Need a few recommendations on Anime series to watch

Funktion said:
By the way, I was wondering: is there any series available on DVD (old or recent) with the "cliché" noirish device of a detective/private investigator solving cases?

There seems to be a surprising lack of anime in this sort of genre. The only really clear cut example I can think of is a one-off OAV called "Urban Square" that was featured on ANN a while back. I haven't seen it myself, but they gave it a pretty good write-up there. The only problem is that it's never had a DVD release, so you'd need to find a fansub I'm afraid.

Incidentally, if you liked the old Lupin tv series, you might want to give City Hunter a try - it's enjoyably daft.

On a similar note, the original Space Adventure Cobra tv series might interest you as well, but the only DVD releases with an English sub track are bootlegged and I dunno what the quality is like. The film is quite readily available, but the series is more fun.

Higurashi no naku koro ni (When they cry)
Simply amazing, once you get past all the confusion.

ROD (Ovas and TV)
The OVA's have some of the best action scenes known in anime.

Kino's Journey
Slow paced, episodic, beautiful anime. Very introspective, but it has a talking motorbike.

Samurai X
The OVA's are some of the best Samurai anime has to offer.

Patlabor movies
Great action, great story and the mechas are hardly the main thing in them. Noticed that I recommend this, even though you pointed that you are not into mecha.

FLCL
In two word blissfull madness =) One of the best from Gainax, wonderful music, great animation. it's a nonsensical series of OVA's, but if you liked Excel Saga, you will probably love this as well.

Gunsmith cats
it's my favourite manga and one of the best girls with guns, IMO (not that MO is worth anything, mind).

The other I would recommend have been recommended before.

Asdrubael said:
Blood the last vampire (film)
Live action or anime? the anime is great, the live action is not.

Funktion said:
By the way, I was wondering: is there any series available on DVD (old or recent) with the "cliché" noirish device of a detective/private investigator solving cases?
Kaze no Yojimo, perhaps? Trouble is, it was never released in the UK, while the R1 release is out of print and might be hard to find.

Not too helpful, then ^_^;

Justpa, I meant to say this before but if you go around saying Claymore has a great plot you'll end up looking like a bit of a tit. The only good part of the story is the Teresa flashback section, where the mother/daughter relationship of Clare and Teresa made it hard to forget, and the surprise head chop at the end making it legendary.

Shortly after that (in terms of the manga), the series goes to hell on the story and characterization fronts, it becoming no more than a shounen with more fights than usual. Illogical Clare power-ups and pointless fight after pointless fight, with incresingly boring executions - that's how Claymore goes after the end of the anime.

The anime stopped at the perfect time; right after the best fight in the series and before the series became stale. I gave it 9/10 for this reason. But the last two episodes contain some of the worst filler you're likely to see, and an ending that ended nothing... despite the last two episodes being 'original' in an attempt to end the story. I ignore their existence.

Also, as for DtB, it has the usual anime story from what I remember - not much. A lack of explantions and episodic content mask the issue, like with all those type of anime series that appear to have an epic plot but end flat. DtB only starts excellent - it then drops in quality and becomes a little dull.

Last edited by a moderator:
chaos said:
Asdrubael said:

Heh definitely the anime. I watched the live action film when it came out and was not impressed.

Just going back to the region 1 release of blood+, I got the first part box set (25 episodes) which came with a free T-shirt :p. The region 1 release second part box set is coming out on October 20th I think. Sometime in October. I haven't found any problems with the region 1 release

Aion - Added spoilers tag to your post. It is meant to be a surprise after all and yes, it did made my jaw drop to the floor.

Asdrubael said:
chaos said:
Asdrubael said:

Heh definitely the anime. I watched the live action film when it came out and was not impressed.
Good man.

unellmay said:
Mutsumi said:
Heat Guy J

Haha Funny joke

I think you meant cowboy bebop or its younger cousin samurai champloo

What an odd sense of humour you have, child. I'm sure at least your parents will laugh with you, out of sympathy if nothing else.

Heat Guy J
I've not seen it, but it looks sorta detectivey. Roboty too.

Mutsumi said:
unellmay said:
Mutsumi said:
Heat Guy J

Haha Funny joke

I think you meant cowboy bebop or its younger cousin samurai champloo

What an odd sense of humour you have, child. I'm sure at least your parents will laugh with you, out of sympathy if nothing else.

Heat Guy J
I've not seen it, but it looks sorta detectivey. Roboty too.

And to this day: Unellmay is still a f***tard.

I recommend Haibane Renmei, it's the same artist who did Serial Experiments Lain. Try out Nodame Cantibille. Genuine adults in University and a lot of classical music, if you like both, then go for it [No DVD release yet though =/].

And Witch Hunter Robin MIGHT do you some good. Not as much good as the likes of Ghost in the Shell, but still very enjoyable.

And also, avoid Gurren Lagaan at all cost. But you already knew that.

Chrono Mizaki said:
Edited the above, this is hardly constructive... Annoying as the font size change is, he has a point. The thread is asking for recommendations, how can one recommend something they haven't seen? They could explain why they recommend, but the first post didn't highlighted the facts Mutsumi shared on his(er?) followup post.

Chrono Mizaki said:
I recommend Haibane Renmei, it's the same artist who did Serial Experiments Lain. Try out Nodame Cantibille. Genuine adults in University and a lot of classical music, if you like both, then go for it [No DVD release yet though =/].
Haibane Renmei is absolutely fantastic sample of anime. It's sillier episodic cousin Neia under 7 is also good, if you like slow paced shows.
Nothing really happens in both shows, but they are beautifuly executed.
Kino's journey is also another slow paced, episodic show who tries to be very metaphorical. Sometimes it's a bit rubish, but when it's well done it is really great. One of my top ten.
Haven't seen Nodame cantabile, but so many people with good taste like this one, that I might consider getting it.

Chrono Mizaki said:
And Witch Hunter Robin MIGHT do you some good. Not as much good as the likes of Ghost in the Shell, but still very enjoyable.
Witch hunter and Wolf's rain - don't ask me why, but I usually thikn that both shows are great and go well together. Even though they are completely unrelated.

Chrono Mizaki said:
And also, avoid Gurren Lagaan at all cost. But you already knew that.
Gurren Lagann is not bad. The attitude of certain fans is, but classifying GL for the attitude of its fans is is the same thing as blaming an axe for an axe murderer.

chaos said:
Chrono Mizaki said:
Edited the above, this is hardly constructive... Annoying as the font size change is, he has a point. The thread is asking for recommendations, how can one recommend something they haven't seen? They could explain why they recommend, but the first post didn't highlighted the facts Mutsumi shared on his(er?) followup post.

I tend to judge anime on the box art & description on the back of the case. I Won volume 1 of Heat Guy J, & I chose if because it has 8 episodes per volume where the other prizes has far fewer.

I bet you I enjoy it when I watch it too. :p

chaos said:
Mutsumi shared on his(er?) followup post.

Whichever you want me to be darling. ;o xxx

Mutsumi said:
chaos said:

Definitely a guy then =)
I think you're a guy for some of your posts, but then again, you use Mutsumi from Love hina as a screen name and avatar...

I can't help, but find this confusing... :p

chaos said:
Mutsumi said:
chaos said:

Definitely a guy then =)
I think you're a guy for some of your posts, but then again, you use Mutsumi from Love hina as a screen name and avatar...

I can't help, but find this confusing... :p

Well some people still on this forum have met me in person & so may remember which one I am. *waves at hopeful_monster & McIcy*

I'll leave you guessing for a few more posts though. ;D

Back