisis Blu-rays were both in 1080p for starters. As it seems are the Zeta and ZZ Gundam sets.

Yeah I mean all the stuff between cel and HD, the long SD era. 7 years of low quality 480 lines of data anime. : (

ayase said:
And melonpan, we should never stop trying until we have neverending supplies of cake which it doesn't matter if we eat because there'll always be more. ;)

I agree, 100%.

Trailers/Openings/Clips are up, if anyone wants to post further images of these releases i.e. back of the box covers, the dvd itself, images of it's reverse cover if it has it, inserts or other extras please do so.

Also it me or is Kenpachi Zaraki doing a bit voice over on Chanbara Beauty trailer :)

melonpan said:
Blu-ray's been out for a few years now, I wonder how long it took until universal DVD players started coming out after DVD arrived...
I could swear that my first DVD player from 97 / 98 was region free and subsequent DVD players weren't, which lead me to believe the region lock for DVD came after the actual DVD creation, but a quick look on wiki tells me otherwise.

But, I've found this little piece of info, which actually makes me want to buy an Oz Bluray player now:
Region-Free Blu-Ray players (modified or otherwise) have also appeared in the market as of 2007. These players are usually meant for the Hong Kong or Australian markets, where regional lockout is deemed anticompetitive and illegal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_lockout

Back