Nakama Britannica Portal (wtf?) - Remove

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd rather have the portal linking to the latest reviews, articles and if we do another round of Nakama blogs then throw that in the mix. It's always good promoting the sites original content. The majority of the blogs are so inactive now that having a blog portal is largely pointless.

Arbalest said:
On the note of keep non-anime/manga blogs out of the loop, no. Nakama Britannica was primarily made not to just get people blogging about those, but just to see who is blogging, and who maybe interested in doing so. And in many ways its done just that. It certainly started off well but not so many people have added anything as of late(myself included). I wouldn't want it removed personally, but i would like to see more people getting involved with it, or those that already blog that are on the forums added to it.

It's one thing to blog something, but to go out of your way to attack someone and blog their personal details... I don't think it should be removed, but we don't need to see that. Any chance of deleting links to blogs like that?

Will-O'-The-Wisp said:
Arbalest said:
On the note of keep non-anime/manga blogs out of the loop, no. Nakama Britannica was primarily made not to just get people blogging about those, but just to see who is blogging, and who maybe interested in doing so. And in many ways its done just that. It certainly started off well but not so many people have added anything as of late(myself included). I wouldn't want it removed personally, but i would like to see more people getting involved with it, or those that already blog that are on the forums added to it.

It's one thing to blog something, but to go out of your way to attack someone and blog their personal details... I don't think it should be removed, but we don't need to see that. Any chance of deleting links to blogs like that?

I have no power over NB at all, so i can't say anything on those matters. Rui or chaos would be the ones to ask really i would imagine.

Arbalest said:
Will-O'-The-Wisp said:
Arbalest said:

I have no power over NB at all, so i can't say anything on those matters. Rui or chaos would be the ones to ask really i would imagine.

Some mod you are.....

I just looked at the blogs myself including several from the guy being bashed and really they just seemed harmless but perhaps taken too far. Her reaction by her and her followers however just seems ridiculous and out of proportion.

Anyway, how about linking to MAL reviews by users here? I'm assuming it's possible since we can link to new deviantart entries.

unellmay said:
Some mod you are.....
Mods only have power over the forum (editing/deleting posts, moving/pinning topics and so forth) and despite being attached to the bottom of the forum it's a separate frame controlled by the admins.

unellmay said:
Arbalest said:
Will-O'-The-Wisp said:
Arbalest said:

Some mod you are.....

I'm a moderator of the forum, not of the site as a whole. The admins have control of the rest, so they deal with the coding, new sections to the site, etc etc.

@Sy: I would imagine that would work out fine, it'd just be the same as linking to deviantart as you said, and i'm sure that would get NB more active for sure.

I have no power that I know of over NB either, sorry. I'm a forum admin and have never strayed into working on other parts of the site.

I have nothing against Sonia but I think those last posts should probably have been on a more personal blog or (ideally) friendlocked. It's an uncomfortable situation and weird to see them constantly under every post.

Sy said:
Anyway, how about linking to MAL reviews by users here? I'm assuming it's possible since we can link to new deviantart entries.

This does sound like an interesting idea...

R

Too be honest, I would of thought if people were ACTUALLY interested in the NB, they would go to the portal area 1st, then click on the range given... If you're not interested, then why click? :shrug:

But in this issue, I dont think anyone would have a problem if the blog had some anime/manga related stuff involved, and then they would talk about other things in their life (football, a recent date etc.)
However, if the blogger or anything on NB is used as JUST a place to blog random stuff etc, forgetting about anything to do with anime, then it should be written off.

I agree that people are going to have more life than a TV, DVDs, manga and a place to watch/read it. So they should be given some breathing room to express themselves. But otherwise, if the content is drifting from an audience and theme it's aime for, then it's pointless to read it.

I disagree, I used to enjoy reading the chocolate blog and that had nothing to do with anime. More than being anime related or not the problem is that there is practically zero activity. Get more blogs and updates feeding through and it'll be fine.

I know you don't want the convo to go on about their argument but you made me read it all by making this thread :p

Even though her retaliation was ridiculously out of proportion, he has made a post apologising. She made a small comment part way through the comments on her post acknowledging she should have contacted him directly at the start and how it's out of proportion.

This will probably now mean that the argument is over and you won't see any more posts linked to the portal about it

Rui said:
Sy said:

This does sound like an interesting idea...

R
How would you propose to do that? MAL doesn't have RSS Feeds for MAL reviews.

Impossible or not, it's a great idea. It'd mean everyone would see my low rated reviews on the main page - no more C&Ping to review threads. People get to read my enlightening attempts at reviewing and won't see Sonia being a bitch. Win-win, I say.

Aion said:
Define weird. I'm a sane, rational and perfectly normal person. I hate people and prefer to see humans hurt over animals, but apart from that I'm as normal as can be.
If you add intolerant to that list of qualities, I couldn't agree more with that.

If you hate people so much, why did you ask Paul to let you back? Seriously, I think you simply love to hate people, don't you? :p

Aion said:
I simply no longer wish to see blog posts made by an in-active drama queen who has a legion of moronic fanboys.
You can look away then.

Aion said:
If there were three consecutive blog posts made by me showing there'd be no issue as my posts are all insightful and I'm active around these parts, but that isn't the case.
If you blog send me the link to your RSS / Atom feed and I'll add it to it.

Aion said:
Having the blog posts of in-active members showing is silly. Really, what does her internet drama have to do with this forum?
Nothing really, but apparently out of the 54 bloggers in AUKN, she is the most active. Even Paul and Maxon stopped blogging it seems and they were reasonably active as well.

ayase said:
I read those last night and did wonder about their relevance to anime and manga. I guess the software just links to any new blog post regardless of what it's about. It'll be gone soon enough when others blog, but you have a point Aion, it does strike me as a little bad that AUKN is linking to a personal internet feud on every page of the forum.
I can remove this once I get back home later. Didn't login here at all this weekend.

Mutsumi said:
How do you get on this blog list? I'd be happy to add mine. :)
PM me the link to your RSS / Atom feed.

Aion said:
*ahem* Anyway, on topic. Like I said before, the AUKN blog thing should be removed... if there's no way to make sure that only anime or manga content gets shown. Simple as that. Right now it's being abused, it being used a platform for attention seekers to get more attention -- attention seekers who don't contribute to the forum.

This thread is rather pointless when Chaos will do nothing (as ever), but at least it's a good place to point at laugh at Ms. Cosplay Whore.
Google and Yahoo rankings 101: The more links a website has, the better it will show on the results. NB stays.

We should try to become more active again though, but recently myself and writers alike have been busy. AUKN is nothing, but a hobby to AUKN staff.

I must tell you that I resent your comments. If I'm so useless, why the hell do you use the website I mantain with my work? I didn't create it, but still I'm the one who tries to keep everything running smoothly.

the only thing that comes to mind is Rollins band's Low self-opinion:
http://www.lyricsfreak.com/h/henry+roll ... 65401.html

Aion said:
I'll leave the topic until Chaos says, "I see no reason to do anything because I don't ever do a thing."
I see loads and loads of personal attacks to me in here... I told you before. I'm a very easy-going person, but the BIG man here don't forget things so easily.

Mutsumi said:
Though she should understand that if she looks good & shows that much skin in a good outfit, people will be attracted, sometimes too much so. She did look really good though, which she should be proud of.
Haven't seen the posts here as LJ is blocked at work, but I must agree with you. IMO, if you post publicly something, it doesn't belongs to you anymore and people can do whatever the hell they want with it.

If you don't want people to do that, use some friend-locked blog or something.

ayase said:
The way I look at it, anime is what brings us together as our primary interest, but we have other interests too (many of which we happen to share) and talking about those is one of the things which helps create a sense of community.
I agree. In a way, I think I met really nice people IRL because of the forums. The ones I've met the most to go to the cinema, expos, cons, etc are not even very active in here, but still are great person and really nice to hang around with.

ayase said:
I can remember people complaining that that's something we lack (I happen to disagree) but if you stipped out anything not anime related we'd have even less.
I believe it's just the way you place yourself in here. My personal feelings are that most of the people here are nice and I'd actually like to meet them in person.

Arbalest said:
Very true. We have many blogs there, but very few actually blog anything.

Sy said:
If MAL have RSS feed, we could add that. Facebook and Twitter have RSS if I'm not mistaken, might add Manga twits and the likes to it, although I'm not sure it would be any useful.

Sy said:
unellmay said:
Some mod you are.....
Mods only have power over the forum (editing/deleting posts, moving/pinning topics and so forth) and despite being attached to the bottom of the forum it's a separate frame controlled by the admins.

Mods can edit / delete posts and lock threads.
Admin does all that and ban people as well.

I also have access to the website DB and code, where we hack phpBB to add custom stuff, such as NB.

chaos said:
Nothing really, but apparently out of the 54 bloggers in AUKN, she is the most active. Even Paul and Maxon stopped blogging it seems and they were reasonably active as well.
I don't know about Paul, but anime blogging just isn't worth the bother to me unless you're good at being able to express yourself in writing as well as being interesting. Really, no-one seemed that interested in what I was writing because I was lucky to get one comment on an article every few months, and it seems to be the same for other blogs I've read via the NB portal. When you factor in the huge number of anime blogs on the internet that post the same crappy opinions on the latest moe garbage, but still get more comments and hits, you really lose your motivation.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't want a bit of popularity, but I really just want people to be at least interested enough in what I have to say to make a comment.

Paul is still popping away last time I checked. I think the thing with blogging, or scratch that, anime blogging is not so much about expressing yourself with words (although the ability to form a sentence may come in handy) but more to get into the community more. One comedic blog I came across once (a long time ago) popped into my head here: Baka Raptor. I haven't even read many of the posts, but just look at the amount of comments. Something, aside from persistence, must have gone right there. Epic Win is another blog that gained followers extremely quickly. It started and boom, they had a ton of comments. They only can have done this by establishing themselves as people, then opening a blog.

Popularity is the key to intimacy.

It's true bloggers require the ability to express themselves and use English correctly. However, like everything in life, the amount of readers is governed by the popularity of the person typing. If the person typing isn't loved, no-one will care - there are plenty of faceless people with opinions on the internet.

Take MAL reviews for example. The top 10/5 reviewers are able to get 20+ positive votes per review. Other reviewers struggle to get readers for the most part, often getting a lot of negative votes. Unless your review goes along with the majority, is for something not reviewed much/new and the review is very well written, it isn't going to go well.

My 'loveable' personality, combined with my almost unique ability to make an error in every sentence I type, makes blogging a no go with me. I prefer making endless forum posts instead.

Aion said:
My 'loveable' personality, combined with my almost unique ability to make an error in every sentence I type, makes blogging a no go with me. I prefer making endless forum posts instead.
I'm no good with english, but you seem pretty aritculate to me. Wouldn't that suffice?

I'm not particularly bothered enough to read this entire thread, but I agree with Aion's original post. The Nakama Britannica portal was a lovely idea, it didn't work out; get rid of it. And Sonia, the stunningly average comic artist (it's not ******* 'manga', you are not creating it in Japan for a Japanese audience in the Japanese language!) is indeed an unpleasant, hysterical character and her assault on that man is disgustingly unacceptable and AUKN (and indeed, any other site) should not be vehicle for it. She posts suggestive pictures of herself that are clearly sexual in nature all the time and then is outraged when someone has a sexual reaction to them? It's absurd and the less of her ridiculous melodramatics, the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back