Netflix launches in UK/Ireland with anime titles and series

Eeeper

Completely Average High School Student
Hey all,

just finished going through the Netflix site after I signed up. There's a good selection of titles (mostly Manga UK titles) with both movies and series. Seems to be unlimited titles just like the US version. I'm using my Galaxy S I to stream the Girl Who Leapt Through Time right now.

It's €6.99 per month for Irish customers but I can't find out about UK rates as it keeps redirecting me.

Anyway, following thelink to the main Netflix site will take you to your local version.

Take it easy.

Netflix launches in UK - with some anime.

Source.

Netflix, the U.S. stream-on-demand behemoth has launched in the United Kingdom with an initial free month trial, then a £5.99 monthly fee. Among the other more mainstream media available through the service, uk-anime.net has compiled a list of the anime that is available (the majority of them being MangaUK titles):

- Afro Samurai
- Afro Samurai: Resurrection
- Beyblade
- The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
- Eureka Seven: Good Night, Sleep Tight, Young Lovers
- Ghost in the Shell
- Ghost in the Shell 2.0
- Ghost in the Shell: Solid State Society
- Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
- Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - 2nd Gig
- Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - The Laughing Man
- The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
- Gurren Lagann
- Macross II
- Macross II: The Movie
- Musashi: The Dream of the Last Samurai
- Noein
- Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles
- The Sky Crawlers
- Strait Jacket
- Summer Wars
- Tokko

Absolutely useless to me but cool to see it coming over here, finally. Hopefully the back catalogue stuff on there will interest some of the mainstream viewers this is aimed at. I know a lot of my friends in the US love the service, and perhaps it will be a boon for our anime-specific streaming services if Netflix does the groundwork promoting streaming and getting people used to the idea of paying for the model.

Since TV has failed so badly to keep up with the times, I'm glad that the internet has picked up the slack to produce more access to video content legally, with the user able to choose which kind of subscription they go for in terms of content.

R

With £4.99 on Lovefilm's Disc Service and £5.99 a month for Netflix's Unlimited Streaming; it means I'll be sorted for a while! (Just on the list above I have 15+ earmarked for watch)

There is a decent catalogue of stuff on there (for me) and the quality on PS3 seems better than anything Lovefilm can throw streaming wise (I do have Wired connection though), Viewed around 15 minutes of Summer Wars and random South Park episodes and not once did I have a break in the stream!

[EDIT: inb4 anime selection is rubbish because it's English Dub Only]
(Well is there really any other format for Dub Anime like this in this country other than Home and DTO options?!?! Didn't think so! :p)

Non-animu stuff you should be watching:

-Arrested Development
-Breaking Bad
-Chappelle's Show
-Dollhouse
-Firefly
-The Inbetweeners
-The IT Crowd
-Misfits
-South Park

Oh wonderful news. If Netflix has moved to the UK, then there is competition. Being in Germany, I only have LoveFilm, and I do love it, actually. It's serving my needs well enough. But nice to know Netflix has moved in. Maybe we'll see some insane price deals going.

Paradox295 said:
Non-animu stuff you should be watching:

-Arrested Development
-Breaking Bad
-Chappelle's Show
-Dollhouse
-Firefly
-The Inbetweeners
-The IT Crowd
-Misfits
-South Park

I second this and now that nexflix is here i hope they put it on the xbox soon so i can watch all these again on there and not have to buy the dvd's. Althogh both seasons of stand alone complex is available i'll stick to buying the singles for £1 each every time i get paid, feels so rewarding ... :wink:

Surely the "source" for the info is just Netflix's site? :p

megagold5 said:
Meh. Hate streaming stuff, the quailty is just never there.
Do you mean in terms of content? Or picture quality? The former isn't really the fault of streaming per se, and the latter isn't really true any more. Netflix looks to be a good step-up from LoveFilm in terms of PQ.

Rui said:
Absolutely useless to me
Just from the POV of the titles on offer, or something else?

Loving TheLasersharkKH's impressions from leaping into it so quickly!

ilmaestro said:
Rui said:
Absolutely useless to me
Just from the POV of the titles on offer, or something else?

Well, if they suddenly started putting up a load of unique anime-related stuff, that would be interesting, but I prefer the dedicated anime solutions at the moment. Not least because it seems they are determined to stay dub-only for now on Netflix. If there's any local stuff I want I'm still very much in the habit of just buying the disc version since that's quite rare.

It's definitely in my interests though for this to succeed; we badly need more services where viewers have power to pick and choose their own entertainment legally (also, I have a fantasy about not being hounded for a TV Licence one day due to that silly system being scrapped entirely).

R

Tried many more hours of stuff on many devices (PS3, iPad, Wii) and I have to say absolutely spot on, Not a single problem with buffering or any of that useless rubbish at all 3-5 seconds and there you go your watching uninterrupted streaming just like that! LoveWHO?!

On the PS3, i've noticed several films have options for various languages and subtitles.

So the decision to be english dub only is a conscious decision, ether on the part of the publishers or netflix

Aegelward said:
On the PS3, i've noticed several films have options for various languages and subtitles.

So the decision to be english dub only is a conscious decision, ether on the part of the publishers or netflix
Given it's Manga we're dealing with?

Anyway, went for it (and I mostly got caught up watching South Park, go me, and the good Baybalade (christ, we live in an age where THAT's a logical statement, sheesh) Oh and watched Stright Jacket again, that was awesome the first time I saw it. Kidna sad that's not a series.

daichi383 said:
Oh Netflix, Why you s***ing all over mah nigga LOVEFiLM.
I...think...there was a legitimate question in that sentence but you're so white that it blinds me.

ConanThe3rd said:
Aegelward said:

Given it's Manga we're dealing with?

Anyway, went for it (and I mostly got caught up watching South Park, go me, and the good Baybalade (christ, we live in an age where THAT's a logical statement, sheesh) Oh and watched Stright Jacket again, that was awesome the first time I saw it. Kidna sad that's not a series.

daichi383 said:
I...think...there was a legitimate question in that sentence but you're so white that it blinds me.

If I remember correctly, according to Andrew (Kaze's) recent interview, the reason why we have non-Manga titles there as well is because it isn't MangaUK getting friendly with Netflix, it's Starz, who own Manga (the same reason is why Gurren Lagann is on iTunes despite it not being a MangaUK show).

ConanThe3rd said:
daichi383 said:

I'm actually black but thanks for the epic reply :roll:
GOD I LOVE NETFLIX!! :twisted: Been rewatching Gurren Laggan and watching Noein. Good s*** right there NIGGA! (love using the word, i'm not gonna lie).

Back