Need a few recommendations on Anime series to watch

Funktion

Completely Average High School Student
In the last few years, I haven't followed many Anime series, so I'm a bit out of touch with most recent Anime offerings, and frankly most don't really say a thing to me because I don't even know what their about.

I'm looking for something new to watch, and I was wondering if anyone can recommend me some series based on my preferences.

I have no interest in series such as Dragon Ball Z and Naruto or similars, these kind of series never appealed to me.
I usually prefer more "adult" series (I'm not talking hentai here, I'm talking about the overall tone of the series, although the presence of violence and nudity don't upset me in the least), especially "mystery" or horror themed. For example, I enjoyed both Noir and the Hellsing TV series (and I particularly liked the visual styles and soundtracks of both), and even Detective Conan (which I found surprisingly enjoyable).

I also like cyber-punk themed Anime (GOTS, ...), older classic series such as Lupin III (which I always had a soft spot for) or even the insanity that is Excel Saga.

I recently ordered Darker than Black (out this month) and 009-1, and pre-ordered Shigurui on Blu-Ray, so count these 3 out.

I would appreciate your input. :)

unellmay said:
Ghost in the shell

Naked android chicks fighting crime nuf said
Already watched it (when I mentioned cyber-punk themed series, I mentioned GOTS: Ghost In The Shell). :)

unellmay said:
oh I wasn't actually reading it properly
how about gurren lagann aka the best show ever
No shows like Naruto. It's already been said.

See if Monster tickles your fancy. It's adult, mysterious and dark. Death Note, although extremely popular in comparison might fare you well also.

unellmay said:
oh I wasn't actually reading it properly
how about gurren lagann aka the best show ever

Read his post, srsly. He said he's seen Ghost in the Shell, and he said he doesn't want crap like Naruto.

OT:

I'm watching Sereii no Moributo which is very enjoyable, and above all, beutiful.

Have you seen Black Lagoon? It's very much action, so if you liked Hellsing, you could always try that. Some people don't find it to deep though.

Another show I recently finished is Trigun, and that was fantastic. A marvellous blend of comedy, action, and deep (and at times really pretty dark) story line. I'd really reccomend it. (Most people have seen it though- so I can only hope you haven't!)

I'm gonna say Berserk, before anyone else can. Blood, gore, violence, sex, great story line and characters, what more could you need? :p

If you're into Cyberpunk, I strongly recommend Serial Experiments Lain and Cowboy Bebop! I also second what the others have posted, bar Gurren Lagann (no offence, Unellmay)

I can't understand people who don't love tales of adventure and heartache
I hope I never do

Will-O'-The-Wisp said:
I'm gonna say Berserk, before anyone else can. Blood, gore, violence, sex, great story line and characters, what more could you need? :p

If you're into Cyberpunk, I strongly recommend Serial Experiments Lain and Cowboy Bebop! I also second what the others have posted, bar Gurren Lagann (no offence, Unellmay)

offence taken

Will-O'-The-Wisp said:

Speaking of Lain, how depressing is it? I heard it's very depressing which put me off watching it. I may blitz it in on a weekend or something though.

Spyro201 said:
Will-O'-The-Wisp said:

Speaking of Lain, how depressing is it? I heard it's very depressing which put me off watching it. I may blitz it in on a weekend or something though.

Hah, I wouldn't say it's depressing, but it might leave you with a blank expression on your face (or a look of confusion depending on how you took the series in).

It's not a long series (11 episodes long maybe?), so I recommend you go ahead with it :D

Will-O'-The-Wisp said:
Hah, I wouldn't say it's depressing, but it might leave you with a blank expression on your face (or a look of confusion depending on how you took the series in).

It's not a long series (11 episodes long maybe?), so I recommend you go ahead with it :D

Haha. I thought it was 13, but at 11, I could get that done in a day :)

(I used to watch 15 episodes of Bleach a day... ah those were the days. As soon as I got home from school i'd be infront of the PC watching a crap stream from VEOH cause I didn't have the hard drive space to download. Ah the same with Death Note and GITS too. I wonder how long until another truely fantastic series that grips me like that will take to arise?)

You want adult and depressing, try Texhnolyze.
Claymore is turning out well so far, although I heard some negative opinions about the ending. Paranoia Agent is well worth a spin. If you haven't already, invest in Gunslinger Girl!

I can't see how gurren lagann is the same as naruto though except that it has action in which casecrap like bleach and ghost in the shell are like naruto too

Just Passing Through said:
Claymore is turning out well so far, although I heard some negative opinions about the ending. Paranoia Agent is well worth a spin. If you haven't already, invest in Gunslinger Girl!

How did I forget that!?!?

Paranoia Agent is ace. Make sure you watch it Funk 8)

unellmay said:
I can't see how gurren lagann is the same as naruto though except that it has action in which casecrap like bleach and ghost in the shell are like naruto too

Gurren Lagann and Naruto are basically cheery-generic-I'm-going-to-become-so-and-so-and-act-like-a-man-and-if-the-heavens try-to-stop-me-or-even-Kami-sama-himself-than-I'll-peirce-it-and-become-so-and-so-and-ascend-above-everyone-one-else-so-no-one-will-look-down-on-me-sort-of-anime.

I'm not trying to take a stab at your favourite fanboy inducing series here, but that is what they have in common

Also, I agree with Just Passing Through'sClaymore recommendation, The anime is brilliant and (with the last 2 filler episodes being an exception), stays loyal to the manga :D

Will-O'-The-Wisp said:
unellmay said:

Gurren Lagann and Naruto are basically cheery-generic-I'm-going-to-become-so-and-so-and-act-like-a-man-and-if-the-heavens try-to-stop-me-or-even-Kami-sama-himself-than-I'll-peirce-it-and-become-so-and-so-and-ascend-above-everyone-one-else-so-no-one-will-look-down-on-me-sort-of-anime.

I'm not trying to take a stab at your favourite fanboy inducing series here, but that is what they have in common

Generic wut?
I don't thinks there's anything else like them *Plugs ears*

LALALALA I'M NOT LISTENING!!!!

unellmay, Gurren Lagann is definitely a name I came across a lot recently, but to be honest the previews and clips I watched didn't really raise much interest in me. I'm not the biggest fan of mecha anime series. :)

---

Jayme said:
See if Monster tickles your fancy. It's adult, mysterious and dark.
Wow, after a few quick checks this series looks awesome! I was totally unaware of it. It doesn't seem to be available on DVD at the moment though (are there any releases confirmed?).

As for Death Note, I watched part of the series (one of the channels I have on cable, Animax, is always showing it), but then I missed a few episodes, so I'm waiting for a re-run to properly watch the show. I did see the 2 live-action films.

---

Mutsumi said:
Great Teacher Onizuka
Cromartie High School
Blue Gender
Gundam Wing
Thanks for your suggestions. Great Teacher Onizuka is on my wishlist for years now. :)
Cromartie High School is also on my list, since I recently became aware of the series. It seems like crazy over-the-top fun. The R2 full set of the series is currently available quite cheap, do you know if it includes all features from the individual releases?

---

Spyro201, thanks for the suggestions. I already watched Trigun. I'll add Moributo to my list. As for Black Lagoon, I was already aware of the series, and it's one I was considering for my next purchase.
Funnily enough, I didn't order it yet because it seemed too much action-heavy for my tastes. Even though I enjoyed Hellsing, I usually prefer "slower" Anime. :)

---

Will-O'-The-Wisp, Berserk is definitely a name I came across before, but I honestly never looked into it. I'll add it to my list. It seems depressingly violent. :)
As for Serial Experiments Lain and Cowboy Bebop, I already watched them.

---

Just Passing Through said:

Texhnolyze is already on my list. I was considering it as one of my next purchases, but I ended up not ordering it because I've seen some very negative comments on the plot of the series. Is it a worthwhile watch?
As for Claymore and Gunslinger Girl, I must confess while the clips I just watched were visually interesting, they didn't do much for me. Which one do you consider to be better, plot-wise?
Paranoia Agent is another case. I really enjoy Satoshi Kon's work (one of my first Blu-Ray purchases was Paprika), so I really want to watch the series. When the series was released, I always delayed my purchase of the US releases for some reason or another. Recently I wanted to order it, but the R2 UK release is cut, and currently I only have my Blu-Ray player connected (which only plays R2 or region-free DVDs, as opposed to my older DVD player which was unlocked to play all regions). Since I'm currently in the middle of moving to a new house, I'll have to wait until I'm settled, so that I can connect my multi-region DVD player again.

---

Thanks for your suggestions. :)

Funktion said:
unellmay, Gurren Lagann is definitely a name I came across a lot recently, but to be honest the previews and clips I watched didn't really raise much interest in me. I'm not the biggest fan of mecha anime series. :)

Seriously? this doesn't raise your interest?
it's no normal mecha I can tell you that

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QVb8nKj6iYo&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QVb8nKj6iYo&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Funktion said:
Mutsumi said:
Great Teacher Onizuka
Cromartie High School
Blue Gender
Gundam Wing
Thanks for your suggestions. Great Teacher Onizuka is on my wishlist for years now. :)
Cromartie High School is also on my list, since I recently became aware of the series. It seems like crazy over-the-top fun. The R2 full set of the series is currently available quite cheap, do you know if it includes all features from the individual releases?

I am afraid I do not know, as I own the region 1 thinpak, which has only the episodes & no extra features. Cromartie is crazy btw. ^_^ Crazy but without being hyperactive. Also the GTO live action is ace.

Also, I will second the recommendation of Cowboy Bebop. ^_^

Back